Favourite soups?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well i dunno if it's this cold elsewhere in the uk but the wind and rain has made it freezing here in Edinburgh. Cold weather means it's coup making time for me. My girlfriend made a lovely thai broth the other day, and I think i"m going to make a classic carrot and coriander this afternoon.

Anyone care to share some favourite soups?

• To me soup is whole seperate food group, there's rarely a day that soup isn't one meal in the day. For a change from Carrot & Coriander(as nice as it is) do a search for Delia Smith's Carrot & Tarragon. I've always hated parsnips, that's my hell ingredient but I made this recipe and it tasted great, now if I see parsnips on special offer I'll buy them just to make this soup.
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/re…--parsnip-and-potato-soup

• It's soggy and cold here in hippy bridge, we've started on our winter food plan already! Made a lovely mushroom soup today and making a leek, potato and chickpea one for tomorrow, that one is possibly my favourite, there's loads of garlic in it too. Mmmm i do like a nice pasta e fagiolii though, hmm can't decide which one i like best...

We come with justice and fire. We come with honour and ideas. We come with decency and desire. We come now and we come as unstoppable as the rain

• I love soups......mine are like baby food :D I made a roasted onion, squash and sweet poato soup last week which was yum and a leek and potato soup at the weekend.........Also love carrot and coriander, pasta e fagiolii and I make a mean indian bean soup which I serve with naan bread nom nom nom

I make a mean indian bean soup which I serve with naan bread nom nom nom

Recipe please :) sounds yummy.

• Recipe please :) sounds yummy.

4tbs Veg Oil
    2 Onions
    8oz Poatato, peeled and diced,
    8oz Parsnip, peeled and diced,
    8oz Turnip or Swede, peeled and diced,
    2 Celery sticks, sliced,
    2 Courgettes, sliced,
    1 Green pepper, diced,
    2 Garlic cloves
    2 tsp ground coriander,
    1 tbsp Paprika,
    1 tbsp mild curry paste,
    2 pints veg stock,
    1 can (475g) black eye beans
    Chopped fresh coriander (optional)

Fry all veg apart from courgette and pepper for 5 mins. Add garlic, ground coriander, paprika and curry paste and cook for 1 min. Stir in stock and season. Bring to boil, cover and simmer gently for 25 mins, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans, courgettes and pepper, cover and continue cooking for further 15 mins or until veg are tender. Puree 1/2 pint of the soup mixture in a blender. Return pureed mixture to the soup and reheat. Sprinkle with chopped coriander if using.

• Please post recipes!... Thai broth! Hot & sour tofu soup! Pasta e fagiolii! All of the others mentioned! Taste buds are tingling with anticipation here (my peppery mung bean and leek is pretty damn good on a cold autumn day, btw!) :-)

• There's a Jamie Oliver recipe for Chickpea and Leek soup that I've made a couple of times, it's rather awesome, worth googling, making, amd om-nom-noming!!

• My favourite soups are parsnip and leek and potato, I often fill up my slow cooker with what ever I've pulled from the veggie plot or that I've got in my fridge and making soups and stews with it.

• i like broth style soups
    but i like a look in cupboard see what ive got and chuck it all in a pan type soup see what happens

Ditto amazing what a good root about can produce
    But I do like Curried Parsnip Soup a real winter warmer with lots of flavour but surprisingly mild.

• Yeah I'm not that keen on parsnips as a rule (unless they're roasted to a crisp) but they go well with curry spices

Yeah the whole combo seems to blend well, given it to peeps who hate curry and they liked it:vomit: ; well they ate it. Oh it's good with parsnip crisps as a topping:D

• just made a huge vat of broccoli soup, yum!

if your interested....
    melt a nob of butter, add in 1 onion, 2 carrots, 1/2 leek, thicken with flour, add in 1 litre of chicken & veg stock, add in a handfull of spring greens and two heads of broccoli, simmer for 15 mins, blitz. enjoy:D

• In upmarket retail catering they use a home made meat stock and this what gives the soup it's"body'. When I was a chef I was always loath to use booster or stock cubes. I would not have problem using Marmite as a meat stock substitute though.