Don't They Just Drive You Mad?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've been heading towards a meat free lifestyle for some time now. Although I've never really been a regular meat eater anyway. These days I only eat the odd piece of Chicken once a month, if that, & maybe Lamb. Although come new year, I will stop consuming this as well.

I'm certainly not educated on a grand scale about the cons of vegetarianism. For me the reason is simply that there's far too many negative reasons on why I shouldn't eat meat.

My main gripe is the Spanish inquisition I get in restaurants from my friends on why I'm not ordering meat. It truly frustrates me when they challenge me on my choices.

Does anyone else here have to put up with this kind of harassment?

• It's the people who say ' Try it, you don't know what you're missing!'

Yes I do: Factory farming, cruelty and growth hormones. Really, I like lentils.

• yes i don't think it's uncommon! i found if you then explain why you're not, you can get accused of preaching. some people just want to take the piss for some reason.

they can sod off as far as i'm concerned.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• i found if you then explain why you're not, you can get accused of preaching. some people just want to take the piss for some reason.

Very true.

It's choices that go against the grain that seem to garner criticism. If you want an alcohol free evening, you tend to get harassed to the point of madness to have a drink.

• oh yes i've had that one too.
    sometimes it feels like people think you're criticising them because of your choice, so they get defensive.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Sometimes I feel it would be wise to print out a leaflet and just hand it over when interrogated. I don't always have the energy to educate people. And if I keep it simple and just say 'I'm not in favour of cruelty to animals,' people do get defensive.

• you think that you have got it bad in the uk ! The french look at you as if you have just come from planet zog,when you ask for that lovely stew,but without the meat in it. I too,eat very little in the way of meat and am considerate to farming methods and animal cruelty,but am a total weirdo in their eyes.

I learnt the great lesson about not giving a shit many years ago,and I recommend that you learn the same thing,as it makes life much more simple.
    If your happy,then ignore the twats.

Love and light

Fly

• I've been heading towards a meat free lifestyle for some time now. Although I've never really been a regular meat eater anyway. These days I only eat the odd piece of Chicken once a month, if that, & maybe Lamb. Although come new year, I will stop consuming this as well.I'm certainly not educated on a grand scale about the cons of vegetarianism. For me the reason is simply that there's far too many negative reasons on why I shouldn't eat meat.My main gripe is the Spanish inquisition I get in restaurants from my friends on why I'm not ordering meat. It truly frustrates me when they challenge me on my choices. Does anyone else here have to put up with this kind of harassment?

Hya, reading your post I thought over the mates I have, and how they deal with me being vegan (had been veggie already, and had been posh carnivore(free range, organic meat few times a year) attempting ethical meat before that. I had to narrow down my reply to people who query my diet, to make it a short defence I tell people to read and eat. I am vegan, but my mates are meat eaters - who are leaving meat, via my gentle illustration if you could call it that, lol ;) they know I tend to look into my life, what choices I make, so they tend to think before they challenge me. Plus some of my mates have had health issues. And are reaching out to find ways to be healthier. ....

• I just keep it dead simple. "I don't like eating animals" and leave it at that.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I usually say "I'm not forcing you to eat veggie so don't try and get me to eat meat." However if they come round my house and I'm cooking they do eat veggie :-)

• I prefer to not eat dead flesh was my response........ Soon shuts them up as they then view their slab of meat differently. Can't really say that now I eat fish occasionally.