Ecotricity

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• its run & 100% owned by a guy called dale vince
    hes an ex-traveller who started with 1 wind genny on his truck
    & nows one of the biggest if not the biggest green energy generator
    pretty sure he was on green lane salisbury & involved in the stones, glastonbury in the mid 80s
    (but i could be wrong,... just to cover my legal arse)

doesnt mean his company is any good but its got to be a better start than
    the faceless fat cat barstewards who run the rest
    (alledgedly........)

hohum.... i seem to be a bit paranoid tonight

revel

• Did you change to them? I was considering doing it too. I see they are based in Stroud :)

Yup am in the process of changing my gas and electric over to them now. I haven`t really had to do anything apart from the initial application it`s been really straightforward. They do all the paperwork and have given me a changeover date and all i have to do is send in meter readings a few days before. Feels good to be giving them my cash instead of British gas :)

• We've got gas and electric from them. Seem good so far (6 months or so) bill according to meter readings rather than estimated ones and appears to be as green as can be. Which is good :hippy:

Through violence you may solve one problem, but you will sow the seeds for another...

• Just read an article about Dale Vince saying that last year he bought 3/4`s of all the shares for Forest Green Rovers FC. Since then he has made it the only organic football pitch in the world and has banned all red meat from being sold there hehe :D

• Our switch over was painless apart from the pain felt by British Gas at losing another customer to a greener cheaper or equally priced company... snigger :D

Through violence you may solve one problem, but you will sow the seeds for another...

• I have used them for years, they're not the cheapest but that wasn't what I was looking for. Dale is a bit of an eccentric, the perfect person to get the message out to the masses. They also have a helpful call centre you can actually understand and the ability to take your own meter readings to submit online.

• Post by rainbowliving ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I have used them for years, they're not the cheapest but that wasn't what I was looking for. Dale is a bit of an eccentric, the perfect person to get the message out to the masses. They also have a helpful call centre you can actually understand and the ability to take your own meter readings to submit online.

THIS!

• I've been with them for some time, and they are fine. They match the price of the local electricity supplier, or you can pay a bit more to give more support to renewables.

I've got two electricity supplies, and the other one is with Co-op Energy, who are cheaper and quite ethical, and use as much renewable energy as possible, but don't build their own wind farms etc like Ecotricity do.

• Just started to say f off / good bye British gas and Hello ecotricity

Hint
    When you sign up there ask you how you heard of them if you give a friend's name and address that is already with them you get £50 of ecotopia vouchers each

• I did a price checker thingy for these and sadly their electricity rate is about 2p/kw higher than I pay using my currently capped EDF tariff. I do intend to switch to someone different though as EDF are gonna be investing heavily in nuclear.

On gas they come nowhere close because I'm a very low user on a tariff with zero standing charge (Ebico).