Can strays bring fleas into your house?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey everyone!

I know I haven't been on here for aaages (so hello :waves:)

Basically I have just been woken up bitten to death by fleas and I have to be up in a few hours and I just need some advice as I'm just losing my mind now!!!! We don't let our cats out (due to the main road) so they are house cats. They started getting fleas about a month ago and it's got increasingly bad. We thought we had it under control the beginning of the week as they have had spot on treatment and we've sprayed the whole house, washed everything and cleaned all carpets through out (there's only one carpet in the house in the living room up the stairs so it's not that much.)
    I have combed them all through today and found a considerable amount, again!

Around the same time we started having this stray male hanging around. He's white and you can practically see the fleas on him! I am just wondering whether it's possible the fleas are somehow getting onto us or getting in through open vents and causing an infestation no matter how much we clean?? Should I phone RSPCA about him?

Help would be very grateful, we've tried everything!!

• Fleas are evil geniuses, you have my sympathies,
    I once bought a car that had been stood for about 3 months, it was fine for a about two week infact until I offered a nice lady a lift, who was very polite but had obviously suffered the nibble of the evil flee as had I. Apparently the flee eggs had waited until food was available and then hatched out. Quite a job to kill em three horrible sprays, not as bad as the mouse that lived under my clutch but that is whole nother story. Think the eggs are more resliant to spray than the grubs and flees so those that are now dead have left eggs as special pressies, which have now hatched. Good luck oh and lanacain(yellow tube) is excellent for the bites

• The house I currently live in, has a recurrent flea problem and I'm sick of being bitten and seeing the bites on my girls. It is possible that the stray is coming close and gets in contact with something you bring in - if I were you, I would get the stray into a catbox and drop it at the vets - explain it's not your cat but a stray that keeps infecting you and your neighbour's houses and can they treat him and rehome him - the vets near me are all very good if you take in animals that need help but don't have owners/are wild.

• we've been given some spray from the vets which is meant to be residual for a year, so when the fleas hatch theyre killed even months after spraying. dno how toxic it is, we've not tried it yet either. but i cnt stand picking them off baby :(

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Argh it's so annoying! Combed them through this morning - only a few. Combed them through 20 minutes ago and there's at least 30 I've caught! I can't sit down or relax without itching (think I'm slightly paranoid) just don't know what to do now!

We've spent so much money on flea stuff, too! I've noticed disinfectant is working a lot better to kill them once I've caught them than something I spent £5 on!

• I've got people who haven't had flea problems and I've noticed it's because they don't have many fabrics in their house. Wooden floors instead of carpets, blinds instead of curtains etc. So I am wondering whether we are just missing eggs because we have so much fabric in the house!

• If you have an infestation, you need to hoover all floors every day for at least a month, get all the pets in the home treated with a vet prescribed flea treatment (you can ask the vet for a prescription and then buy online for a cheaper price). Using ones from the supermarket or pet shop are no good and an utter waste of money at best and risking your pets health at worst. Phone up a local pest control or council service and ask them what they are currently treating furnishings and carpets with, because fleas do become immune to the treatments over time, so check what is currently working in your area. The best way to keep the home flea free is to treat your cats every month with frontline Combi, Advocate or stronghold (contact your vet to ask which is working best in your area, again as fleas can become immune).

If there is a stray that is bringing them to your home, treat them too if you can. Calling the RSPCA will probably do very little as they do not consider strays and feral cats to be their problem. You might be better off contacting some local smaller rescues and asking if they can help you to trap, catch and treat the cat(s). They my also help with re-homing stray cats, although not many of them will help with feral cats, unless they are injured or in distress. They may help by neutering the cats before releasing them back to the colony,which will in the long run cut down numbers.

Remember that the fleas you see are only the small part of the lifecycle. You will need to keep treating until all the eggs have hatched, gone through the larvae stage to the flea.

• I am quite scared to go by the stray as he looks very wild and not friendly at all. I'll definitely contact a local rescue about it, though.

Thank you for your advice Skully!

• The vet will have stuff to spray the carpets with. Remember to do under the sofas etc then leave well alone. It will kill the larvae as they hatch, but hoovering renders it useless. We've always found frontline effective for treating the cats. The stray is definitely responsible and needs treating too but if your cats are treated then any flea that lands on them will be killed too. As others have said, don't waste your money on supermarket rubbish, none of it works, though they have changed the rules so you can buy frontline over the counter rather than exclusively at the vets.

• We had the Frontline spray off the vets. Didn't work. One of the cats started losing his fur o.O

We've managed to get it down some, I'm taking the advice of vacuuming every day. One in the morning and one in the evening, and it's calmed down.

We're going to the vets at the end of the week for some advice and I think Percy needs anti biotics because he's allergic to fleas if they get too bad it really effects him.... :(

• I'm still wondering what to do about the stray....not sure I want to go near him and don't know if there's anywhere in the area that takes in strays. Something I should probably google now!

• the stuff we have is called indorex spray. my 'sister in law' gave it to us... she is flea free and her cat goes outside so i have fingers crossed for it!

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• I have found that Frontline, does not work, BUT Frontline Combi does. I have never seen the Frontline Combi on sale without a prescription from the vets.

I dunno if you can still buy it, but many years ago I moved into a bedsit infested with fleas, and I sprayed the whole place with Nuvan Top, left the windows open, and buggered off out for the day. Never saw another flea again.

• Not sure about flea treatment, but Cats Protection should be able to cover the cost of neutering if it needs doing, and then release him back again if he's too feral to re-home.

• i use to have a problem with fleas with my pets years ago 1 cat and 2 dogs i got some stuff which worked great. you got a few little tubes in a box once every month squirt one on the back of the animals neck (the fleas round the house died off too just with this stuff on the animals) think it was called fiproline

• If your vet gives you frontline - it wont work. Flea's get immune to things that are meant to kill them. We used to have the combo which worked - but i dont know whats best out now. Apart from hoovering everyday, cleaning all the floors - you need to get some bug bomb type stuff - maybe phone the vets and find he best type that will work - even in the cracks of wooden floors the little buggers can hide for a few days. If you dont treat every single egg by the time winter comes you will have the same problem as they will hatch when your heating goes on.

As reguards with the sray cat, phome your local rescue centres - try to avoid the rspca tho as they will pts, maybe the cpl will help you out - ask them for a crush cage and then you could treat the stray - even if they cpl wont take him on at least he would have been treated and will stop possibly infecting you cats. Good luck

• I dunno if you can still buy it, but many years ago I moved into a bedsit infested with fleas, and I sprayed the whole place with Nuvan Top, left the windows open, and buggered off out for the day. Never saw another flea again.

i remember that stuff, it was really good, but i am pretty sure you can't get it any more.

• next doors cat is rife as he lives outdoors mostly,i never had a single flea on me or wolfy i keep a diary of frontline due dates and drontal so cant complain about the cost etc.-saves me pennies in the long term,he is not infested or ill,most fleas i hear are from feral/stray cats

• Drontel is only thing working this yr. you can buy from vet but also cheaper on line. You don't need a script any more. You need a strong house spay from vets. There will be hundreds and thou sounds of eggs that will hatch out over the coming yr. even laminate will need treating all down the skirting if it's to work.

• Drontel is only thing working this yr. you can buy from vet but also cheaper on line. You don't need a script any more. You need a strong house spay from vets. There will be hundreds and thou sounds of eggs that will hatch out over the coming yr. even laminate will need treating all down the skirting if it's to work.

one thing i do is to put a flea collar or drops onto a pad ,that gets put into my vac and hey presto no eggs-that plus never missing a treatment has kept us free of any parasites for over two yrs.:)

• well i hate to go against the trend but continuous regular use of frontline from the vets keeps our 3 dogs free from fleas and ticks, and it works for feather mites on my horse too, so don't just disregard it out of hand.

'Drontel is only thing working this yr.'

drontal is a wormer.

• well i hate to go against the trend but continuous regular use of frontline from the vets keeps our 3 dogs free from fleas and ticks, and it works for feather mites on my horse too, so don't just disregard it out of hand.

'Drontel is only thing working this yr.'

drontal is a wormer.

flea and worm cycles are connected so it is pretty pointless missing either treatment,false economics too,considering vet fees :eek: