can you live without a bank account

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• At least 99% of employers will want you to have a bank account to pay your monthly wages into. I'm self employed so I still need an account to pay in those things called cheques, some of the people I work for pay by direct debit. It would be wonderful not to have bank accounts, I think a lot of people using this site will have at least one tale to tell of bank skulduggery, and we all know what the banks have been getting up to most recently. I have minimised my use of them the best I can by using a well known 'ethical' high street bank (Allegedly), for roof rent, food etc, and any savings I put in a local credit union. I read a great book last year called The Moneyless Man, by Mark Doyle, he carried out an experiment to live without money for a whole year, just by exchanging work and barter, worth a read.

• At least 99% of employers will want you to have a bank account to pay your monthly wages into. I'm self employed so I still need an account to pay in those things called cheques, some of the people I work for pay by direct debit. It would be wonderful not to have bank accounts, I think a lot of people using this site will have at least one tale to tell of bank skulduggery, and we all know what the banks have been getting up to most recently. I have minimised my use of them the best I can by using a well known 'ethical' high street bank (Allegedly), for roof rent, food etc, and any savings I put in a local credit union. I read a great book last year called The Moneyless Man, by Mark Doyle, he carried out an experiment to live without money for a whole year, just by exchanging work and barter, worth a read.

i keep seeing this book being mentioned will have to get a copy. Thanks

• I suppose it depends what you do/don't need it for. For me, it's convenient and necessary. I live in a house, my bills are paid by direct debit (often with further discounts), I like controlling my money using internet banking and I can move money easily if I owe or am owed any. I don't pay any bank charges nor do I run up interest on my credit cards.

• I've not had a bank account for 5 months due to various financial reasons. Whenever you tell any type of organisation this they tend to look at you a bit weirdly. However I have just gained employment and got the most basic bogstandard cash-card account I could get.

• Im fully banked up these days (three accounts here in the Netherlands and one account in the UK!!!) but when I was living in Australia I went for periods with no account. I did eventually get n account but lived a few years with jus cash and I really loved it. its very freeing :) But then thats Australia. The land of the free :'( I miss it...

• By far the easiest way to not need a bank account is to not need money. Anything after that just makes it harder.. Not to say it's not possible, just harder. If I was going to put in the effort, I would do it for complete freedom from the monetary system, which I have often considered but never dared.

• I don't have one, but the better half does.
    My money gets put into her account. So i suppose it's not really revolutionary !

• I've not had a bank account for about ten years or so. I remember a few years ago, the BBC did a report on the subject, and I've never read so much crap in all my life. I read the report on line at home, which according to the BBC wasn't possible, because apparently you can't have home broadband without a bank account.

I still get my benefit money paid by cheque, and yet about two years ago, when a cheque went astray in the post and I rang up to sort it out, I was told that it would be my last one, as they needed bank details for future payments. I ignored that advice and I've heard nothing more of it since.

I have payment cards for all my utilities, so it's no trouble at all, to pay my bills when I go to cash my cheque. I know that with a bank account I wouldn't have to do that, and some of my bills would be slightly less, but it's a premium that I'm prepared to pay, because it means that I make payments on my terms, not someone else's. I'm also happy to do my bit to help post offices stay open, and I'd be making that trip into town every fortnight anyway to do my shopping, so the post office visit isn't really that much of an inconvenience.

People used to give me funny looks years ago, when I said that I don't deal with banks because they're criminal scum. I think most folks get the point nowadays though.

• The problem arises the day you try and buy something expensive for cash ie a new car. They will not let you . It happened to me 7 years ago , and I expect things are getting worse for cash transactions , my insurance broker didn't want cash , He said if he tried to pay more than £6000 into the bank there was a right ho har to the extent you got audited.(think that was the word he used . Got a mental block happening). and that was a buisness account.
    Even the scrap yard up the road pays by cheque now!

• A real sign of the times is a friend I have in Cape Town who runs a very small concreting concern , and he has a few guys labour for him that come from a squatter camp down the road , He will only employ guys with a bank account he can pay the money directly into, as 9 times out of 10 the poor guys get mugged on the way home after work.

• The problem arises the day you try and buy something expensive for cash ie a new car. They will not let you . It happened to me 7 years ago , and I expect things are getting worse for cash transactions , my insurance broker didn't want cash , He said if he tried to pay more than £6000 into the bank there was a right ho har to the extent you got audited.(think that was the word he used . Got a mental block happening). and that was a buisness account.
    Even the scrap yard up the road pays by cheque now!

Yeah I see you point, but personally having never earned more than minimum wage, I've never been in a position to make any expensive purchases like cars etc. so it's never been a problem for me, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I suppose that's the nice thing about being poor though, it's much easier to keep things nice and simple. :D

• Yeah I see you point, but personally having never earned more than minimum wage, I've never been in a position to make any expensive purchases like cars etc. so it's never been a problem for me, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I suppose that's the nice thing about being poor though, it's much easier to keep things nice and simple. :D

Would not normally be a problem for me , but I inherrited some money.I am poor again now though :)

• and of course having a bank account means you can be "traced" >i have a poor persons account with community bank ,money in/out and that is that but ,said bank is backed by one of the big high st banks.