Free Flower buckets ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This evening i had to nip to the local Co-op when i was walking back to my van ,the manager of the Co-op was putting out some empty flower buckets , So i asked him what happened with them he said they go for recycling they don't reuse then ? So i asked if i could have some ? He asked what for , so i told him they would make good plant pots for my veg in my Green house and he said yes if there left out here you can have them :D:D:D I now have 5 big plant pots , and I'll bee keeping my eyes open next time i'm there for more

• Good find I loves these buckets they are well handy as big pots in general, but I have found them excellent as decorative pots. What I do is create a decorative sleeve or use an exsisting clay planter and insert the plastic buckets as the plants mature in the buckets, for instance I have a trio of bulbs, ivy and heather buckets coming on whilst my dahlias are just finishing off. Soon I will swap them and let my dahlias rest frost free for the winter, whist poping in my winter display buckets. Big plus do not have to move weigh a ton pots :-) Also they are good for carrots and if the bottoms get damaged they can be used as collars for thirsty/greedy plants. Quality find get planting :D indoors or outdoors :cool:

• Don't forget to pout in some drainage holes.

Well done for asking about them. Good find!

Regards
    Box

Eeh if were talkin drainage do not forget to stick some crocks or waste polystyrene into aid drainage and also means less soil required

• I'm thinking of setting carrots in 2 and onions in 2 at the moment and i might see if my friends mum has any rhubarb she'll let me have and set some of that in one . I have plenty of crocks and some well rotted Horse muck so this weekend planting will begin . Just need to sort some better heating for my green house , Might make my self a wood burner ?

• I'm thinking of setting carrots in 2 and onions in 2 at the moment and i might see if my friends mum has any rhubarb she'll let me have and set some of that in one . I have plenty of crocks and some well rotted Horse muck so this weekend planting will begin . Just need to sort some better heating for my green house , Might make my self a wood burner ?

Now is a good time to split and plant rhubarb, use and extra bucket to force the rhubarb, one of the reasons that buckets are good for carrots is that the naughty carrot fly is very low flying, watch the heat with the low winter light levels, do not get me started sez bossy baggage :panic:If you have a cold green house an excellent winter salard crop is watercress, but grown in compost it is brilliant I pick a bunch a day off a block 18''x18'' outside at the moment) just buy a bag of watercress pop some in a jam jar for a few days like a small bunch of flowers and it will root then plant it and away you go. Spring onions also are good for the winter greenhouse and beetroot the young leaves make a tasty salard and of course the root is yum when young. Also it is not too late to plant broadbeans eat their tops and peel the beans. happy gardening from BB:D