internet access in a van for dummies?

• hi I have a problem which I'm sure there is an easy answer but I am a complete technodummy, my kind father got me a tablet at Xmas which I'm chuffed with and can visit this site more often but it's not got 3g so been tethering with my smartphone something I learned I could do a couple of days ago but it's eating all my data very quickly if I'm on iplayer or watch a movie, I can't get unlimited data on my network (o2) and didn't really wanna change network if I can help it, I have been reading about a 3g router maybe this is the answer, I'm sure you guys have internet in your vans and was hoping for some tips on getting around this problem.

• I found with my lap top , some places , Cheedle Hulme comes to mind has free wifi through out the town or did 3 years ago.Or just drive round till you find someone who has an unsecure router , I found in Bristol , I could often have at least 3 connections to choose from , works best in very built up posh areas.Not sure on the ethics of this , but I was playing a game that required logigng on regularly and it got me out of a tight corner .:S

• Hey there ldvlady, If you want to stream movies or anything it would be best to find an usecure WiFi network, be advised that if you are logging onto a personal network in someones house thats unsecured it is illegal, but me being African feels that if you are going to have an unsecured network and I dont have intentions of hacking into their system or downloading any illegal stuff, then fare game. Macdonalds has free wifi as do a lot of cafes and roadside dinners these days you can log into. If you gonna use it more for just surfing and chatting on here and Facebook, then 3 has a reall nifty little dongle thats wireless and can pair up to about 4 items if I am not mistaken. It can be placed in your van anywhere, plugged into the power and will put out a WiFi internet signel for you to logg in to.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/…2963?crossSellParent=2433

Thats the link to it and at £18 a month for 15GB ist bad...

I do hope this has helped you.

Zim:thumbup:

• Giff gaff sim with £12 goodybag. Gives you 1 month unlimited internet unlimted text and 250mins. Just dont use more than 1gig of data an hour or more than 3gb in one day...they use 02 network so it should work in ur phone.

• I have 3g dongle and a 2.5 meter extension lead which helps with reception in some areas. I put the dongle on the bus roof. Free wifi in some towns or as mentioned unsecured internet in urban areas. I have been using 3g for 4 years now and signal strength and coverage has improved in the last two years. Check online if you will be in the reception area. There is a directional handheld antenna booster on the market. Which can help you pick up a good signal, secured or not from nearby villages/towns/cities

• you get unlimited net everymonth you buy a £12 goodybag, its not meant for tethering but as long as you dont download more than 1gb every hour or a total of 3gb per day,it works fine for surfing and watching videos, approx 20 ish youtube music videos takes you nearly to 1gb or 3 hd tv programe downloads the same. ive seen some people use it for running one of those xbox things online to play games.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• After your month of unlimited internet, how much bandwidth do you get a month?

its unlimited internet everymonth with a £12 goodybag. its not meant for tethering but as long as you dont use more than 1gb per hour or over 3gb in one day its ok. watching about 20 you tube music videos is nearly 1gb and downloading 3 hdtv tv programs uses similar. get just over 2mbps on my laptop.

• I do everything with a T-Mobile dongle, got rid of the landline and fixed contract and saved a small fortune. I use the same dongle for my desktop, laptop and netbook where ever I happen to be. I love the flexibility of being able to connect to any windows device anywhere there is a mobile signal and not being tied to a contract. I still download all my fave TV shows, movies, music for 15 quid a month. There are speed restrictions after a certain amount of data use but there are several ways around this.

• Well until we all get 4g connections and start streaming video....

Wireless will take much of the strain off the 4G networks, much more powerfull city wide wireless networks are on the way, DARPA are trialing wireless with a 300-500mile range to save them using satellites or laying their own cable into unfriendly areas. Over the next few years mobile internet is going to become the norm, the days when bandwidth was an issue will seem like ancient history.

• Just checked out the sim only deals linked in this thread, and they all state tethering is not permitted.
    What i wanna know is, unless your up to no good downloading loads of illegal stuff via bit torrents, how are they going to know your tethering? The only way I can see is from the content and quantity of downloaded files. If your just a regular web user doing everything above board, how will they know if your browsing on a phone or a laptop tethered to the phone?
    Any ideas?

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• Just checked out the sim only deals linked in this thread, and they all state tethering is not permitted.

Ah my bad ... I'm on Three and I often tether my phone, I clearly didn't read the T&C for the other tarrifs. :o

What i wanna know is, unless your up to no good downloading loads of illegal stuff via bit torrents, how are they going to know your tethering?

Possibly from the size of the web pages you're viewing etc.

I wonder if the "no tethering" rule applies to 3g tablets ...

Edit: Answered my own question:

http://ask3.three.co.uk/srvs/c…sername=Mobile:mobileUser

What i wanna know is, unless your up to no good downloading loads of illegal stuff via bit torrents, how are they going to know your tethering? The only way I can see is from the content and quantity of downloaded files. If your just a regular web user doing everything above board, how will they know if your browsing on a phone or a laptop tethered to the phone?
    Any ideas?

Ive just used over 8gb with my laptop tethered to my giff gaff sim last month. and have just paid for another month and they told me how much ive used, no problems. 3 have the only sim card that has tethering allowed, its called the one tarrif. the 3 one sim is £25 month unlimited tethering and 5000 texts and 2000 mins on a rolling one month contract,

• I do everything with a T-Mobile dongle, got rid of the landline and fixed contract and saved a small fortune. I use the same dongle for my desktop, laptop and netbook where ever I happen to be. I love the flexibility of being able to connect to any windows device anywhere there is a mobile signal and not being tied to a contract. I still download all my fave TV shows, movies, music for 15 quid a month. There are speed restrictions after a certain amount of data use but there are several ways around this.

Have to agree here. I have both t-mobile and vodafone pay as you go dongles. T-mobile seems to be the better in terms of value for money and subjectively seems to have better coverage around the UK. Hard stats might prove me wrong on this though. And not having a fixed contract is a real beauty. Honestly, after handing in the keys to my flat and cancelling all those contracts I wonder why anyone bothers with them. Pay as you go and simply change providers if a better deal comes along - no cancellation fees and for me pay as you go has worked out much cheaper.

• Thats the one im on Zim !:waves:

TBH as long as your not caning YT or films it really is better than a house connection.....

it tells you when your within 20% left in credit so with the account i regularly top it up probably weekly or so and im never aware of it yelling at me sayong its hungry !!lol

thomas eta ....thats on PAYG

• I'm quite tempted by one of these. Obviously you need a wifi connection near by, but if there is, it massively increases your chance of being able to use it and it's less then £20. :)