Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I haven't made my mind up yet, and I'm definitely the type of person that likes to have something a little 'concrete' to work with in order to 'believe'. So over the years I've been searching, more scientifically than anything, and I think there is overwhelming evidence to suggest there IS something after; modern research from high ranking
    physicists and psychiatrists is starting to collect substantial results. There doesn't seem to be any research that proves there's nothing, while there's quite a lot that proves there's something - so I definitely lean more on this side. Plus my own experiences of 'ghostly happenings' also convinces me that there's got to be something more...And why do ALL religion's touch upon it at some point? I think more of our ancient philosophers and spiritual beings than to just pass this off as mere 'story telling and trying to make sense' - I mean how about the Dali Llama? How does he always seem to pick the right objects?? So yes I'd definitely say I'm a sceptical believer, if that makes any sense!

Ok so kinda a morbid subject...but kinda inevitable. It's pretty dark but it's something that fascinates me, I think probably far too much if I'm totally honest. But what do you think happens after?? Is it just a big black nothing??? Or do our souls go beyond the physical and transcend to higher planes? Are you scared?? Accepting?? I wonder if a near death experience can make someone less afraid, as though they have almost concurred this inevitability head on... :panic:

• There doesn't seem to be any research that proves there's nothing, while there's quite a lot that proves there's something

Proving "nothing" is an impossibility, which is why there's a lack of proof on that side of the fence ;)

I lean towards "meh" these days. I figure of thousands of years of religious and spiritual pondering can't produce any kind of conclusion, then our chances of figuring it out as individuals are slim to none. Life's for living. May as well worry about the next bit when we get there.

• haha...and since when was meh an opinion? :p But yeh, your right...I guess you can't prove 'nothing' haha..sounds kinda silly now you mention it..I guess I mean we don't just hit dead ends in these studies...excuse the pun!

• To be honest the thought that there may be some sort of eternal afterlife freaks me out way more than the thought of nothing. My plan is to have as full a life as i can manage then take a big long break at the end, so i kinda hope i don`t have to float about the sky :)

• I hope there's something, as with my present workload "I'll sleep when I'm dead", and I do so like to sleep.

But until then, I'll sqeeze all I can out of life on the assumption that it's the only one I'm getting.

:-)

• haha...and since when was meh an opinion? :p

Meh. :shrug: :pp

But yeh, your right...I guess you can't prove 'nothing' haha..sounds kinda silly now you mention it..I guess I mean we don't just hit dead ends in these studies...excuse the pun!

I wonder how much we can actually learn without understanding some more basic stuff - like where the personality comes from, what consciousness actually is, how the brain stores memory. We can't really look at whether we survive death until we know what it is that might survive death.

• can you please explain what you mean?

The Dalai Llama is the 14th reincarnation of the previous 13 Dalai Llamas. The Monastery's search party will present a collection of objects to the child - some are the previous Dalai Lamas, others are not but look very similar to those that are. The child then has to chose which objects were the previous Dalai Llamas to determine whether or not the child is infact the reincarnation of the previous. Every time the child guessed exactly right.

• I used to believe that there was something going on when we die. But the older I've got, the less I'm sure! Before my step-dad died, he was in a coma. When I saw him I knew he was gone, his body was alive but to me, he appeared a shell. When the life support was switched off I just didn't get it. Where had he gone? How could there have been life where now there was none? It span me out and left me hanging and I never really came back from that.

• How'd you mean?

Well if you get a family together you can see a little bit of older relatives in the young un's. For instance peeps swear I am the spit of a great granny in looks and personality so much so it freeks and confuses some olds and my son has a similar effect. So it is our genes that allow reincarnation through the generations.

• Yeah I believe in that too, It's so weird how that happens! Like my Brother will rub his hands together when he's excited about something just like my Dad, but he didn't even grow up in the same house as him, so it has to be genetic. But I also have faith in the theory that since energy doesn't die and we are conscious energy, then it seems feasible our conscious energy could live within various lives...I mean how do you explain that phenomena when people suddenly start speaking another language they never could before? And it lab trials for reincarnation they found people to give explicit detail on a wide variety of cultures and lives that they knew very little about before..

I wonder...does anyone ACTUALLY find comfort in 'if I'm dead I'm dead and I'm not gonna know about it anyway' - my Dad's always saying this and I hear various other people say the same and I'm never quite sure if they truely mean it since we cannot comprehend the idea of not existing..

• Meh. :shrug: :pp

I wonder how much we can actually learn without understanding some more basic stuff - like where the personality comes from, what consciousness actually is, how the brain stores memory. We can't really look at whether we survive death until we know what it is that might survive death.

is 'feeling' a legitimate, perhaps superior form of knowing? I hope so because in that case i feel strongly the spirit survives, Perhaps one day scientists may achieve better understanding of conscciousnes, all the myriad factors relating to personality and memory, perhaps reducing it all down to its biochemical components/ interactions. But what if the spirit is just pure energy, it cant be reduced to anything, it cant die, its beyond space (and maybe time) Its what unites us all together and makes us all one with the universe. I dont know it, but i feel it. Its love too.
    Love to you, Atomik and Midnight star

• probably is life after death i reckon, though there's only one way to know for sure, and that's when it happens. i have experienced consciousness separate to my body, or at least i thought i did. i've always felt that life is a fusion of a physical body (which has its own innate intelligence) and a spirit. i think the question of what is it that survives death, if anything, is what is more up for questiuon. i've heard that posychological death is harder than physical death. i.e. dying to the actions of breathing, eating and talking, which you probably couldn't/wouldn't do in spirit, is easier than dying to your attachments to money, people etc. i think everything we see ourselves as is so much impregnated with the physical world reality (which will be gone) that one wonders what, if anything, can continue in that theme and so what we see as ourselves could for the most, if not all, be extinguished.

• i've heard that posychological death is harder than physical death. i.e. dying to the actions of breathing, eating and talking, which you probably couldn't/wouldn't do in spirit, is easier than dying to your attachments to money, people etc

no way...look how much people fight to be alive in the most horrific conditions, how much stress people put their bodies through and still survive..the need to LIVE out weighs any other spiritual path...what point is there to any of the non attachment etc else if we'e dead...

• I love the way of describing this chance of self aware existence as a break between two eternity's of nothing, we could easily spend that entire break trying to figure out what exactly do we mean by nothing, its a hard thing to imagine simply because there is nothing to imagine! nothing is nothing. I like the idea of reincarnation but im gonna hold off on investing entirely in anything till i take the journey my self, i am simply to curious a person to fall prey to a certain uncertainty.

Opinions aside, here are some things i found interesting on the subject :D

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/n…?id=17555207#.UKl2VYdWySr

http://youtu.be/6VN8jwM4HbI

• Just had a conversation with someone at work on this subject... I was mentioning that my van has no rear fog lights (it was built just before they were compulsory), and that yes, I've driven it in thick fog on a motorway at night. She said that that sounded scary, and I commented that "it didn't really bother me, if my time is up, then my time is up".

I don't worry about death - it's a natural progression of life, albeit a bit final. It's not the same as not caring - I used to have a very low self-preservation mentality years ago, but now I want to live - but I'm not going to worry about things not in my control.

As for what happens afterwards, I've not made my mind up yet. I like the idea of reincarnation - at least after a little rest. Perhaps that is the time at which your new body is in the womb?