vegetarian baby

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• baby is starting to be interested in food now (she licked the top off my pizza yesterday)

has anyone here brought their children up veggie from birth? any advice or recommended reading? i want to be sure she's getting everything she needs!

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Not personally but my brother did, he done a lot of research into what foods were best as he got a lot of oposition/interference from my parents who said it wasn't right for a baby, anyway he went ahead with it, I don't know how strictly he kept to this information he pulled off of the internet but whenever he came back up north to visit, his kids were ailing with something or other and always with a snotty nose as opposed to my sister's kids who are omnivores never fell ill as often, it might not be anything to do with this but comparrisons were always made.

• Izzy's been vegetarian from birth. I can't say I even gave it very detailed thought because it's really no different from having to make sure an omni baby gets everything they need from their diet (and a lot of people don't).

• I suppose so. My health visitor told me I had to do lots of research to make sure she gets iron/b12/protein in the right quantities. made me a little paranoid. esp as i know i'm gonna get opposition too! i might contact veggie society and ask for their advice

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Yeah, if I remember rightly it was the Veggie society stuff he had printed off to show my folks, and guess what my dad said, they're bound to say that, they have to to back-up there own bull shit. :D

• My eldest was a veggy baby, he was a strong healthy child, and chose to eat meat when he was about 7.

I fed him what I ate, puréed down, and still breastfed him up to him being 15 months old, (only the occasional feed if he was wanting it) Lots of veg, and lentils if I remember, chick peas and soy based soups with mashed spuds as a filler. Granary bread rusks with marmite, etc. Think he had peanut butter when he was around 3, and rejected marmite from that point. I introduced eggs and cheese as he got towards 2. Kids can live quite happily on eggs, chips and beans, as that is a balanced diet with everything they need, so do not worry about it too much.
    My 2 used to run to the veg stall in the market hall, they ignored the toffee stall and cake stall, eldest went straight to the fruit with his basket and the youngest always wanted sprouts and cabbage :)) They eat what their bodies crave, and if you allow them to listen to what they need they tend to live by that.
    Snotty noses tend to be caused by not allowing them to play and get dirty. Allowing them to crawl in the dirt in the garden, and eat the veg straight from the plants, makes them strong and healthy with a good immune system in my honest opinion.

• I brought my kids up veggie and they were healthy and strong, now 32,31 and 19. I fed them lots of veg and beans in the shape of burgers, sos etc. Lots of fresh veg and fruit. Plenty of lentils. Now you've got quorn which is good. Can make 'meaty' recipes into quorn recipe easily. My three have turned out to be 2 meat eaters and one vegan. All got own values and each healthy in mind and body.

• My daughter has been brought up entirely veggie - she's now 5 - and she is as strong as an ox and healthy. Obviously each kid's food preferences are different, but I would just make sure that there is as much variety as possible. There is very much a you-need-meat-to-be-healthy attitude in this country; perhaps it's worth looking at how healthy people who say this are! Some otherwise intelligent people seem to think that the only way to get protein is via meat. Eating brown rice and lentils sometime near each other provides a full protein without even eating dairy products. Don't let yourself be got at by people who don't let ignorance get in the way of a good rant. :waves:

• My daughter has been veggie from birth. I didn't bring her up veggie - she never liked meat - so we encouraged a veggie diet and she's been great with it. She has fortified cereal for breakfast, mixed salad, crisps, yoghurt, juice, for lunch at school, and we all have a vegan dinner/tea every night :) She's 10 now and is fit and healthy :)

• All of ours were raised vege and we started them off on mashed bananas, boiled and pureed apple and mashed avocado, a little plain bio yoghurt is ok mashed in with the fruit but otherwise don't give them dairy at first and until their stomachs have 'hardened' up a bit, milk will loosen their stools and cheeses will bind them so introduce those slowly and a little bit at a time! Once they are used to the solids a bit start giving them what you eat all mashed up.