Homebrew wines

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• phew, reading this thread as made me thirsty. I'm moving out of my house tomorrow, going a living on a mates settee for a bit till I get a van on the road and a caravan to park up on a site. today i thrugh a bottle of mead in the weely bin(recycle one) I made back in 1991 I think. Cork is still intact,I might dig it back out and open it.

• phew, reading this thread as made me thirsty. I'm moving out of my house tomorrow, going a living on a mates settee for a bit till I get a van on the road and a caravan to park up on a site. today i thrugh a bottle of mead in the weely bin(recycle one) I made back in 1991 I think. Cork is still intact,I might dig it back out and open it.

Deffo could be scrummy, you can tell by the smell usually if it is too mature, please post the results :D

• Just got my torch out to find the bottle in the bin. Bit of moss on the cork and the lable as been nibbled by snails but it as been in my shed for the last 30 yrs. Anyway i think I met buy a cork screw tomoz and see how it is. I'll let yers know.

• Elderberry is really high in tannin , a lot of people say its undrinkable for first 2 years untill the tannin has broken down and mellowed. I would not add anymore sugar at this stage. It will really improve with age if you have the self control to let it :angel:

a bit like me then...:reddevil: i cant homebrew i dont have the bottle....

• Hey guys, me and a mate have been brewing for years! found very few other people whom do :). essentially we go picking whatever (damsons, apples, balckberrys etc) then mix with sugar and water, add 'super wine yeast' from tesco's and there it goes. had on and off results, and it gets to about 22%. oh and to filter it, you can use an old tshirt, or coffee filters, you dont need the expensive brewing ones :)

• hey :), just saying this, but you dont really need a demijon, can get gallon water bottles from sainsburys for like a quid, or 2L drinks bottles, ive never brewed in a demijon because i dont have one either :)

• I was wondering does anyone know if you can use fresh sugar cane for the sugar to brew, I'm looking in to as much a possible growing all the ingredients and thought it would be better for you

• Post by daisyrogers ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Easy wine:

KIT:

1 gallon demijohn
    hydrometer
    airlock

(But a clean bucket covered with a cloth may do as well)

6 bottles and corks

INGREDIENTS

4 cartons of Lidl grape concentrate
    750g sugar
    Wine yeast

METHOD

Day 1 - Pour half a carton concentrate into a gallon demijohn. Add yeast and shake. Leave in warm place.
    Day 2 - Should have bubbles or froth at surface. Add the rest of the carton and the whole of another.
    Day 4/5 - Should be fermenting well. Add another carton. Make sugar mix by dissolving sugar into about 1 litre drinking or boiled water. Add to DJ.
    Day 10 ish - When fermentation eases off a bit add the last carton of juice to the bottom of the DJ neck.

Keep an eye on it, and when the airlock bubbles about once every 40 seconds, or hydrometer shows its ready, bottle. Drink as soon as its clear, normally around a week. It ends up cloudy anyway as it's sparkling and the bubbles stir up the sediment when opened.

The result is a light sparkly red wine that can be drunk and another lot made while your proper country wines are still in DJ's. I make some to fill in gaps in production of the proper stuff.

• we have been making our own brews for a few years now but I want to look more in to making it more friendly for both the environment as well as organic and able for vegans to drink so I want to be able to produce as much my self as i can

• Well my homemade Wimberry wine is gorgeous, and is a lovely drink at only 6 months old. I am going to pick a load more this coming week hopefully. I froze them in batches when I picked them, then they were lovely and juicy when defrosted and converted into wine. 2lb of fruit gave me 1 gallon of strong wine. Here is the recipe to go with the 2lb of fruit. 2l of red grape juice (85p each from Aldi or Lidl) 1k sugar 1tsp pectolase All purpose wine yeast (I use Youngs super yeast compound) Method Add 1l of the red grape juice to a saucepan, add the 1k of sugar and gently warm this up, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved (dont boil it). Put your wimberries in a fementing bucket (with lid) and crush them gently with a potato masher, add the warmed grape/sugar syrup and the other litre of grape juice, add 1 crushed campden tablet and 1tsp pectolase, fit lid and leave for 24hrs. Add 1 tsp yeast and stir, ferment in the bucket for 6 days, stirring gently every day. After 6 days sieve the must into a demijohn through a fine sieve or better still a fine filter bag sqeezing gently top up the demijohn to the shoulder with water.fit airlock and after a few days top up to the bottom of the neck, leave to ferment for about 4 weeks then rack. Leave for a few months then rack again.

• I have been reading this thread with interest and its got me thinking as there are about six damson trees in the park opposite where I live so I thought I will have a go at making some wine.
    So I wondered if you guys could recommend a good recipe and a book on the subject etc.
    Also where do I get hold of some demijohns?,Household/hardware store,Boots etc,I cant find anything apart from online and do they have to be glass or can I use plastic?
    Ta!

• my OH has got into homemade wine now - i got him the book 'booze for free' by andy hamilton and that's really good and interesting too.

but i was going to ask the same q. as thingamajig - where is best to buy these things not online? buying pectolase for e.g. adds £4 because of p&p which is the cost of another tub of it, it seems silly. same with any of DJs p&p is a lot :S we got plastic ones that are foodgrade are these ok?

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Honestly people, any drinks bottle will do. the 2L bottles you get water in the shops are great. like 15p for sainsburys basics water, then you have a brewing vessel and water :)

• my OH has got into homemade wine now - i got him the book 'booze for free' by andy hamilton and that's really good and interesting too.

but i was going to ask the same q. as thingamajig - where is best to buy these things not online? buying pectolase for e.g. adds £4 because of p&p which is the cost of another tub of it, it seems silly. same with any of DJs p&p is a lot :S we got plastic ones that
    are foodgrade are these ok?

Will have a look at that book,thanks
    I have just been told on another forum that they sell everything in Wilkinson http://www.wilko.com/kitchen/home-brew/icat/70 :thumbup:

• Honestly people, any drinks bottle will do. the 2L bottles you get water in the shops are great. like 15p for sainsburys basics water, then you have a brewing vessel and water :)

Hi Detonator,just been told that if using a plastic container it has to be certain type as alcohol can dissolve some solvents and can be carconagenic and impart flavour,the same way jams/chutneys etc have to be in glass containers because of the acid/sugars etc,so maybe its best not to use water bottles.
    Saying that I smoke anyway so that wouldn't make a difference to me.:)

• great thingamajig i will find out where my nearest wilkinsons is :D
    i'd rather get him proper containers than risk oxygenation/contamination and waste of a batch! :)

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• They sell kits/equipment in some Tesco stores. The best place is ebay secondhand/freecycle, carboot sales or homebrew shops. I have 2 x demijons of homegrown red grape wine to rack off. Hope its good, but no-longer drinking myself, isn't making it a priority.

Just had a look and they sell the kits but have stopped doing the equipment.
    The Damsons are nearly ready to go so will get some stuff from Wilkinsons and keep an eye out in charity shops etc for future batches to have a continuous supply.
    The abundance of free fruit in the hedgerows at this time of year should keep me busy.:)

• Hi Detonator,just been told that if using a plastic container it has to be certain type as alcohol can dissolve some solvents and can be carconagenic and impart flavour,the same way jams/chutneys etc have to be in glass containers because of the acid/sugars etc,so maybe its best not to use water bottles. Saying that I smoke anyway so that wouldn't make a difference to me.:)

If you use the large fruit juice plastic containers, These are made of the same grade plastic (PET) as the plastic wine demijons, sold in wine makers shops.

• Hi Detonator,just been told that if using a plastic container it has to be certain type as alcohol can dissolve some solvents and can be carconagenic and impart flavour,the same way jams/chutneys etc have to be in glass containers because of the acid/sugars etc,so maybe its best not to use water bottles.
    Saying that I smoke anyway so that wouldn't make a difference to me.:)

Oh right, thanks for the advice :) I've never had a problem with it flavoring the containers before, but ill look into it (I just wrongly assumed that if you couldnt taste it, it was fine... and i havn't died yet haha :))

• Ask around, there is always someone that has done wine / beer making with a cupboard full of stuff they don't want any more. I bought 1 demijohn, the other 6 have been given to me, and had over 50 wine bottles given to me in a week when I asked on facebook for people to save me the screw top ones for my wine. Wilkinsons do all the stuff, but you get better yeast at your local home brew shop. I have the Booze for free book and it is brilliant, but, you can find loads of forums online that offer loads of help and advice. My Wimberry wine recipe is from a man in Wales, from the Uk homebrew forum, and it is the best wine I have ever made.

• I have more brewing kit than I can use. I started buying odd lots on ebay. Then Wilko's for a few items 5 gallon bucket, plastic spoon, chemicals etc - until I realized just how much they charge. Since then its pick up at carboots. For £10 in winter you can get several hundred pounds worth of equipment. I have enough corks/filters/lables etc. I must have x 4 wine hydrometers, enough to last me into my pension days. I pay about 50p each for glass Demijons anytime of year at carboot sales.

• Well my homemade Wimberry wine is gorgeous,

I had to google wimberries - surely you mean blaeberries! :p My brother was out picking some the other day and apparently they're really good just now. I might get some for myself tomorrow :).

I'm not planning any wine this year, though I'm really hoping the sloes are good this year. There were next to none last year, and my super-batch of sloe vodka from 2011 is getting a bit depleted!

• I have heard that you up north call them blaeberries :insane: and some call them bilberries I hear lol. We have an open slope with full sun on them where I went, so had some lovely fat juicy ones this time, hopefully I will get another few hours to go and pick another 1/2lb soon.