Stuck in a house and really really hating it now

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey guys,
    As most of you know, earlier this summer I was given Janey to restore and live in. I was hoping to be off travelling by now, but things are not moving forward fast at all, I'm even going to college to learn more about how to get her fixed and restored, but even that is eating up all of my time, so I'm trying to squeeze in working on the van in between learning about working on the van. And now I'm starting work as well, to try and get more money to pay for all this, so that's more time taken up. And I can't do this all on my own, which is what's happening. It's getting frustrating!
    So while all this is going on, I'm still stuck in a house and getting more and more stressed, and hating it more each day. I'm on the verge of sleeping in Janey in the drive, but there's so many rust holes and its so damp it doesn't look possible, but if I keep staying in this house I'm just causing arguments because of the tension. I just want out now!
    Did anyone ever feel like this before they got on the road???

• I don't think theres much you can do except try to develop some strategies to improve your patience. I'm in a 9' x 9' room while i try to fix up my van ready to move into it and am having the same problems.

I have been advised (on here) to spend the winter getting the van ready to move into in the spring, thus missing out the worst part of the year and hopefully having better weather to remember when it gets round to winter next time! :)

I'm currently held up by having my van in storage and I have no access to it while the guy is in hospital after back surgery, that's frustrating as a the moment i have time but can;t get at the van. :S

I'm trying to take it easy, building up knowledge from the web, researching ideas and making plans, but it does my head in as well.

• I here your frustration, and you will get there in the end. Your determination to live the life you want will make it happen.
    I'm in a similar situation whereby I need to shift clutter from my past before I can move forward and get on with building my van, but no matter how much effort I put in the mountain just doesn't seem to shrink. It's been that way since January and sometimes it really gets to me and I just wanna let it all out.
    But you know what keeps me going? The fact that I know I WILL Make it happen because I NEED it to happen, and until I break free from the ties that are holding me in the past I keep living the life in my mind and do everything I can in the meantime to keep the fire burning within me.
    I want to explore the highlands next year, and I'm gonna do everything I can lo make that dream happen.
    You have the desire to live your dreams, patience and hard graft will make it happen, just believe in yourself and remember what your doing now is only temporary because it's necessary to achieve your dreams.
    There is light at the end of the tunnel, trust me.

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• Hey guys,
    As most of you know, earlier this summer I was given Janey to restore and live in. I was hoping to be off travelling by now, but things are not moving forward fast at all, I'm even going to college to learn more about how to get her fixed and restored, but even that is eating up all of my time, so I'm trying to squeeze in working on the van in between learning about working on the van. And now I'm starting work as well, to try and get more money to pay for all this, so that's more time taken up. And I can't do this all on my own, which is what's happening. It's getting frustrating!
    So while all this is going on, I'm still stuck in a house and getting more and more stressed, and hating it more each day. I'm on the verge of sleeping in Janey in the drive, but there's so many rust holes and its so damp it doesn't look possible, but if I keep staying in this house I'm just causing arguments because of the tension. I just want out now!
    Did anyone ever feel like this before they got on the road???

dude, relax, you're 22, you've got plenty of time! accept that to get to where you want to be is going to take some time and patience and sweat and tears. it'll be all the more worth it in the end! don't lose sight of your dream, just accept it's a bit farther away than you'd like, but slowly getting closer. don't make life more difficult than it has to be. :)

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• Why not take a 'holiday' from van work and do something else just for a day or a week, this will help you relax, allow you to return to the project with fresh enthusiasm and also give you a chance to check your goals. Do you real want to dedicate your life to this particular vechicle, does it have to be road worthy to live in, is there anything else you want to do, I note these items are becoming collectors items; could you sell and buy a simpler project.
    I think you must bear in mind that while you pursue this project you are gaining valiable experince in many areas, but maybe mix it with some other stuff, as the wide variety experinces tend to cross pollinate different projects.
    Sounds like you have done the hard bit, and now you have the joy of building your van how you want it, so just enjoy the project not forgeting to look over the van roof some times.
    Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on :) Take a breath MF x

• I keep trying to reply to this thread but stuff keeps coming up
    Lonesomestranger, I know its weird but its kinda comforting that I'm not the only one! And yes definitely try to explore the highlands, they're gorgeous! (And I'm not just saying that cause I'm Scottish!)
    Zee, I know 22 seems young, but I've been intent on living in a van for five years now, I've had to put it on hold due to ill health, and I've always been very aware that life just isn't long enough and if you want to do something do it now!
    Mayfly, I'm not always working on the van, but I feel like I should be. But yesterday I got a good bit of work done and I feel like I've really got somewhere, which makes me feel better :D

• Popuptoaster, I'm also comforted to hear about your story, but I'm sad that you are stuck too. Like you have said, its best to do research before you start, and I'm also planning on getting on the road in the spring, so there's a nice long summer ahead!

• I got myself a Ford Transit that had already been converted. It did require some mechanical work but I was able to use it from the day of purchase. Do you really need to completely restore your own camper? Why not trade your existing camper in for something you can use now - but also develop to your own needs? Solutions and obstacles - chose the former and overcome the latter.

• 100Waves, its a bit of a labour of love, I was given Janey by a friend who has had her for many many years and adored the wee van. Unfortunately due to her life circumstances Janey has been sitting since around 2009. So, because I'm in love with old campers, I was given her to restore and live in. If I didn't take her she'd have been scrapped. And her old owner really didn't want that to happen. So here we are!

• Getting frustrated and angry helps no one, least of all yourself, and if you expect moving in to the van to solve all your problems I fear you're in a for a nasty suprise.

I have no experience of living in a van so far, but I'm old enough to have had plenty of set backs in my life and there is no magical cure for anything, I think you need to try and find a way to mellow a little while you prepare the van.

If these kinds of set backs are driving you mad now and you don't find a way to deal with them then living in a tiny metal box is not going to make things easier, The day the van won't start, or the batteries go flat, or you run out of water, or you get a parking ticket will still drive you bonkers unless you learn to cope with lifes problems.

One of the few things I'd change if I could go back in time would be to not let things get to me so much when i was younger, you have to roll with the punches and just cope with life because life really isn't fair, its cliched, but its true.

• I'm not expecting life to be perfect once I move into the van, I've been on enough road trips in my life to know things never go smoothly (this year, the car hasn't started several times, the back window fell in, and many many other things have gone wrong). It's simply the act of living in a house that's getting me down and stressing me out!

• I'm the same age as you so I don't have to use our 'lack of experience' in my response! But in all seriousness, I've both lived in a van and in a house (year in van, then 10months in a flat). We've since brought another van - slightly larger to accomodate the growing family (in the form of four legs and a wet nose..) and i'm in the process of getting it ready for us to live in next January / February. When we first moved into our flat after the van we really struggled for a short while, before having a major look at ourselves and recognising we were just moaning and said..we're giving where we live WAY too much importance - its how you live and why you live that's important - not where.

We both adore living in a van, hence our second van, but we told ourselves to be thankful for the small things we have in a flat we didn't have in a van - endless water supply, washing machine & tumble drier, an actual wardrobe, an oven (hot just hob & grill) etc, the list is endless. Yes we miss(ed) the van lifestyle, but that in itself doesnt mean you have to hate your current lifestyle.

Very few people on here who live on the road will say its not without its clear drawbacks! Although the lifestyle is obviously more attractive for some of us than city / town dwelling, its never healthy to idolise something and become blinded to the negatives.

I'm sure its hard, but try very hard to embrace the chapter of life your in and actually recognise the joy(S) you have now (warm bath, endless storage space, no judgements from passer bys, etc) BUT also to relish the vast pleasures you have waiting. Your life is incredibly exciting right now, as John Lennon once said; 'life is what happens whilst your busy making plans'. If you keep longing for your tomorrows in life, you will never find pleasure in your todays :). There will always be something else you want to do..patience and peace.

Matt

• CelticShaylee I reckon you're just fed-up and dying to get on the road? And I dont blame you.

Get the work done to your van that you need to get done.
    Spring will be here soon enough.
    You'll be on the road then.

Hang on in there girl!

• I think I understand quite a bit of your feelings, I seem to go through them on a daily basis too. After an altercation with a petty authority this morning it makes me desparate to be mobile as a way of cutting off the things that may seem trivial or minor to the majority but effect me, my moods, my quality of being in a very major way. Try to keep the glass half full, you have a van and a plan, time may seem like an issue but you are young and time is one thing you do have, you're MORE than half way there. I have a plan, no van, my glass looks half empty but on closer inspection it seems someone may have had a wee in it.

• Hang in there! Plans work, next summer will be awesome :D you won't be stuck in a house ever again! Planning a few small adventures in the meantime may help and give you goals that are nearer to look forward too. You will open your curtains one morning soon and be parked up and the chances are trundle will be parked up too!

• I think I understand quite a bit of your feelings, I seem to go through them on a daily basis too. After an altercation with a petty authority this morning it makes me desparate to be mobile as a way of cutting off the things that may seem trivial or minor to the majority but effect me, my moods, my quality of being in a very major way. Try to keep the glass half full, you have a van and a plan, time may seem like an issue but you are young and time is one thing you do have, you're MORE than half way there. I have a plan, no van, my glass looks half empty but on closer inspection it seems someone may have had a wee in it.

What you have a glass :) thats sumat

• Very nicely put dude. :thumbup:

• I fully understand your feeling about living in a house. I am working alot lately saving up for a cheap van (hopefully by spring!!) and its driving me a little mad. I belong outdoors.. :hippy: