What happens financially if you quit??

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Ok so I think...or I know...I'm cracking up..and I can't face my job anymore...I think I'm literally having a nervous breakdown at the thought of it!! I need to leave but I don't know what will happen to me/partner if I do?? I mean, I don't think you can get any benefits or housing if you CHOOSE to leave your job right? Can anyone give me any advice on this, or what happened to them etc because I really don't know what to do...HELP! :panic:

• If you are feeling that bad about work go and see your doctor who should give you a sick note, which will give you time to think and get more advice, I'm sure you can get loads of advice on here. But do not just quit your job. Sorry in a bit of a rush to say more, hope you get what you need and start feeling better, you have taken a postive step towards your future. thinking of you x

• that way you will get statutory sick pay at the very least and will give you time to find something else. If you are in a union, seek their advice x x x

• thank you ! I feel like such a fraud going and asking for a sick note..I hate how this country has this fixation on people asking for help as being 'scroungers'...how easy is it to get a dr to sign you off? what do you need to do? God I feel so awkward and embarrassed about the whole thing :insane:

• If you choose to leave a job you cannot claim benefits in the same way as if you didn't have one in the first place. Job seekers particularly is for people who are trying to find work but are unable, and if you had a job that you could have kept, then they don't count that as being unable to find work, etc. Is it the specific job that is a problem for you at the moment? Maybe there is another proffesion you could go into, even if temporarilly and on a lower wage or less interesting, but less stressful, or without whatever it is that you are currently finding difficult, while you look for amore ideal job?

However, if there is something that they find to be significantly good cause for you leaving that particular job, and you are now looking for a new job in all the appropriate ways, they can give you job seekers allowance. If you were being bullied or treated unfairly at work, or if there was a significant reason why that particular job was no longer suitable for you, they would likely give it to you as a temporary measure until you found yourself a new job(temporary measure until you find a job you are capable of doing being what job seekers is for).

Housing benefit is usually decided independently of other benefits, so you may be entitles to housing benefit. If you had children you would also still be entitles to child tax credits, but your working tax credits would be stopped (if you were on a low income and were recieving this benefit, but you have not mentioned having any child dependants so it is probably irrelevant).

IF YOU ARE HAVING A NERVOUS BREAK DOWN that is grounds for not going into work, by which I mean, take the advice of mayfly, and sarah and myself, and go see your doctor. IF you are depressed so suffering from anxiety they may offer you therapy or medication. These are optional, though, and (unless you went really mental and had to be sectioned for your own safety or something REALLY extreme like that) they will not and cannot make you take them. If you feel you can manage work right now, go in. IF you are concerned about your own well being and/or also your ability to do your job well, tell a manager of some sort that you want to speak to them in private and tell them what is going on. If work is a problem for you at the moment, tell them what you are finding difficult about it, if you are having personal problems, mental health problems, or you are just stressed and you don't know why, tell them. Then, they may be able to help, or at least they won't find it out of the blue if you call in sick and don't turn up in a few days. Depending on your work place's sickness reporting and certificating procedures, if you feel you cannot manage right now, don't go in to work, and do whatever you would normally do for any phyisical illness, phone up? Get a GP note? You can tell the doctor about whatever is wrong, and if they are understandinmg the situation they may suggest some time off work and some sort of treatment (therapy, medication for depression, anxiety, something else, referral to another doctor/health profesional). If your doctor does not suggest or offer these things and you think you need them, you can ask. They may give you a sicknote that does not last very long, if this is the case, see how it goes, and if you stil don't feel up to it and ask for another sick note. If after some time off you return to the same job, you can often ask for things to be done to make it easier, e.g. arrangng with a higher up what is going to be said to co workers about why you are away, weather you will be given less responsibilties for a while, or a gradual return to work plan.

If you took time off sick with the permission of your GP note, you would at least be entitled to statutory sick pay as Sarah says. If you are in a bad way at the moment and can't do your job, you are better off just having time off sick financially, because your employer is likely to give you some decent wage sick pay at least for a while, and then if you found yourself feeling better and you thought you could go back, job already there, even if you change it as soon as you can find something else.

If, you think just changing jobs will help, do that. maybe you could try working part time and being very frugal with cash for a while?

I was cracking up in my last job, I thought that what I needed was just a change, then I thought that what I needed was just a break, I even saved up so I could have a month or two off and then get another job, but in the end all that happened was I got so stressed, so ill, so exhausted, I could not even do my job, I really did have a break down, I repeatedly got sent home, I had had that dreaded feeling of 'I just can't go back there, oh but it's my job, I have to, I'll go in, it's just one more day/week/month/' and then just breaking down crying to becoming physically ill and having to leave, even getting so ill I had to be dropped off home by my boss. Fun ;). I didn't know what to do either, but I did have some time off on the sick in the end, and I eventually left.

I really hope you find a situation that is better for you. And I really hope you find a way to help yourself before you really do 'crack up'. You deserve to be happy. Go with your gut truth where possible, avoid decisions based on anger, and conserve cash wherever possible, you never know when you might need it.

• Do not feel bad, I know you want to work and would rather work but sometimes peeps need a break. Got to say that work has not supported you if you are now feeling so bad. Be proud to ask for help, ignore the daily mail type and their rants, this is real life your life. I know it is hard and I'm sure some people will explain the process before sunday is out on here.
    Just remember the goal is to feel better x

• Sorry midnight star, I didn't see your last post, and the lack of paragraph spaces made my 'advice' illegable practically. :/

It is really awful to feel like you are not entitled to ask for help when you genuinely need it because of the strange culture of opinion surrounding the issues you are dealing with. All you need to do with the doctor, is (if you feel you need to do this immediately)

1. Not turn up on Monday
    2. Follow your usual sickness reporting procedure to let them know you are not coming in and tell them you are going to see the doc
    3. Make an ASAP appointment with GP surgery
    4. Tell the doctor genuinely what is going on for you
    5. Discuss options to help, some doctors are better and some are worse in terms of advice and stuff
    6. Specifically tell them that you have not gone into work today, that you can't do your job properly, and you require a sick note, can you have one please

It should be simple, the hard part is actually plucking up the couraging and leanring to be clear and firm with people. If you have problem, you have a problem, if cannot do somehting, you cannot do it, if you need help, you need help. If you do not encounter helpful doctor, make the next appointment with a different GP specifically. If you think you might lose your nerve, or find it difficult to adequately explain, take some one with you(I hope there is someone).

• Thanks for taking so much time out to reply to my msg Rowan, I found it really helpful and encouraging. I think I'll just have to go to the Dr's, explain my embarrassing situation, and hopefully get some time off sick. I'll just have to try and not get too embarassed to actually stress the seriousness of my situation - which is kinda what usually happens! Thanks all for your supportive words, it's good to talk x

• think I'll just have to go to the Dr's, explain my embarrassing situation, and hopefully get some time off sick. I'll just have to try and not get too embarassed to actually stress the seriousness of my situation - which is kinda what usually happens!

Why is it embarrassing for you? Stress is one of the highest causes of sickness in the work place - it's not unusual for people to have time off because they can't cope or need to take some time before they really can't cope! It's hard to offer advice without knowing what you do and why it's stressing you out but is there anyone at work you can talk to?

• It's stressful because I have depression/social anxiety disorder and have been trying to 'be normal' and work and it's all just gone wrong...anyway I've written a long letter to my general manager explaining things and I'm going to finally face up to things and see the doctor properly about it....I guess this is what happens when you fake it and never make it! Thanks for all the advice guys x

• It's stressful because I have depression/social anxiety disorder and have been trying to 'be normal' and work and it's all just gone wrong...anyway I've written a long letter to my general manager explaining things and I'm going to finally face up to things and see the doctor properly about it....I guess this is what happens when you fake it and never make it! Thanks for all the advice guys x

'' Better to have tried, then never to have tried at all''

You can only learn by doing, I am sure that there are many aspects of work that you are good at or you would not have the job. All the experince you have gained good and bad will go on to be useful in the future.

But for now concentrate on getting yourself well and be a bit selfish. Just take small steps, as Rowan sez the doc is there to help if they are not sympathetic bin um and get another. Remember illness is not a crime it is human.
    Take care and take time
    MF x:)

That's incredibly brave after just being embarrassed to see your doctor! This sounds like a good thing for you to do - do let us know the outcome!

• Hey, have you been "diagnosed" with anxiety disorder? Will it be on doctors records or anything? I got set up with a job by the jobcentre in a call centre, and due to panic attacks on the job I had to quit. During the time I had the job I sorted myself a flat out. Once I'd quit the job I went to the jobcentre to see if I could sign on again, claiming I had to leave due to a medical condition. Some questions were asked then they pretty much set me up with it right away, and I was also able to seek housing benefit. This gets me just enough to live on. Now I'm not taking advantage by any means, that job was wrong for me and did cause major anxiety issues, but I'm desperate to find some manual labour kinda work now and am actively seeking it. But yeah, I simply made clear that I couldn't perform that job due to my anxiety disorder and needed work in a different field it wasn't much trouble getting support.

• Hey, have you been "diagnosed" with anxiety disorder? Will it be on doctors records or anything?...I'm desperate to find some manual labour kinda work now and am actively seeking it

- Yeah it's on their records, I went today and I've been given 2 wks holiday and been referred to some anxiety/cognitive talky type people which should help. Good luck with finding a job that suits you! Did you get put on housing straight away once you quit your job?

A lot of sh*t has gone down the past few years and I've been 'faking it' to be 'normal and work etc etc' and its all just got on top of me..I'm feeling a lot more in control now though! Luckily my work replied to my letter straight away, and just like I thought they would, they have been more than understanding and sympathetic and given me the option for going on their 'bank staff' list, which means I only need to work when it suits me. Which is just great for someone like me! I'm gonna go spend a few weeks seeing family and friends and by the time I get back everything should be smelling like roses :D Thanks again to all you beautiful people that took the trouble to listen and respond x