Jesus or Jail?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Can I have a while to think about this, Your Honour?

Jesus Saves You From Doing Time

Did you know that people who go to church are inherently good people? That they never do anything wrong or make bad decisions? Oh, you didn’t? That’s because it’s bunkum.
    Somebody needs to tell that to Muskogee County, Oklahoma District Judge Mike Norman.
    17-year-old Tyler Alred was convicted of manslaughter after colliding with a tree, killing his passenger. He had been drinking and, although under the legal limit, since he was a minor he was considered to be driving under the influence of alcohol. Last week, Alred’s conviction was deferred under the condition that — wait for it — he attend church on Sunday for 10 years.
    Oh separation of church and state. You’re doing it so wrong.
    Let’s think about this for a second. Part of this young man’s punishment is to go to church for 10 years. One could interpret this in one of two ways:
    1. Going to church is horrible and basically like going to jail.
    2. Going to church will help this guy mature into a responsible human being.
    Somehow I doubt it’s number one.
    I have two problems with this. First, there is no possible way this is legal. As the Tulsa World points out, if this sentence were challenged it would be unlikely to be upheld.
    Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/je…g-time.html#ixzz2D9QnqOqt

• having done a couple of years on a drug smuggling rap its clear to me that the whole notion of imprisonment is so ridiculously barbaric pathetic and counter productive system for a civilised society that this judge seems no more insane than the rest.- let them do a taste of the mind and soul numbing stretches they unquestioningly dole out and then see if it still makes any sense to them

• Well said. Some church goers do indeed think that they are indeed, superior to other people. However most are more enlightend. I peronally am made acutley aware of my many short comings, I love the fact that Jesus loves all christians equally. I,m a sinner, like every body else. Thats why I attend church, to give thanks and praise. By the Grace of God my socks have been blessed off, Word.

• Well said. Some church goers do indeed think that they are indeed, superior to other people. However most are more enlightend. I peronally am made acutley aware of my many short comings, I love the fact that Jesus loves all christians equally. I,m a sinner, like every body else. Thats why I attend church, to give thanks and praise. By the Grace of God my socks have been blessed off, Word.

The Christian church is like an open prison in my humble opinion but if it works for you I am pleased for you, but why are you a sinner?
    Also why does Jesus love only Christians?

In reply to Jonny, 10 years is a bit harsh for just manslaughter :whistle:

In reply to Julian, Agreed :D

• Apparentley (man) humans are inherantley evil. Goes back to Adam and Eve. Jesus came to save us all. How can you love some body if there is, or has not been any sort of relationship? I might be wrong, I very often am. I do recognise peoples right to make thier own decisions, as far as I know peace is at the heart of all religeons. Would be wonderfull if mankind could be at peace with each other. Excuse typos please.

• the article states at the end this lad is already a church goer and so "Oh good. I can tell this sentence is really going to change Alred’s life". I would have thought killing somebody would change his life and he will probably punish himself for years over this. a very sad event but with no malice and not even over the limit just a sad accident. going to church for me would be punishment but i would not challenge it if the alternative might be jail time i can put up with story time once a week

• I am from america and i can tell you that this is only the tip of the iceberg. My mother is from the UK and I moved back home. But am i surprised this happened? Not at all. When I arrived here I had the overwhelming pleasure of thus far not being approached by anyone about religion!!!! It has been so nice because while I was living in america I was usually approached at least 2-3 times a week about religion.

The usual approach was.. *Le Sigh* Have you accepted jesus christ as your lord and savior? ...eventually i just started telling them yes and they would normally leave me alone.:cheshire:

I can still remember right after 9/11 another thing i believe the government was responsible for. But I would laugh because everyone suddenly had to have an american flag. Looking at the majority of these flags they said made in china..do i have to explain the irony there?