Karma and the avoidance of the Dark side

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Someone posted the following on Facebook :

"Don't waste your time on REVENGE. Those who hurt you will eventually face their own KARMA".

So far so good.

However what I would wish a view on is whether you should also roll over and not defend yourself. Is defending yourself the same as revenge and, if not, where is the dividing line?

• "Don't waste your time on REVENGE. Those who hurt you will eventually face their own KARMA".

So far so good.

Hmmm. Not quite. If you actively want to see someone suffer at the hands of "karma", then you're still motivated by the same negative desires that drive revenge. I don't want people who hurt me to "face their own karma" - I want them to learn from their mistakes, grow as human beings, and live healthy, happy and harmonious lives.

However what I would wish a view on is whether you should also roll over and not defend yourself. Is defending yourself the same as revenge and, if not, where is the dividing line?

The dividing line is motivation. Are you applying the minimal mental, physical or emotional force necessary to protect yourself, in the absence of any better options, or are you enjoying the act of mental, physical or emotional violence for its own sake? Are you acting out of anger or malice, or are you acting out of self-preservation?

None of us get this shit right every time, but it's a good idea to keep on trying ;)

• Defending yourself I suppose is whatever actions you take when an incident has/is taken/taking place, revenge is a different action you plan to get back at somebody after the initial incident.

• i see that statement as pretty true. i dont go for revenge on the whole, more negative actions dont heal you. taking revenge just makes you feel worse in the end i think, for me it would, however thats not to say i wouldnt take neccesary steps to protect myself, took me a long time to learn how to do that in a positive way and not feel guilty for it if it had the slightest negative consequence for anyone else, but i finally got the hang of putting my needs equally with other peoples, well more of the time than before anyway:)

i believe in karma, not as some mystical force but as a general law of cause and effect....if you continue to do shitty things to people, you are gonna find yourself in a crappy place, both inside and out, if your self denial is big enough it may take time but in the end things arnt gonna all work out rosy till you learn your lesson and change. i'd rather those who hurt me healed themselves and stopped hurting me( and others) than just punish them for it...that doesnt break the cycle of hurt, it just increases it.

thats not to say i dont sometimes wish i could at least make them feel what they had done to me, if only for a second....im only human, lol still have the urge to protect myself, having been hurt very badly it can be a knee-jerk thing but i try to apply heart and brain and respond well rather than just react.

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• If someone strikes you you have a right to strike them back. I don't think thats particularly wise in a lot of (probably most) cases, but its ethically justifiable.

• do as you want you are the one who will have to live with the result of your actions. and i am not trying to be flippant, when you look back at your defence and say i didnt need to be so... then maybe what you want will change. hope that makes sense.

• I think its a good idea to always try your best to act out of love. Sometimes thats hard when it feels like someone has done something to wrong you, but compassion and love always come into it. Quite often too, it can seem like someone has done something to you, when the reality is that if we change our perspective a little, they just acted in the only way they knew how at the time and didnt actually intend any real malice or deep harm. Usually people do things that seem bad through fear &/or insecurity. When i can see that, i don't feel any need for revenge because its not actually about me. They are acting in response to their own interpretations of things, their own world, not mine.

Regarding defending yourself, it depends what you mean exactly, but my thoughts are that defeding yourself means trying to stay open, loving, compassionate, so that you understand the situation and don't feel so personally attacked by it in the first place.
    :)

• Post by shpongled ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • i strongly belong in the laws of karma. it is always temping when someone wrongs you to wish the karma effect on them. however i think this makes us just as bad, we are pushing ill will on to people. ive done it myself, Now i am learning to just let the universe deal with it. Unless it involves my children. then there is a whole load of whoop ass coming thier way!:insane:

• We're all screw-ups in different ways, and we will all unintentionally hurt people and be hurt by people, that's just the way it goes :shrug:. Some people are "abusers", but even they are like that because of things they've experienced in the past, and in my opinion, even they deserve some compassion, nobody is 'evil' unless they don't have a conscience.

Obviously everyone is shaped by their past experiences, so if someone is horrible, you can pretty much guarantee they're like it because they've been through shit times in their life. I don't think looking for revenge and wishing bad things to happen to them, is the best way of dealing with it, personally I'd rather try and forgive.

It'd be nice if people analysed situations which have caused them anguish, and learnt from their mistakes and took some responsibility for their actions, though. A lot of people don't do that, they just plough through life making the same mistakes over and over:(. Mutual understanding of what went wrong in a situation, and the determination to learn from it and move forward, is much more satisfying than any sort of 'karma', in my opinion.

• Y'know, I just can't be arsed with it. There's enough suffering in the world without wishing harm on others - even if they've harmed you. It doesn't achieve anything. It doesn't make your life any better. It just fuels anger, resentment, bitterness and hatred, all of which are destructive emotions. The desire for vengeance is one of the greatest failings of the human character, and I always find it sad to see hippies perpetuating that failing by dressing it up as a desire for "karma" - as though counting on "the universe" to deliver punishment somehow whitewashes their desire for retribution.

• Post by shpongled ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Y'know, I just can't be arsed with it. There's enough suffering in the world without wishing harm on others - even if they've harmed you. It doesn't achieve anything. It doesn't make your life any better. It just fuels anger, resentment, bitterness and hatred, all of which are destructive emotions. The desire for vengeance is one of the greatest failings of the human character, and I always find it sad to see hippies perpetuating that failing by dressing it up as a desire for "karma" - as though counting on "the universe" to deliver punishment somehow whitewashes their desire for retribution.

i have a lot of respect for that position, but still i think its natural to seek revenge and retribution, be angry etc. and i think its ok to feel such things- dangerous to be in denial about them, doesnt mean we have to surrender the whole of ourselves to them. I think we need to embrace the dark side to transcend it, not try to just make it disappear (then its just buried) But of course we all have an amazing bright side to call upon too - that also needs more recognition

• I learnt to be much more tolerant after my dad died
    My step sister and half sister cleared out his house taking everything even my real mums belongings I was devastated and my nerves took a heck of a bashing
    Straight away I was like you'll get your karma
    But as the weeks went by I mellowed and started to think what the heck they have to live with what they have done to me
    I have my memories they can't take those
    And I started to see this karma thing in a whole different light
    I think if an injustice is done to you by another person the initial knee jerk reaction is to get angry and out comes karma or worse but breathe
    I have a tendency to think wow how unhappy must that person be I hope they find their happy place soon

• Post by rainbowliving ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.