Who is actually following their dreams?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• The bucket list in chatterbox made me ponder for a while, and this is what I have pondered.....

How many of you would say you were actually living the life you want to be living?

By that, I mean properly grabbing your dreams and actively going out there to make them happen. I know so many people who just don't seem very happy with their lives, but don't do anything to try and change it. I know there are some people who life has just shat on unnecessarily and there's nothing that can be done about. But, equally, I know other people who have absolutely nothing holding them back at all, they just don't do anything about it.

If you believe in following your dreams, what are you actively doing to make your life as awesome as possible. If you're not doing anything about making them happen, why not? What stops you?

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I am doing exactly what I want,because my life revolves around making it happen,and everyone and everything else comes second. Some might think that I am egotistical,and I dont care,as its what I think that matters. Dont mis-understand me though,as everyone and everthing else is important to me,but I cant help them,unless I am in control myself,and then I have even more to give.

I would advise anyone wanting to do the same,to experience some spells of solitude in beautiful places,and between nature and yourself,you will find the answers. You just need to ask the questions.

Me and the buddhists argue quite a lot,and I tell them that until they can offer me proof of there being re-incarnation,I will profit to the maximum in this life,as it may be my only shot.

I hope that you can see the worde of wisdom in my short ramble.

Love and light to all

Fly

P.S -Great post to get people thinking stardust,you realy are a catylyst. Good on ya.

• Wise words from the itinerant one!

You see, I think a lot of what the Buddhists believe is spot on. They may believe you live over and over again, but you only live once in this lifetime, which is why I think you should make the most of it no matter how many lifetimes you believe you will have!

And I agree with absolutely everything you said in that first paragraph - you just said it far better than I could!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I have followed my dreams pretty much all my life since I left school , though it has not been an easy life all the time , and sometimes perhaps a bit selfish.Often my dreams panned out in a different way to intended. So many people have a dream , and it keeps them going , but sadly they are only dreams , how many people say 'when I win the lottery, etc'
    Also there are so many outside influences that can put the spanner in the works.Also there are a lot of factors that hold people back,and I think the biggest is money.
    I was bought up very conventionaly, but I was still very young when it occured to me that life is short , and by the time the system has finished with you , you will probably be to fucked to enjoy what is left of it.
    I suppose I took a hedonistic approach, but back in the seventies it was not hard . I left school and was very lucky to get an apprenticeship with the MOD as an engineer, but I also started dropping loads of acid and soon realised it was not for me , and left , then I went to stonehenge free festival in 78, and it opened a new world to me. I met a girl back home and we got a tipi and lived in a hedge in Essex, then we bought a truck , and ditched the tipi, and had a massive bender instead.we travelled on and off with the convoy. then ditched the bender and converted the truck. We lived in it that doing the free festivals, and parking up with Gypsies , or where ever we could in the winter. this led to getting a trailer to live in . every thing was going great till we got trashed at Nostell Priory in 84 .We gotted really fucked up by this . What happen to us and everyone else ripped our hearts outand we were proper broken.A year later we were back on the road , but living on gypsy sites. we kept getting evicted , and my wife got pregnant with our second child, and the insecurity got to much so we got given a council house cos they(authority) got fed up with us.living in a house caused a lot of stress and we split.i went back in to a trailer , but i stayed close to my kids and shared in there upbringing and all was happy again.
    Then in 1999 I met my current wife.and by now living in a trailer was becoming harder and harder , we bought a house and spent 3 months a year travelling the world, the rest of the year chugging along. Life was good , but how could it get better?
    The ultimate dream was achived in 2010 , when we managed to get a smallholding in S.Wales.
    So I think you could say I am defo living the dream. I still sometimes have to pinch myself when I wake up, as it all seems to good to be true.
    i guess I am waffling a bit, but what I am trying to say is you can make your dreams come true , but they wont do it by them selves , and i have truely done what ever i can to get there, at any cost a lot of the time, thats where the selfish bit comes in .
    If i lost everthing tomorrow though , I would be back in a hedge in a bender before you can say 'hotchi mumper';)

Never give up , and dont let the bastards grind you down, if it dont kill you , it' make you stronger.

Bungo(after too much homemade elderberry vin)

• I'm getting there, still a litte way to go to be financially secure, but I now work just a little at work I enjoy, I get to work from home with at least one cat on my lap, and the rest of the time is spent with my family. just need a few more hours work to pay the bills.
    and yes right now I am fairly happy with life.
    Grendel

• when i was a young girl around eight or nine i was already wanting independance,and a wolf-my friends all wanted barbie dolls and weddings-i have a hybrid sarloos wolfdog and i am a free agent,im content ,(and a little more lately)-financially i do not need riches ive been there and was not free to be myself,so i moved on,it does not just happen but if we try,we achieve when the need is strong enugh am i living my dream? in part yes,;hold on to your love.:hippy:and believe in you...

• love it. great question. In reply to 'who is actually following their dreams?'

I am.:)

as long as you keep an eye on what you want, and notice when it changes, you'll all be fine

• I'm really interested in hearing from the people who aren't following their dreams as well.

What stops you?

For me personally, getting M.E. stopped me from following most of my old dreams. Realistically, I'm highly unlikely to ever climb mountains or spend months on end snowboarding or run away with the circus. But rather than give up on dreaming altogether, I've just changed them and am working towards things I can still do.

So if you have life events beyond your control stopping you from achieving what you want, do you chase something else instead?

• Stardust you are spot on with allowing your dreams to change as your life changes.You are not without dreams and hope just following a different path.
    What do a person who has no dreams left do? I don't really have dreams but I have a plan thats a bit flexible and without a deadline.The boat was sort of dream made reality but not where I started from.

• I have looked for a better way most of my life and have had quite a lot and often worked hard to get it. I left school for the money from a job and after seven years gave it up because it didn't satisfy.

So returned to studying and did my degree through one of the last local authority grants and then did a post grad well worth the time spent although I was much older than the rest of the students. I got some work and was made redundant but went freelance and spent the next ten years working my way around the UK.

Initially my wife went with me but later I commuted weekly. I have since returned to employed status and again had a redundancy setback but later getting re-employed!

But then our world crashed again when I was first diagnosed with spondylosis and then multiple myeloma as the cause.

I am now in remission and although I have worn a neck collar for the last four months and have had a broken ulna for eight weeks I am looking forward again with the support of my wife.

Two months ago my wife bought a Merc bus which we are converting and we are planning a lot of travelling in the new year.

Life has its ups and downs but I think I have been lucky and I am sure you guess why

• I'm closer than I've ever been before,

but i wouldnt say I'm there,

.....and the fact is its probably because I'm still not quite sure what my 'dream' is yet - and I think this maybe what is stopping me

I have my health, a roof over my head, my van, a great group of people around me, I re-trained in the same area I already worked in last year but different role, (which I believe helps individuals help themselves and the wider society as a whole so I am happier with my wage slave role compared to doing a job I didnt enjoy or believe in just to put food on the table like some of my friends have to do), I have a happy relationship and like to party, and i am more confident in myself than I have ever been - so many be this was my dream? and i have achieved it..?

• Wise words from the itinerant one!

You see, I think a lot of what the Buddhists believe is spot on. They may believe you live over and over again, but you only live once in this lifetime, which is why I think you should make the most of it no matter how many lifetimes you believe you will have!

And I agree with absolutely everything you said in that first paragraph - you just said it far better than I could!

Thank you for that kind,but not quite true response.

I did not say that far better than you could,I said it far better than you think you could :angel:

• Dreams change and evolve as time passes, when i look back ive lived my dreams but there have been a fair few from representing England at cycling, to working on the fastest race cars in the world and a hell of alot inbetween. Im living the next dream that is on the road in a bus ive built with my own hands! who knows what tomorrows dream will be!

• As long as its not settling down mr hotrod!! :D

• Yes, I am. Living on a narrowboat was my dream and now it is a reality. I feel very lucky to live how and where I do. I also always wanted to get a doctorate, and now I am studying for my PhD.

I would say that the one thing that's got me where I am is visualising my dreams. It may seem like tempting fate but it works for me - I imagine every little detail of my dream, and somehow, it helps me find the will and the strength of mind to make it happen.

Dream big!

• Post by stardust ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Post by stardust ().

• Yes, I am. Living on a narrowboat was my dream and now it is a reality. I feel very lucky to live how and where I do. I also always wanted to get a doctorate, and now I am studying for my PhD.

I would say that the one thing that's got me where I am is visualising my dreams. It may seem like tempting fate but it works for me - I imagine every little detail of my dream, and somehow, it helps me find the will and the strength of mind to make it happen.

Dream big!

totally agree :) great int it :D

• Post by hotrodjay ().

• Define settling down pls

Just messing dude!

You're right Vik, this is all about following our dreams.

That's probably more me imposing my vision of life on others in that, if I settled down properly, I would consider that my dreams had been entirely thrown out the window!

• I'm more kind of shaping my dreams at the moment as following just my dream would be a bit detrimental to the large tribe I seem to have accumulated about me. Which means my dream is some way off for a while yet. Once they all realise that they do want to join me in it then it'll be fine :thumbup:

Through violence you may solve one problem, but you will sow the seeds for another...

• yes and no, the goal posts keep moving, I get to one and then it's onto the next. Biggest things to think about with dreams is finances, because dreaming dreams that are not achievable without ££££££££££ is just depressing because then you never live.

Also my own dreams I have to weave into my family. Even though they are a big part of my dream come true. :wub:

• dont get the concept of dreams, if i want something i get it or do it.

This is kind of the point I was getting at. So many people want so much more in life than what they actually have, but don't go out and get it and I'm trying to understand why. Whether you call it dreams, aspirations, plans, whatever.... Why isn't everyone just going out and living the life that they want?

• To be honest I don't really have many dreams... I've lived life so far no really making choices and letting life make the choices for me. I probably had dreams in the past , but they often turn out disappointing.

The one dream I did achieve was to get myself a van... now I can get about and be myself, find solace, escape. It ain't perfect, and I'm not ready to fulltime due to my health and wealth issues... and whether I do or not, I dunno.

I know I'm coming up to a point in my life where I need to make a choice, a direction. But I honestly don't know what I want from my life. It may sound strange to some of you, but that's how it is. Kinda put up with disappointment for long enough to learned not to dream anymore.