Looks like I'm a mum again

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• A little black stray cat seems to have decided that this is where he should live. He turned up on the farm a couple of months ago and was quite shy at first, but has turned out to be the friendliest little thing ever. He's on the doorstep every time I leave the house and when I come home from work. He lives on a disgusting old chair in the big open outbuilding at the back of the house :(.

The girl in the house up from me told me a few weeks ago that she was trying to take him in, but I went and spoke to her today and it turns out that it won't go into her house anymore because she has a dog, and the food she's been putting out for it is being eaten by the (stupid, out of control and frankly dangerous) dog next door. She took him to the vet though and he's flea free, has been wormed, and she was told he's an un-neutered male under a year old. He is covered in mats though and I noticed today he has a massive tick under his chin. He's not at all feral, which led the vet to think he may have been taken to the farm and dumped by someone :( (she put 'found' posters everywhere, went door-to-door round here, and put messages online and on facebook etc, no one came forward).

Cats Protection have offered a £20 voucher to help with neutering, but I'm hopelessly skint this month so god knows where I'm going to find the rest (anyone wanna buy a kidney? :rolleyes:). Needs done though if I'm going to be able to introduce him to my two, though I'm not very sure how it's going to work out having 2 indoor cats and an outdoor one in the same house. I have next week off so will try and arrange it for then hopefully.

Until then though I've set up a box next to his chair out the back and he's got blankets and a hot water bottle. I hope he's more comfortable tonight, it's bloody freezing out there :(.

Oh, and he needs a name!

• If i were you i`d get him FIV/FELV tested too before you mix him with your cats. If he`s been stray for a while and not neutered he might have been in fights so it puts him in the higher risk category. If you send me your paypal details i`ll throw you a tenner towards it when i get paid tomorrow :)

• If i were you i`d get him FIV/FELV tested too before you mix him with your cats. If he`s been stray for a while and not neutered he might have been in fights so it puts him in the higher risk category. If you send me your paypal details i`ll throw you a tenner towards it when i get paid tomorrow :)

That's a good idea, I wouldn't have thought about that! :S. I'll see if they can do it when they neuter him.

You're so lovely to offer to help :hug:. I have a few bits and pieces I can try and sell first though (rugs and straps etc.). xxx

I'll need to post some pics of him soon, he's a lovely wee thing :).

• Beechcomber I feel I may stray, will you look after me too? :Dwhat a lucky little kitty. We have an outdoor cat who moved in due to people being horrid to her and that was about 8 years ago, she likes to keep her-self to her-self as they say in the daily mail but is friendly when she feels like it. Your little guy sounds more of an active charmer.
    Interested to hear what you call him, love that he has a hot water bottle, do you have the PDSA up your way they may help towards bills. Can we have a picture please :)

• We're off to the vet in a little while :). He's booked in for his snip tomorrow but they're taking him in tonight, which I think will be easier than me trying to keep him locked in the back room with no food all night! Just have to hope I can find him...

• That's him booked in. He was good as gold in the car, not a cheep from him the whole time. He even purred for the vet (I think he was just glad of the attention!). I popped him in the back room for an hour before we left so he could dry off and get warm first. Here he is, enjoying the luxury...

'wee black cat' by inklehippy, on Flickr

• That's him booked in. He was good as gold in the car, not a cheep from him the whole time. He even purred for the vet (I think he was just glad of the attention!). I popped him in the back room for an hour before we left so he could dry off and get warm first. Here he is, enjoying the luxury...

'wee black cat' by inklehippy, on Flickr

What a sweetie and he has pushy paw Hi there Mr Micawber:waves:

• He`s handsome! Hope the de-bollocking goes well today :D

Nicely de-bollocked, and I'm sure he'll be happier for it! He got his first course of injections too, and his FIV/FELV test came back clear. He also got a good brush and looks a lot better for it!

He's slept in the back room the last 2 nights but is still going out during the day. Dad made him a fully-insulated cat mansion to sleep in when he's not in the house too, and he seems to appreciate it :). I still haven't introduced him to Willow and Pixie though. Well, they've seen him and know he's there, but he hasn't seen them yet. I'm sure he must be able to smell them though. The boys are being very tolerant, but we're going to take it slow I think. :)

• That's one very lucky beautiful little cat :)

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• The introductions aren't going so well anymore - he's taken to chasing Willow :(. Pixie's ok because he stands his ground and hisses if he comes too close, but Willow runs. He's such a soft little lump, I don't think he'll ever stand up for himself!

Wee Black Cat's spending a lot of time in his box outside during the day (so it must be warm in there!), and he's still coming in on the cold nights (or if he's not around he gets his hot water bottle outside). I just don't know how I'm going to get him to settle in with my two.

He has a lot of confidence, I'll give him that!