Postal Forwarding and Adresses

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey there to yall, and Happy New Year...

I was wondering how many of you are using a postal forwarding service or some sort of a service to use as an address for insurance tax etc? I have read many threads on quite a few Forums and it seems to be a very common problem. People needing an address to register their vehicle whilst they are out on the road living the free life... I am considering starting up a service accepting post and forwarding it onto travellers and offering an physical address for them to register their vans to for tax and ins puposes.

I would be interested if anyone can send me web addresses for companys doing this, for market research, and a show of hands who would be interested in a service like this.

Zim

• I'm not sure so please correct me if I am wrong, but that would be an illegal service as insurance is a legal document relating to ownership and where vehicle is most likely to be. If you don't actually live where you say, you're insurance is void. I had this trouble whilst living at university as technically I had two addresses (home & uni) for my land rover. It's not like it's just a correspendence thing.

Don't quite know about the V5, but again if you're not actually living where you say you are, you could be in trouble. Using a family member or close friend is a far more likely story i.e. 'I was inbetween accomodation and so such and such stepped in'..but actually paying for the use of an address (like your proposed service) sounds more like fraud. I don't know, but I would be very careful on the legalities as you yourself may well be liable should things go wrong as you are basically saying somebody lives at your address when they don't.

Post Office boxes and such for companies is a different ball game as it's a correspendance thing, not an actually address.

Like I said though, not entirely sure - all seems a very grey area which is why I'd try and stay on the clearer side of it all. All the best for anything though :)

• I'm not sure so please correct me if I am wrong, but that would be an illegal service as insurance is a legal document relating to ownership and where vehicle is most likely to be. If you don't actually live where you say, you're insurance is void.

If you have the correct insurance they will know you live in the van and it could be anywhere so a forwarding address will do just fine, in fact my company prefer email and will even send your policy for you to print out and sign if you want them to.

Your driving license and V5 are a different matter though as long as you can be contacted via the address provided there's not much they can do.

As to setting up a business doing it, I'd be very wary of that, who would be liable if you failed to pass on a document or were accused of failing to pass one on?

• All still a bit shady and having use of somewhere to get mailed delivered is not the same as saying where you live. And even then, under terms and conditions, sect 20;

In order to activate the mailbox service the Customer is required to provide:

• the full name, address and telephone number of all persons for whom mail is
      to be received, held or forwarded;
    • the nature of business to be undertaken or reason for rental where rental is
      not for business purposes. A business can be defined as an activity involving
      the sale of goods and/or services;

• two original forms of identification for all persons for whom mail is to be
      received, held or forwarded, of a type approved by the Company, including a
      ‘proof of identity’ and a ‘proof of address.’ A full list is held at mbe.co.uk/mailboxID. The Company may disclose this information
      if requested by an appropriate authority or if required for the pursuit of legal
      action.

Popuptoaster I stand corrected on the insurance.

• Busted!

:( Bye! :waves:

• How do these guys do it then?? http://www.mbe.co.uk/mailbox_services/rent_a_mailbox.aspx . I would assume there would have to be some sort of trust...

Also 8) of terms and conditions. The Customer undertakes not to use the Mailbox Service for any purpose which in the Company’s considered opinion may be deemed to be illegal or antisocial and if it does so it acknowledges that the Company may report the same to any relevant authority; and not to send or deliver or permit to be sent or delivered to the Premises any illegal, defamatory, obscene, dangerous or bulky object or material. This has been tried many a time. During the late 1980's a traveler friend set up a similar service for a few friends and then to friends of friends. A whole Heep of shit came her way. DHSS accused her of benefit fraud. The terms of her housing contract had been breached (running a business from the address) this resulted in her loosing her home and still having to pay rent until end of her contract. There was loads of small loans taken out against the property address and utility bills used as proof. HP taken out on a motorcycle to a person residing on paper at her address. It was a right mess. You could run it as a above board business and if you were covered with enough insurance for yourself and clients or franchise to a company like the one you linked to. Lots of us use friends addresses and keep it low key. After all, you can't go screwing over your friends.

• Friends and families addresses are the way to go. I would never use the service of someone I didn't know. What if I got a speeding ticket and they didn't pass it on or something like that? I'd have my numberplate flagged up, end up in court and get all sorts of hassle from the pigs. Or if your insurance skipped a payment or two and decided to cancel on you, what if they didn't let you know? You'd be driving around uninsured and could get your vehicle crushed, points on your license, massive fine, etc.

When your vehicle is your home, it's the most important thing you own. I'd never let someone I didn't know handle my documents for me.

I have had insurance companies send my documents to my Dads address even after I'd informed them I wasn't living there. I just explained that I lived on a big and sometimes chaotic farm and that I was worried about things getting lost so if they could just send them there it would be far easier for me. They had no problem with that at all.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Another good point. Well it was an idea.

Only brought into sharp focus for me recently by the fact that I actually got a speeding ticket and the first letter went missing!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I am lucky to have a really good work address, that sounds residential. It's actually Unit x, No.X Something St and is an office in a small light industrial area, but stick x, X Something St and it sounds like a flat. Lots of my boater friends use the post restante system http://www.postoffice.co.uk/poste-restante and use a friend/family's address to post their mail on to a post office where it is held.