Who is actually following their dreams?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• . Why isn't everyone just going out and living the life that they want?

Conditioning,not wanting to upset people, religion,lack of self belief ,thinking they need money ,,,,loads of reasons. Sheep mentality , probably best not everyone is though or I would not be able to buy oven chips.

I was once told I would be lucky if I could get a job stapling elastic on to party hats, and I agreed I would indeed be lucky, but I had the last laugh, because I got that job , and I deliberatly stapled the elastic on the wrong way round. That taught em!

• This is kind of the point I was getting at. So many people want so much more in life than what they actually have, but don't go out and get it and I'm trying to understand why. Whether you call it dreams, aspirations, plans, whatever.... Why isn't everyone just going out and living the life that they want?

Some of us have responsibilities and need to earn money to survive. It's not as easy as following our dreams, it doesn't mean we don't have dreams or aspirations, it just means that sometimes they have to take a back seat for a while

• Conditioning,not wanting to upset people, religion,lack of self belief ,thinking they need money ,,,,loads of reasons. Sheep mentality , probably best not everyone is though or I would not be able to buy oven chips.

I was once told I would be lucky if I could get a job stapling elastic on to party hats, and I agreed I would indeed be lucky, but I had the last laugh, because I got that job , and I deliberatly stapled the elastic on the wrong way round. That taught em!

damn -you total rebel:D

• Blooming heck mate - why you make me think this much???

Well yes and no really.

But dreams evolve, sometimes before you realise it, sometimes whilst you are chasing them.

Yes I have achieved some dreams (Bella!), I'm working on others (having a custom bike built for me), and I'm deciding what the next step will be.

My dreams are sometimes just so stupid I'm not even going to put them on here, whilst others I have ruined by my own actions, but that wont stop me from trying for new ones.

I'm nearer to being at a stage when I can do what I like than I have ever been before. I'm paying off debts from what I thought were dreams in the past, but turned out to be mistakes, and I'm preparing for the next stage of my life.

I have no idea if I will get to live my dreams, but I am really at a stage where I think that aiming for them has been good for me, even the totally unobtainable ones, as the journey has taught me so much.

I guess I didn't really start looking at my dreams until the last ten years or so, and only then because I realised that the life I was living wasn't really what I wanted.

And I've not as yet been able to follow all my dreams because I had things from my past to deal with. Debts being a big part. Funnily enough it was UKH that finally made me realise that if I pay my debts off I can dream again (thanks Coyote). In fact, paying off my debts and being free from the fear of answering the phone or opening a letter was a bit dream!

So in answer to Stardusts question.

Well Yes, whilst No.............

:-)

• Some of us have responsibilities and need to earn money to survive. It's not as easy as following our dreams, it doesn't mean we don't have dreams or aspirations, it just means that sometimes they have to take a back seat for a while

Are there not dreams that can fit in around the responsibilities and the need to earn money though?

I don't mean massive great big mountain climbing dreams or anything. Maybe just the little goals.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• This is something i don't like to think about too much if i'm honest, but i feel here is the sorta place i can muse about it :)

Am i following my dreams.. Well that depends on which dreams? I want to have a family that i can support comfortably and be able to give my children a good start in life :)

So, atm, i'm training as an iOS programmer to move into project management (which is what my dad does). This will secure me a nice wage that will be more than comfortable to live on (If i push it, in the sector i am in, could end up on 70k+ as a contracting project manager). Programming is something i've always enjoyed and found interesting.

In that respect, i'm following my dream..
    BUT...

What i really want is to live in a lovely big field, away from the city, away from the fast life and be self sufficient. Problem is, it costs money to get to that point. Maybe i can retire this way in the future?

I've also always wanted to be in PR/Promotions or Counselling. Those are the jobs where my heart would be most in it. Counselling doesn't pay very well and PR/Promotions are difficult to get into unless you know someone or go to Uni... I've done voluntary street/web promotions for record labels, bands, groups, companies etc.etc. and without blowing my own trumpet, i'm bloody good at networking and getting things out there.

Don't really know what i want i suppose.. Am i chasing my Family dream or my Personal dream?.... sigh...

• well i'm not following any of the dreams i had when i was younger... i have a list i wrote several years ago of all the things i wanted to do in my life.. including things like be President of France, have a Chinese baby, climb the M3 (the white 'cliff' bits at the side of the road), own a pirate ship, to less inane things like foster, plant lots of trees, become a Divemaster.

it's funny, when i found out i was pregnant, i worried at first that i might end up resenting baby as i wouldn't as easily be able to do all i wanted - travel, write, get my career going.. what i did not realise was that once she was born things that mattered a great deal before would not be half as important anymore.

i had a dream many years ago when i was very unhappy, more a brief glimpse like the opposite of a memory. barefeet on a kitchen floor, backdoor open with sunshine and children's laughter coming in from the garden. it was a little light in a very dark world that i occupied.
    tho i'd still like to travel, climb mountains, write, have a career... i know that happiness for me is simple. and therefore attainable.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Just messing dude!You're right Vik, this is all about following our dreams.That's probably more me imposing my vision of life on others in that, if I settled down properly, I would consider that my dreams had been entirely thrown out the window!

Surely the whole point of dreams is that they are yours to follow and also yours to evolve and adapt! As things change in your life so do the dreams! When I was competing I was living the dream! Some things such as turn pro and ride the tour de france didn't happen but I still say that part is ticked off and put away. Dreams and dream chasing only matter until the next dream is hatched! I've always wanted to trek to Everest base camp, maybe I will maybe I won't but I don't loose sleep over it! The thing about aall our dreams is they are for us! And its up to us to control them and also not impose our dreams onto others.

• Dreams change and evolve as time passes, when i look back ive lived my dreams but there have been a fair few from representing England at cycling, to working on the fastest race cars in the world and a hell of alot inbetween. Im living the next dream that is on the road in a bus ive built with my own hands! who knows what tomorrows dream will be!

I'm with you - to me life is about being flexible, for if you are so hell bent in one direction you probably miss out on all sorts. Apart from that you can never really tell what will be the outcome of sharing your path with someone else for a while. Add kids and their needs into the mix...My experiences and journeys have meant that I have had to take many diversions but generally I am still the same me, same ideals and principles I have had since I was about 14, accumulating experiences on the way but always being who I want to be. When I get fed up of being in a situation or a place then I change it. I have had lots of adventures in my life and lived in interesting places and spent time with interesting people but I am still not where I want to be and no doubt when I get there after a while, I will want to change that too.

• I'd say that my dreams are being followed...
    I always dreamt of a large family, two boys and a girl, a beautiful home with gorgeous views, gardens etc... all come true for which I feel incredibly blessed.
    I always dreamt of a partner who I wanted to spend my life with, who taught me stuff and encouraged me to become a better person and who was open to becoming better themselves... so thats all working out brilliantly too :D
    I always dreamt of working from my heart and totally 100% believing in the work I was doing.... took me a long time but its an excellent feeling to be aged 39 and be absolutely certain that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. Work doesn't feel like work when you love it and are working from your heart :)
    I think key to following your dreams is to follow your heart which can be a monumentally scary thing to start doing if you haven't been doing it ... but thats where to begin :) If in your heart you know that you are doing what you are supposed to be doing then you are indeed following your dreams, wherever they may take you...
    I agree with Jay and Bee... dreams evolve and change as you evolve and change :)
    I'm currently working on manifesting two dreams which are both to do with healing around the area of birth trauma... well one is healing and one is education for professionals ;)

• Chin up Swifty, yous gettin Dreads:insane:

:clap:Wooooo haha

Y'know this thread made me face up to alot of demons in my head last night. Had a very emotional time and i've decided my mission!

Gonna get my dreads, work my way up in programming, slowly build a self sufficient place to live and then retire into it :) Happy days.

• :clap:Wooooo haha

Y'know this thread made me face up to alot of demons in my head last night. Had a very emotional time and i've decided my mission!

Gonna get my dreads, work my way up in programming, slowly build a self sufficient place to live and then retire into it :) Happy days.

Wish you the very best of luck with that, it sounds like a fine goal! :D :hug:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Thanks :) I want to go Nomad but the missus isn't keen haha :P Her dad already lives in this lovely 4 acre field in the house he built, it's amazing haha, so we are aiming for something similar :-)

• Go for it Swifty, you are still young and the world is your oyster. Dont try and rush , enjoy the journey.Listen to the colours , smell the sounds , and when you get there, then you will know.... Grasshopper ,,,,, I think I have gone all Shaolin Monk:rolleyes:

• Go for it Swifty, you are still young and the world is your oyster. Dont try and rush , enjoy the journey.Listen to the colours , smell the sounds , and when you get there, then you will know.... Grasshopper ,,,,, I think I have gone all Shaolin Monk:rolleyes:

Ha ha I was thinking along the same lines, and now I can hear flute playing in my head!

• Your dreams inevitably have to change when you become responsible for the well-being of others. Or at least sometimes need to be put on the back-burner. But, speaking from experience, there comes a time when you can resurect them, albeit in a revised form.

I found myself a single parent with two babies to bring up, many moons ago, and for periods of my life I had to work at fairly soul-destroying occupations. But the dreams were still there, and in later life I can look back on my travels and experiences as having been invaluable in making me the person I now am. I've worked hard, I have chosen to live in another country, and at long last I'm able to fulfil many of the ambitions I had as a young woman. Point is, never, ever think it is too late, or that you will never be able to make those distant dreams come true.

• Well my dream my whole life was just to live in Devon, I loved it there so much and it was always the happiest time - and now I've lived here the past few years and fulfilled that wish and I have to say I'm the happiest here I've ever been..so thats one dream I'm following..plus my partner has inspired me to follow so many others so I guess that's more too...

• i am 52 i have got fybromyalgia so know what you are going through , i have not worked for about 7 years , i live on my own see my daughter at weekends she is 7 , but my life is shit . i want to go travelling i am a hgv driver and miss travelling .i am going to do it this coming year looking for a van now to get ready for spring .there is something missing in my life i need to do it now before i am to old

• i am 52 i have got fybromyalgia so know what you are going through , i have not worked for about 7 years , i live on my own see my daughter at weekends she is 7 , but my life is shit . i want to go travelling i am a hgv driver and miss travelling .i am going to do it this coming year looking for a van now to get ready for spring .there is something missing in my life i need to do it now before i am to old

Sorry to hear you feel your life is shit :hug:

The travelling thing's a hard one. I used to have a stunning 1971 bedford bus that I lived in and travelled everywhere in. I ended up selling her because I couldn't maintain her, (even though I have borrowed her back for the winter because I don't travel so much at this time of year anyway) but for me, the only way to carry on travelling was to find the right van. I can't manage driving 5 and a half tonnes of no power steering. But I can manage a suzuki supercarry on all but my worst days. So I lived in that for about 3 months and it was lush.

I guess it's just finding the right compromise innit? I'd rather have the space and beauty of my big bus, but until I'm back on my feet, I need to travel in the only thing I can drive!

• i've changed my dreams: my new dream is to be nearly 50, depressed, skint in a dead-end job involving wiping other people's bottoms, and living with my elderly mother who keeps telling me what happened on the x-factor and coronation street despite constant death threats. so yay, now i'm finally living my dream! :pmt:

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln