Homebrew wines

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Anyone on here make their own wine?

I have 2 gallon of plum wine that is not clearing, just wondered if I could bottle it anyway? Its from Sept 2011 so its had plenty of time to clear, ended up adding more pectolase 4 weeks ago, but that has not worked.

• You should have added the pectolase to fruit must at the start , but who cares if its cloudy as long as its tastes ok . Last year was a great year for plums , I made 16 gallons , but its gone already . I love plum wine. If you are prepared to wait it will probably clear eventually in the bottle. As long as its over 11.5% alchol it will keep for ages (if you are not an alky like moi)

• Yes used to make it also , 5 gallon deme johns at a time , Ellderberry ,, 2 yrs Fementing , then add Polish Spirit 150 proof {buy from chemist} then add Coco Essense .. very nice .

• :D Thank you , I did add pectolase at the start, but these were end of season plums, and I did the bad thing apparently of boiling them prior to steeping, as I was being lazy and it was the easier way of removing the stones.
    I have looked at the filters, and just need to save up for one from the homebrew shop, this wine is vegan, and I have been told I can filter through spagnum moss so that my vegan mates can have a good glass or 3.
    I have an elderberry wine in the dj and a Wimberry wine that is in the fermenter, ready to be strained off. I will try the polish spirit next year when its ready, as it tastes good, just looks crap.

• Hahaha, yeah its not a good look eh. I am going to bottle it then, and drink it all up, I have a gallon of early season plum wine, that was stoned nicely and has cleared well, so I will save that one to mature. My goal is a wine that is like brandy, as my dad made one years ago and gave me a bottle that he found in his cellar 5 years after bottling. Plum nectar lol.

I had 1 plum this year, and that was bloody rotten mid august when I found it. Hopefully next year I will have a tree full again and can go into major wine production.

• i love ederberry wine its so nice to drink! do you have a recepie for it or a link?

I only followed the usual book recipes ,Though always put twice as much Elderberries in than the recipe sujested as i had acess to loads of them .

I do drink Alcohol but not regulary , so i was never in a hurry to finish the Wine Brews off for any particular reason ,i had 25 galls of Elderberry in deme johns for over 2 yrs in the fermentation stage {though the process had stopped long before that {as it does}
    Racked it off then bottled it . Some of the Wine was drunk about 10 yrs later ,, still in good drinking order . :thumbup:

• Loads of recipes out there, I will have a look in one of my books, but this one is off the homebrew forum.
    Elderberry and Blackberry Wine

1kg picked elderberries frozen
    500g asda blackberries frozen
    1kg of sugar
    1 lemon
    200g raisins
    2lt red grape juice
    1tsp pectolase
    Yeast nutrient

Mix sugar with warmed red grape juice, add to fruit that you have mashed with a spud masher. I would add a campden tablet at this point and leave for 24 hrs if fresh fruit to kill off any wild yeast, then add the rest of the ingredients, stir well, then sprinkle the yeast on top and leave to ferment for a few day to a week........... sieve into a demijohn and leave it to do its stuff for a year or 2, rack off every few months or when there is a lot of sediment.

I am a novice, so I am sure that folk will correct any glaring errors in the above.

• Hahaha, yeah its not a good look eh. I am going to bottle it then, and drink it all up, I have a gallon of early season plum wine, that was stoned nicely and has cleared well, so I will save that one to mature. My goal is a wine that is like brandy, as my dad made one years ago and gave me a bottle that he found in his cellar 5 years after bottling. Plum nectar lol. I had 1 plum this year, and that was bloody rotten mid august when I found it. Hopefully next year I will have a tree full again and can go into major wine production.

What's the plum wine taste like? And more importantly, how strong is it? :)

• That sounds good! Not tried winemaking before, and I'm very rusty when it comes to beer making. Might try this if I've got some of last years stock left in the freezer. I'm going to chuck a few elderberries into the blackcurrant wheat beer I'm planning over the holidays :)

• That sounds pretty good. I have seen people put up recipes for elderberry stout. My Wimberry wine is now bubbling away in the demi john, and I am going to do my bottles and bottle the plum wine this weekend. Just lacking in motivation to wash and sterilise the bottles :(

• What's the plum wine taste like? And more importantly, how strong is it? :)

Plum wine tastes lovely, and gets better with age. No idea of the strength, I am pretty crap at taking the spg. Think it will be about 10% minimum.

• Does any of this have any meaning for you? Well over my head.

Well I am doing my annual elderberry stout based on Alemans effin oatmeal as the base bumped up with pale malt and demerara sugar

The recipe

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
    Pale Malt 5 EBC 26 lbs. 7.2 oz 12000 grams 65.4%
    Oat Flakes 2.5 EBC 3 lbs. 15.4 oz 1800 grams 9.8%
    Roasted Barley 1350 EBC 1 lbs. 5.2 oz 600 grams 3.3%
    Flaked Barley 0 EBC 2 lbs. 3.3 oz 1000 grams 5.4%
    Crystal Malt 130 EBC 1 lbs. 10.8 oz 760 grams 4.1%
    Brown Malt 150 EBC 1 lbs. 10.8 oz 760 grams 4.1%
    Chocolate Malt 1050 EBC 0 lbs. 15.1 oz 430 grams 2.3%
    Sugar, Demerara ? EBC 2 lbs. 3.3 oz 1000 grams 5.4%

Elderberries juice extracted from 2500g of berries. I need to check this as I think I need double, which I have but Last time I did it I used the equivalent of this amount.

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
    Bramling Cross Whole 6.3 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 10.6 oz 300 grams 100%

Final Volume: 55 Litres
    Original Gravity: 1.080
    Final Gravity: 1.018
    Alcohol Content: 8.1% ABV
    Total Liquor: 80.9 Litres
    Mash Liquor: 43.4 Litres
    Mash Efficiency: 80 %
    Bitterness: 65 EBU
    Colour: 224 EBC

Doing an overnight mash so expecting 80% + efficiency.

The Oats are toasted and are in a mini mash with 300g of pale malt at 35-40c for 30 minutes. I will be adding them soon as I have to leave for Football shortly.

• Hmm, makes a bit of sense... dunno about stuff like efficiency or what all those letters stand for (except for the gravity values) ... been a while since I dabbled in home brew so I will need to remember what to do with all that stuff!
    And I've only got a 5 gallon (I think) drum so will need to reduce the amounts a bit. Thanks for the recipe though :)

• I forced my kids to drink lots of pop so I could use 2 lt coke / lemonade bottles for some of my beer, and aldi have some lovely dunkle in swing top bottles so I am working my way through them, so I can bottle my cider hehehe, it is a downside eh! lol

• Calling all experienced wine makers. Just racked off my elderberry wine, and it has made my toes curl, much to much tartness. Can I add extra sugar now? its been in the DJ since November.

• Calling all experienced wine makers. Just racked off my elderberry wine, and it has made my toes curl, much to much tartness. Can I add extra sugar now? its been in the DJ since November.

Elderberry is really high in tannin , a lot of people say its undrinkable for first 2 years untill the tannin has broken down and mellowed. I would not add anymore sugar at this stage. It will really improve with age if you have the self control to let it :angel:

• Cheers Mr B. I will leave it for a few years then :D I will send you some when it finally matures.
    I am going to treat myself to a filter next week to see if I can clear this plum wine, I have tried everything, one of the DJ's have been outside for a week while its been freezing, and it did not freeze, so I can assume that there is alcohol in there, sadly the cold did not clear it as someone told me it may :(

• Cheers Mr B. I will leave it for a few years then :D I will send you some when it finally matures.
    I am going to treat myself to a filter next week to see if I can clear this plum wine, I have tried everything, one of the DJ's have been outside for a week while its been freezing, and it did not freeze, so I can assume that there is alcohol in there, sadly the cold did not clear it as someone told me it may :(

Might take a tad longer than a week , just drink it through your teeth as a filter if all else fails :D