North to receive lower benefits than South?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Just seen on the news that Cameron now wants people in the North to receive less benefits than those in the South.
    That's one way to lose votes from half of the country, pitch us against each other and re-forge the north/south divide.

• "They're coming to take him away, hah hah hee hee" fooking hope and pray on that one.. drag the tosser off to prison and keep chucking him bars of soap to catch!!

• Well he doesn't actually get many votes in the north anyway. And lets face it northerners or not, people on benefits are hardly likely to vote for him anyway so it's more an exercise in shoring up support for the Nasty Party.

• Not sure I'm suprised it is the sort of thing drunken tories sprout in the pub, not suprised Cameron repeated it sober. So all can go that ''ain't right'', then he can go '' oh you are so right I am so wrong''. But in a cunning slight of hand the north will cost whitehall less some how health, sport or transpport. want to say fuck um but I won't cause it is a bit rude.

• cameron really is pitiful what else can i say. No matter where you live benefits cannot be lived on. The noirtherners living on em are hardly jet setting to jamaica on em. How long is it before the next general election?

• Housing benefit is already regional, down to borough level. All the rest pales into insignificance compared to hb and that has been cut already. Taking a few quid off the pittance people get isnt going to make a damns worth of diffetence to the budget, its just another two fingers up to the poor.

• Housing benefit is already regional, down to borough level. All the rest pales into insignificance compared to hb and that has been cut already. Taking a few quid off the pittance people get isnt going to make a damns worth of diffetence to the budget, its just another two fingers up to the poor.

Income-based JSA accounts for less than 2% of social security spending. That's about the same amount that gets spent on winter fuel payments and concessionary TV licenses - neither of which are means tested. Go figure.

• That is interesting. The sick are expensive because pfi makes millions for private companies, the low income cost a fortune because private rents are so high and the elderly have already paid. Sort out those problems and there would be plenty left to treat the unemployed like humans. They could also get jobs building council houses ..

• Sort out those problems and there would be plenty left to treat the unemployed like humans. They could also get jobs building council houses ..

I'll have to work on my builder's bum..

I don't think we need anymore houses. Primarily we need to sort out the one's we do have - some regeneration is in order. What bugs me is people buying to rent.

• Wouldn't be so bad if the rents were affordable. By to let is fine, by to rinse and exploit.... not so fine.

I was thinking along the lines of first-time buyers, who don't want to rent. Lots of houses are being erected for this purpose, and there should be no need.

• Nothing to stop councils buying houses to renovate as well as building new ones too. Also, charging rates on building that have been empty for more than two years would put more houses on the market. All of which would drive rents down and make buy to rent unprofitable, solving the problem, unless house prices also dropped, but then people would buy them to live in anyway so win either way. The only losers would be those who bought houses strictly for profit. Older people looking to retire to smaller properties wouldn't lose as the smaller properties would come down in price too, still leaving them with cash left over.