What is your/my purpose in life

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hmm I have been giving this a lot of thought lately, what is our purpose why, what is the point of my exsistance, or human exsistance, well to get away from the darkside or the pit of doom i had to find some logic some motivation behind what the hell is the point of all us billions in the world.

so if it helps i looked on various websites, and i got quite motivated ie i stayed away from the gloomy head in the sand ones,

Basicly it boils down to what your goals are in life,

what your skills are,
    if you had to teach something what would it be
    and what did you use to enjoy that you never get time to enjoy now

finally picture the scene you have made it to the ripe old age of 90 your sat on a rocking chair and your sat back contented knowing that you have done all you want to have done.

in a nutshell this has helped me but apparently this bliss is nt found by rushing about trying to be comfortable in life, ie making loads of money and working hard, anyway somehow from this gloop i have extracted that as l i need to

teach somebody something
    seize the day
    god i dont know but i guess it would be nice to grow into an old duffer with a smile on me face playing the eucalalee or guitar or banjo or something.

anyway hope this helps ev 1 in these shite times feel free to drop a line what you think your purpose is and how you and others can motivate us all to be happier and content,

i

• I may not know the purpose in life until I get to the end. I read somewhere that life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. I wondered a bit about this but for me it was a wake up not to spend too much time trying to work it all out and just do what you do. Not everyone can be Shakespeare and for every King there are hundreds of peasants.

It always seems easy to say live for today as thats a bit too short but I try to keep goals as short term as possible to allow for changes. I think when I get to 90 (if) I will have loads of regrets but those will be the problems to deal with then, not now.

• No clear answer here, but one thing i know is that i do better when im worrying about other peoples problems than when i worry about my own. I think teaching is great too, but its best saved for people who actually want to learn the skills. If not then ill save my energy for someone who does. That way maybe theyll pass it on too.

• mathilda The quote about life is from Kierkegaard, one of my favourite philosophers. He wrote a lot about seeing life from our own perspective, rather than trying to objectively understand it. Toni Packer answers the question, What is the purpose of life?, by saying the question itself creates a separation between "me" and "my life". "When there is no feeling of separation, then there is just living. There is just life" (This is from William Elliott's book Tying Rocks to Clouds)

• Life just is. In my opinion, our only purpose can be reproduction. We all have reproductive organs, but, as human beings we needn't worry about that kind of thing. We only wonder about our purpose because life isn't such a struggle anymore. We don't worry about where our next meal is coming from.

However, I like this....

To leave this life, having made a difference?

On a personal note, I would like to do something positive with my life, and to me that means: protecting the natural environment from destruction by humans and trying to limit my actions that cause suffering to other living beings, mainly.

I think life is a beautiful thing. The variety of life on earth is possibly unique to our planet, which is why we should care more about it.

• No clear answer here, but one thing i know is that i do better when im worrying about other peoples problems than when i worry about my own. I think teaching is great too, but its best saved for people who actually want to learn the skills. If not then ill save my energy for someone who does. That way maybe theyll pass it on too.

I knid of dod that then my mates got girlfriends or moved in different cicles and sort of binned me off even though i was there for them wjen it mattered. I kind of get the urge to say sod em at times, like when i had a girlfriend i used to always make time meet up with friends when i should have been looking after my girlfriend or being more like a couple. They used to bother me to death, now i never hear a peep. but they know i will always be there for them

To leave this life, having made a difference?

Wasnt that the attitude of cecil rhodes and look what good he did!

I like your attitude, for me i think i would personally feel fuller in life having a kid but i know from what people say your life is never the same again and best laid plans of doing things get put on hold nearly forever.
    Your fix is your job and battling to save the natural environment, however this might in future become a chore or mundane it doesnt matter what you do if you do it for years you either love it or begin to hate it, so would you have a back up plan if you tired of your job?

The beauty of life is that there is no point. So revel in the chaotic, fractured, splendor of existence!

I like this attitude but i do feel to take stock of your life and do something with it you need to have a sort of plan, or try and get a fix of happy points every year so you can look back take stock and say i did that or maybe training people younger than you your skills. ie if you work with older folks there going to get old retire and die, wheras hopefully you see your younger workmates or try to be young at heart then somehow your imortal, look at jimmy saville though he evoked a yound spirit amoung young and old and gave so much that it made him happy, or thats how it appeared, so he got his fix of life by making money either himself or doing marathons and he enjoyed getting rid of some of it.

• Dunno at mo life is dangling n everything is on the brink of change x

Why is life dangling? to me your avatar looks a happy one and your life appears to be happy, with your kids etc.

I m not going to tell you how to live your life, but i have these crazy ideas then i quash them, at the moment i am living to work and i am quite happy with that, i may suddenly wake up and my life has wizzed by, i sincerly hope not.

I seriously want to move vr built me own spot but its in the wrong place i would like to live in the remotest place possible maybee on the edge of a wood but its all talk ill still live in this village thats all suburbian with neighbours who twich there curtains and tut at my garden which is horrendus, sod em but i really would like to be remote, so i could blast me guitar all night or strike up me welder etc etc, maybee i could run butt naked in me garden or sleep in a tree without sodding neighbours.

• life is dangling coz jobs are hanging by a thread a moment so just waiting and seeing as to where the path leads next. As for kids yup there always happy except yesturday when my middle girl (not the one in avatar) had another seizure. The avatar is an old pic cant seem to get it to change lol. you dont look to chuffed in your pic lol.

Id like to move then maybe the car would still be in one piece when we wake up in the morning, no nosey neighbours watching your every move and screaming you down on the door step coz you have an ill child that crys in the night and then slams the door at 9pm and 10pm waking my kids without a care.

I smile thru it all tbh its the only way to get thru it sometimes. i also hedge on the side of normality whilst having crazy dreams of a better life too.

• life is dangling coz jobs are hanging by a thread a moment so just waiting and seeing as to where the path leads next. As for kids yup there always happy except yesturday when my middle girl (not the one in avatar) had another seizure. The avatar is an old pic cant seem to get it to change lol. you dont look to chuffed in your pic lol.

Id like to move then maybe the car would still be in one piece when we wake up in the morning, no nosey neighbours watching your every move and screaming you down on the door step coz you have an ill child that crys in the night and then slams the door at 9pm and 10pm waking my kids without a care.

I smile thru it all tbh its the only way to get thru it sometimes. i also hedge on the side of normality whilst having crazy dreams of a better life too.

Hmm life is tough i hope i dont come across as a pompus prat, i should really think of people postion, ie job securitys a reall issue with most of the country at the mo, we get dips at work and we all shit ourselves, but if like you, you have kids and/or a heavy mortgage etc life is i guess a dangling act, ...sorry

• Not sure about purpose in life...but I imagine that when I'm reaching the end of my life, what will really matter are the people I've connected with.

• I like your attitude, for me i think i would personally feel fuller in life having a kid but i know from what people say your life is never the same again and best laid plans of doing things get put on hold nearly forever.
    Your fix is your job and battling to save the natural environment, however this might in future become a chore or mundane it doesnt matter what you do if you do it for years you either love it or begin to hate it, so would you have a back up plan if you tired of your job?

I wasn't really referring to my work life, just the way I live my life in general..... vegetarianism, recycling, shopping ethically, etc. On the subject of work though.... yes, everyone gets a tired and stressed, but if you're doing something you care about, it really makes a difference to your mental health and your opinions towards work. My back-up plans are things like office work, so that thought really makes me appreciate what I'm doing now!

• I wasn't really referring to my work life, just the way I live my life in general..... vegetarianism, recycling, shopping ethically, etc. On the subject of work though.... yes, everyone gets a tired and stressed, but if you're doing something you care about, it really makes a difference to your mental health and your opinions towards work. My back-up plans are things like office work, so that thought really makes me appreciate what I'm doing now!

As long as you are happy that s all that ,matters and i think you are. It does look like you can look back with a contented grin at your time at work at the moment.

• I have had a couple of purposes so far in life,and it is quite nice to have a purpose,as well as doing the other things in life that you enjoy,as a sense of purpose (in my humble opinion) can help you sleep at night and help you feel good about who you are,especially if that sense of purpose is for the betterment of others. I am quite an egotistical charecter type,in that I always put a lot of time into doing what I want and creating serenity in my own life,which I believe then gives me the strengh and the power to help others.

My first concious purpose was that of a bringer of light,where I would run around everywhere spreading love and happiness through fun and compassion.A lot of this has stayed with me over the years and it seems much more natural to be doing that now alongside my latest purpose which is an environmental one in that I want to buy a million trees,so to keep lots of pockets of forest and woodland all over europe to give habitat to our native animals,as well as supplying us with beauty and fresh air,and making sure that our grand children dont have to ask us things like " what were forests like " and the such.
    For the moment I only have about twelve acres of decent woodland,and have planted a few thousand trees in other places to help generate woodland for other people,but it is a start and I feel happy with what I have achieved so far.

A sense of purpose does not have to be the biggest of adventures,or a huge life changing situation,it cold be just giving constantly on a small level (materially or not),or helping someone else achieve their larger goals.
    A sense of purpose,or your purpose in life does not have to be one thing,but can consist of many different things,and does not have to be a huge spiritual mission on saving the world single handed.

We are all just like ants in a nest or bee's in a hive,where each single action goes on towards creating a better world for the others,and as the bee's and the ants,I believe that by just simply being here and exhisting we are all serving the purpose that we were created for,so even if we dont have purposeful missions based on our own feelings of wanting to make a change,we are all doing so anyhow.

Anyhow,thats enough philosophy from me for the time being as I have not even had my morning coffee yet and the geese are shouting at me to come and feed them and change their drinking water.

Love and light to all

Fly

• I believe that the basic purpose of ALL people is ... happiness. :) as simple as that. Learn what makes u happy and what makes u unhappy, and learn to eliminate (or changing your attitude) to things that cause suffering,and cultivate things that make u happy, therefore reaching long-lasting deep peacefull happiness :) Apart from that , i learnt that I personally get most of happiness when i help people..serve them without expecting anything in return.. The power of love and compassion is trully enormous and doesnt only affect YOU yourself but also affects all the people around you..

• Life has no purpose.

Life is a gift.

Don't unwrap it too quickly.

Savour every moment.

Life is filled with happiness, misery, tears of sadness and joy, pain, grief, elation, ecstasy, fun, frivolity, good days, bad days.

No 2 lives are the same.

Don't get hung up on the problems in the world.

Be your own person.

When a seed falls to the ground and begins to grow it has no idea which way the wind will blow is leaves.

Let life happen and it will be a surprise. Enjoy it right now that's why right now is a present.

I spent years wandering and wondering - lookign and searching for an answer.

At the end of my journey I was back where I started.

There is no answer.

There are infinite answers.

You have to stop asking the qestions and simply be.

Then you truly appreciate the gift.

• If I knew that there would be no point, I think. Knowing the purpose implies a certain ending, and if I knew how it was going to end the game wouldn't be worth finishing.

• purpose of life is to end suffering. we suffer because we continually strive after things/goals that do not give lasting happiness. We desperately try to hold on to things - friends, health, material things - that do not last, and this causes sorrow. yes Buddha talk but it is as close to what i could have come up with myself. everything we do has an effect so i would hope my effect is minimal by the time i shift off the coil

• On a personal note, I would like to do something positive with my life, and to me that means: protecting the natural environment from destruction by humans and trying to limit my actions that cause suffering to other living beings, mainly.

I think life is a beautiful thing. The variety of life on earth is possibly unique to our planet, which is why we should care more about it.

I agree and for me i like to try and make up for some of the cruel things that people do to the planet and animals so i make changes in my own life to reduce my impact but also want to be more active in trying to change things, raise awareness. I decided to train to be a vet nurse too so that i can travel and volunteer on animal projects - nursing animals that have been badly treated by humans, to tip the scales. That's my calling. That's my purpose.. or one of them :) And i thank my trusted mongrel friend for showing me such unconditional love and showing me the way :wub:

I like the reference to ants and bees somewhere in this thread too... we each have a purpose and it all helps for the greater good, whatever that may be x

• I've been giving this one a LOT of thought since I've spotted it, along the "Are You Following Your Dream" one. Like it or not, I seem to be on this planet to help others achieve things... so much so that anything I want comes a distant second.

In some ways I don't mind - I like to see people I care for being happy, but it is often akin to giving someone a "leg up" a high wall, then watching them disappear over the other side without lending you a hand.

• I don't think there is a point to our existence, we just happen to be a biological accident.

That's not to say there is no point to life, but YOU have to make your life worth living.

There is no grand plan, no mission for humanity, no "point" to us being alive, but none of that in anyway cheapens or lessens you being alive, many things have no point or useful purpose but they are still enjoyable and valid and worthy of being.

If you spend your entire life waiting for some great secret to be revealed to you you're just going to end up disappointed, enjoy yourself NOW, don't wait for some higher purpose to make you happy or feel worth while, just get on and enjoy your life.

• I agree with the idea that the purpose of life is happiness especially since reading some of the books by John Cowper Powys. He wrote several books about living and his central argument was that the purpose of life is for the individual to be happy. ;) He addresses the problems that people face in their daily lives and goes on to give ideas and strategies to help people to be happy. It is very practical guidance on living and his strategies can be included in daily life. He attacks materialism and the effects of modern society on people. He advocates a simpler, quieter life with emphasis on being in and contemplating nature. Although it is an individualistic emphasis, it is not a selfish way of living for he argues that compassion is an essential trait we must develop in ourselves and when the individual is happy in their life, this happiness will be transmitted to others; I think this is very true as from personal experience I have found those who are the most unhappy (though they may have much in material terms) are the people who cause the most problems for other people and negatively affect others lives.

Powys wrote his 'philosophical' books between the 1920s and 1950s and admittedly he can sound a little old-fashioned at times but he is a great writer and he talks to the reader in a straightforward way and his aim was to help the ordinary man and woman to have happier lives. I discovered him at a time in my life when he really did come to the rescue.

Faber & Faber have reprinted a number of his philosophy books as well as some of his novels. His philosophical books include:

The Art of Happiness
    In Spite Of
    The Philosophy of Solitude
    In Defence of Sensuality
    The Meaning of Culture
    The Art of Growing Old

Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9YCH0fxMAk

I put the above video together (a very simple one) as I feel John Cowper Powys is overlooked as a philosopher and writer and it is my way of saying 'thank you' to him for what I gained from his wisdom about life.

• we have philosophers an gurus and so called famous people spouting the meaning of life an which path to take which in my way of thinking is to deep an a load of bollocks why not keep a smile try to help somebody now an again try not to grab all you can an have time for other people mystics my arse