What Do You Do

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I really would love to cast off these chains of living in brick and morter, but I have this nagging question, what do I do to make money and survive out on the road?? So I pass the question over to you full timers out there, what do you do to make money out on the road to pay the MOT, Tax, Insurance a few small bils like mobile broad band, mobile phone, food and that nest tank of juice for the next adventure?

Will be very interested to see responces.

• I can't work at the moment because I have M.E. but I used to do all sorts of things. If I needed a big amount of money in a short amount of time, I'd go to temping agencies and just go door to door until I found one that would give me work the next day. I always used to give them my dads address and tell them I was moving to their part of the country and staying in my motorhome until I'd found a flat and could give them a local address.

I did all sorts of stuff from hotel chambermaid to warehouse work, delivery driver etc. Look for the really short term stuff that isn't worth signing off job seekers for.

To keep myself going throughout the summer I just used to go festival to festival working in exchange for food. If I wanted money I'd collect beers that people left behind in the public camping and sell them at the next festival. Give lifts to people for fuel money and did cooking or washing up in exchange for extra food.

Other things I used to do was when I had a bit of money I'd buy things wholesale off eBay and sell them at places like stone circles or wherever hippies would gather. Incense holders, purses, jewellery etc. I also used to buy juggling and poi equipment in wholesale and sell them along with lessons in how to use them!

There's loads of different ways to make money on the road. Some people even hold down full time jobs and just travel around that area. Or if you are good with computers you could work from home doing IT type stuff because mobile internet is actually getting pretty affordable now.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• When I was ont road I went calling for scrap metal most of the year , and fruit picking in the autumn. Sold food at free festivals in the summer in the old days.

Now I have settled down I do a little bit of tree work(usually cos no one else wants to do it ) and sell surplus eggs and veg from our gate .

• At the moment I'm working full time whilst living on the road, come march I will leave my main job but keep my small windowcleaning round going, this will mean doing 4 days work every 3 weeks of so! Then wandering around with a full tank of fuel and food in cupboards before returning for another 4 days work

• At the moment I'm working full time whilst living on the road, come march I will leave my main job but keep my small windowcleaning round going, this will mean doing 4 days work every 3 weeks of so! Then wandering around with a full tank of fuel and food in cupboards before returning for another 4 days work

Can you play the ukalaley? :D

• i just worked in construction one year of saving hard whilst living in my van has so far funded one year of traveling Europe and i expect to be away a further 6 months.. i used to do lots of fruit and veg picking back when i was younger... forgot to mention that i do a bit of helpx ing whilst on my travels...

• doing 4 days work every 3 weeks of so! Then wandering around with a full tank of fuel and food in cupboards before returning for another 4 days work

Jay - Wow, how much do you charge to clean windows? A full tank of fuel, and food in the cupboards for 3 weeks.

I reckon I spend between £25 and £35 a week on food, and I don't have luxuries in that. Pasta, pasta, more pasta and oh yeah, pasta. Some tinned tomatoes, fresh veg, 1 portion of meat, nuts, tuna and pasta. Maybe some rice. Coffee and sugar. Some pasta and maybe some more pasta. Food shopping is SO expensive!

And fuel. How big is your tank. Does a full tank last you 3 weeks?

Zimee: You can still live in a van and hold down your regular job. Just 'cause you moved out from bricks and mortar shouldn't change what job you currently do.

• Charge around £3 per house and 4 days should give me £350+ and that's a 4-5 hour day! Full tank is £150 and gets me 400+ miles, not planning on driving every day, and like you I can eat real well on £30 a week when on my own!

• Hey there guys, thanks for all the feedback, its been brilliant and very helpful. At present I am unemployed, with not a whole lot of work available in the area at the moment, thats one of the reasons I want to live in the van and move to where the work is. I was signed off sick for a while but decided I had to try and sort my life out. I wanted to learn how to weld but finding a company to take on a 40 year old guy to train is near impossible.

I will have to make the plunge one day and just live the life.

Thanks again yall...

• Hey there guys, thanks for all the feedback, its been brilliant and very helpful. At present I am unemployed, with not a whole lot of work available in the area at the moment, thats one of the reasons I want to live in the van and move to where the work is. I was signed off sick for a while but decided I had to try and sort my life out. I wanted to learn how to weld but finding a company to take on a 40 year old guy to train is near impossible.

I will have to make the plunge one day and just live the life.

Thanks again yall...

Does your local coleg not run a welding course or local garage in exchange for being a lacci. If you are still on the sick it is poss in wales to get on courses funded by back to work scheme, obviously be careful as it may not suit your situation. As for age do not let that worry you as most peeps have at least 3 different career directions in a life time, and you have loads of other useful experience.
    Hope your plans come to fruition :D MF

• You can learn how to MIG weld from the internet, then its just down to practice and experience for what settings you need for each job.

I bought a half price welder from a man in a van :angel: and used up several old car doors and wings learning to stitch them together, I got better as i built brackets and stuff for my car projects.

To be honest i've not really been taught very much over the years, if you just get on and try stuff with some pointers you can usually manage most things.

I bought my camper knowing it needs work, i know diddly squat about camper vans, American wiring/plumbing/heating, or Yanky V8 engines, but I just assumed I'd be able to find out anything i couldn't work out myself.

Find a relevant forum for what you're interested in and just start asking questions, then have a go, its easy to make excuses not to try this stuff.

• Thats so true bud...

• Indeed in lovely brussel sprout green with a tinge of blue cheese, was it only the urals that were 650s. the memory fades with the mists of time

Yep 650s. Had guzzis myself , but always had a soft spot for mz s , oops sox going of topic now! Must be that time of night.

• 20 odd years ago I had a CZ that seized up so I fitted a Jawa motorcross engine in it that had far to much power for the poor old CZ drum brakes and wobbly "handling", man that was a fun bike, guaranteed if I left it ticking over somewhere an old guy would appear from nowhere thinking he could hear an old British bike. :D

• Yep 650s. Had guzzis myself , but always had a soft spot for mz s , oops sox going of topic now! Must be that time of night.

Oh the joys of MZs and there lottery of first or reverse, do nt forget steve mcqueen used a cossack in the great escape, took me years to spot that dniper. Guzzis lovely italian design with a dash of tractor, built for time and speed.
    What I do is ramble on whats the question :)

• Oh the joys of MZs and there lottery of first or reverse, do nt forget steve mcqueen used a cossack in the great escape, took me years to spot that dniper. Guzzis lovely italian design with a dash of tractor, built for time and speed.What I do is ramble on whats the question :)

That's why I love my Merc, reminds me of moto guzzis, ? Was urals.