Kitchen - pet hates

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Peeling spuds................no idea why but I really hate doing this :S

My cat is obsessed with potato peelings tries to steal them from the bin and all. I muffle the noise of peeling spuds with music so he doesn`t come and annoy me :D

I hate peeling and chopping carrots for my carrot soup and i also hate greasing baking trays with margarine.

• The random strawberry/raspberry going fluffy then 'infecting' the rest of the punnet within a day of buying them. Fucking zombie berries!

^ this, a thousand times this!

Dishwashers, not sure why. I sneak my mother's one evil glances when we visit, it's just so... unnecessary, bulky and ugly.

Not realising one of the dishes/glasses has broken and slicing my hand open, not pretty. Perhaps an arguement FOR dishwashers...

• ^ this, a thousand times this!

Dishwashers, not sure why. I sneak my mother's one evil glances when we visit, it's just so... unnecessary, bulky and ugly.

Not realising one of the dishes/glasses has broken and slicing my hand open, not pretty. Perhaps an arguement FOR dishwashers...

Ahhhhh but they are so efficient water and gas/eleccy. I know cos my uncle has one and he is the most tight fisted person in the whole world :D
    My pet hate is the fact that no matter what size your kitchen is it always needs to be bigger.:S

• MY kitchens possesed by the bin monster, ie its like a weelie bin and im the monster in it. It goes all tidy prim and proper then suddenly goes all mouldy with dishes and crok piled up all over, and my pet hate in the kitchen is ahh more time in here ill never get back

• People putting dirty teaspoons on the draining board, leaving little puddles of tea that I end up cleaning up.

I'm glad someone else has said this, I thought it was just me!!

I once lived with a very close friend and she did this / left them on the side and I really dont know why but it would wind me up SO SO much!! every other aspect of sharing with her was fine! I even brought one of those little 'tea spoon' rests but she didnt use it!! lol

• People putting dirty teaspoons on the draining board, leaving little puddles of tea that I end up cleaning up.

It's all about ergonomics and efficiency. Dump the teaspoon on the drainer when you're done with it, then when you go back to make another brew, you can pour the hot water that you just used to warm the pot, over the spoon. Hey presto, said spoon is good to go, and right in front of you. :D

My comedy toaster, which twangs the toast up the air when it's done, really ticks me off sometimes. My doggie likes it though, when I don't make the catch. :curse:

• people only *half* clearing up and leaving tons of crap everywhere, if you open milk *put that littls circle thingy IN THE BIN* it will not walk there itself!!! and also when washing up, please emply any of the meal thats left into bowl in the fridge and wash the pan up. grrrr

• my kitchen is a kit as in kitten and chien as in dog, so it lookks at the mo like thers crap all over and the dogs ripped it up. i hate the kitchen, why does cooking a nice meal seem like a good idea till the agtermath ie just stuff everywhere, why cant i cook just enough for my self so theres no leftovers to faf about with. ie cook hmmm nice meal wash up ...done. but noooo i always cook to much and end up eating it till thursday. and and sandwiches for work.

imagine winning the lotto, right breakfast...cafe...dinner...cafe..tea....pub....stagger home...bed...book that flight.....see the world...eat out in the real china town!

• cleaning a potato masher and a garlic crusher

Totally. If you don't clean the masher immediately it becomes impossible! And you end up stinking of garlic after you clean the crusher.

Quote from Elfie

the washing-up bowl being left full of stagnant water overnight, and even worse, when dirty dishes are left standing in the stagnant water :panic:

Yes! And having to stick your hand in the water to pull the plug... yuk.

• My tap drips constantly, so if you forget to move the tap so that it doesn't drip into the tub, by morning it's full of water!

My pet hate (literally!) is the fact that the cats will not stay off the worktops!! If anything they're getting worse. Anything left out is fair game - two days ago I came home to a ripped open bag of oatmeal in the hall, with a trail leading all the way back to the kitchen. Bread has to be left in the microwave to defrost because they rip it open and eat it, and shopping has to be put away immediately. I'm at my wit's end!