uk floods taunton

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hope this is the right place

Just watched the news were they talked about the floods in taunton
    Its terrible
    It said the travelling community are really suffering badly
    Was wondering how our taunton hippies are managing

• Just got a text from a friend who will be out kayaking around the levels this weekend. There is always a positive in everything:D

I lived out on west sedgemoor near stoke st gregory in my old br crewcab for about 4years,and was cut off from the outside world on a few occasions.The floods around that area are a yearly thing,so most people are used to them now.If it wasnt for the local farmers,we would have a couple of stunning lakes in somerset.

A lotmore rain coming this weekend,which could cause a lot of problems in taunton.

Fingers crossed,that not too many people are affected.

• Yeah not good this year, seems to have effected such a wide area, they will keep building on flood plains and directing water elsewhere. so many of my friends have been effected and they're house dwellers, just hope others manage to get out the way. Not seen it this high for quite a few years.

• Been a landslide on a 20ft high bank in Exeter by the college blocking the road. Elderly people living nearby had to be evacuated. Here in Dawlish a friend who runs a charity shop has had flooding on Tuesday night and last night..........we've managed to sort most of it out though and should be opening again Wednesday.

• somerset has been hit hard first day today no rain at all since monday,my bosses wall collapsed on monday night through the storm and we were working there yesterday and a tree surgen got knocked over by a tree they were felling through the storm!! my daughters school was flooded last night and her 2 footy games at yeovil and portishead are called off this weekend,the exeter landslide is opersite st davids station

• we went to watch exeter today the roads between tiverton and exeter are bad ,hillcommon is flooded and cross keys is like a river again,the tone has burst its banks again

• Its been raining hard here since Monday , with only a few respites for a few hours.If it wasnt for the fact we live on the side of an extremly steep hill i would be very concerned, as it is we just have amazing water feature running past and around the house.My heart goes out to those less fortunate like my neighbour who has a indoor swimming pool now:S

• mad there tonight aint it....the whole area, I dread to think what it'll be like come morning, just hope peeps stay where they are and dont travel.

• The brook in Dawlish flooded really badly last night. Town centre closed off, basement flats on the other side from me evacuated, shops flooded. The bridge over the brook bringing traffic from Teignmouth into town and onto Exeter was closed because the water was so high it was only just beneath it. There was a rescue operation for the swans, ducks, geese etc. Railway closed because of landslps in both directions, parapet of a bridge washed away,think the main roads out of town were shut as well. Fire brigade, police etc out doing the best they could along with locals,cafe on my side, where it wasn't quite as badly flooded opened and gave out free teas etc

• We're on high flood alert right across the county - am watching environment agency carefully and luckily my two "high roads" between here and bridgwater are clear - i go on call for a birth on tuesday so need to be able to get across the county - diesel van can cope with burst rivers ok but ffs :S was down in Glastonbury earlier this week and it was already starting to look very water worldy - thankfully we have the levels to soak up alot of water here in somerset but my heart goes out to some of the people living down there that have had to be rescued - they saying its the worst flooding ever - the levels never dried out at all over the summer and we had flooded fields right through the year so erm fekk...... so listen up universe we absolutely do not want or need gargantuan high tides otherwise its gonna be Pilton on Sea :eek:

• environment agency have got a good app running accessible via facebook which has a brilliant map that is updated every 15minutes.. you can take out the gurt warning map-pins and just see the roads and rivers and where the flooding is!
    People would do well to start reading their maps and working out where the ancient "high ways" are!!!!! Have already had to help out a friend who needed to get across this side from the coast end of the county... the road she knew was "high" and that I told her to come on, the bloody satnav wouldn't let her navigate using that route!!! MAPS!!!!!!!

• Know what you mean.....friends of mine got stuck last Thursday. It took them 6 hrs to get from Bangor to Colwyn Bay! :eek:

Yeah I was the same longest division ever,although at least I did not have to sit on a train forever. Not sure whats gonna happen tomorrow :panic:

• was down in Glastonbury earlier this week and it was already starting to look very water worldy - thankfully we have the levels to soak up alot of water here in somerset but my heart goes out to some of the people living down there that have had to be rescued - they saying its the worst flooding ever - the levels never dried out at all over the summer and we had flooded fields right through the year so erm fekk...... so listen up universe we absolutely do not want or need gargantuan high tides otherwise its gonna be Pilton on Sea :eek:

I've never seen water like that around here - it's seriously nuts. Glastonbury itself is mostly high up (as you know!), and therefore doesn't suffer much from flooding but so many people so close are suffering - not to mention animals left outside.

Apparently the rain's supposed to clear on Tuesday and we'll be left with dry, cold weather instead. Allegedly.

• This whole year has been one long down pour...In the part of Devon I am you could practically count the amount of sunny days during the summer on one hand! It was shockingly bad, I'd never seen it like that before..

• I had to go miles out of my way yesterday due to a flood, if it was today it would have been mayhem as its a main road, and Vikki's riding lesson is cancelled today because it would have been water polo...just pissing down all year here too.

• My thoughts are with the travellers, esp the horse drawn ones and have been since those mad high winds on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Stay safe lovelies. xxx