'Work Program'

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I am being put on the governments wonderful and magical new 'work program' for 18-24 year olds who have been out of work for 9 months.... fun times eh?

I dont have a clue at what this means or entails, it just sounds like another craptastic plan the government is chucking money to, but hey, the government are paying people to get other people jobs... so lets hope I get a job out of the end of this! :/

• I remember two guys (married with kids), on the one I went on spent the whole time telling the rather inexperienced incharge lady that they wanted to be catholic priests, went on all week. Dunno why just made the time fly by, it was before google etc so it was harder to research priest requirements. By thursday she had to break it to them they might not be able to attain their dream.

• Aww, dude. Doesn't sound like fun. It seems to me that these things are aimed at those who need some help in that department. However, that isn't the case for a lot of people without jobs at the moment, like yourself. There just simply aren't many jobs available. It sucks that they must understand this, but will treat you as if you're stupid anyway. I wonder if anyone is seriously looking into the number of unemployed (on JSA) vs the number of vacancies.

It's difficult when you've got degrees too. I was applying for office jobs and getting nowhere, despite having 3 years previous experience, plus word processing/typing qualifications. My wildlife degrees put them off. Particularly my master's, I think, as it shows even more determination to follow that specific career path. Also, I don't understand how I can apply for those jobs now and come across as sincere about wanting them. It's clearly desperation!

Nasty. I managed to extricate a mate from one of those a few years ago by convincing his doctor he was on the verge of a mental breakdown. :reddevil:

I'll give you my doctors number once I've returned to Newcastle. You won't even have to lie! :insane:

• So are they getting you a work placement? Or do you have to go to some office. If you have to go to an office find yourself a voluntary placement and they should let you do that instead, it will be more worth while to you. When my ex was sent on a 13 week program he had two days of cv writing, and then was made to literally sit in a room with 20 other people from 9-5 everyday pretty much doing word searches and reading the newspaper. He wasn't allowed to leave and there was only one computer for them all to share to look for a job. It was ridiculous. If its a work placement it might be more beneficial, but if you find yourself a voluntary thing even if its working in an oxfam shop they should let you do that instead.. :)

• Nasty. I managed to extricate a mate from one of those a few years ago by convincing his doctor he was on the verge of a mental breakdown. :reddevil:

In all honesty that is how i get around everything at the job centre. Act like you might at some point soon loose the plot but you want to work and they have been nothing but really nice and supportive and helpful to me since :D

• In all honesty that is how i get around everything at the job centre. Act like you might at some point soon loose the plot but you want to work and they have been nothing but really nice and supportive and helpful to me since :D

Another mate of mine was getting serious grief off the job centre years ago, so on the day when he was due in to be interviewed, he went out to the animal rescue shelter where he did voluntary work. He put on a boiler suit and spent ten minutes rolling around in dog shit. Then he rocked up to the job centre and sat in his interview stinking like a sewer, rocking back and forth clenching his knees, giving the interviewer a deranged look. He was there for about 30 seconds before they sent him on his way. :D

• So are they getting you a work placement? Or do you have to go to some office. If you have to go to an office find yourself a voluntary placement and they should let you do that instead, it will be more worth while to you. When my ex was sent on a 13 week program he had two days of cv writing, and then was made to literally sit in a room with 20 other people from 9-5 everyday pretty much doing word searches and reading the newspaper. He wasn't allowed to leave and there was only one computer for them all to share to look for a job. It was ridiculous. If its a work placement it might be more beneficial, but if you find yourself a voluntary thing even if its working in an oxfam shop they should let you do that instead.. :)

I have office experience like you not as much but quite a bit none the less and I am having so much difficulty, and to my surprise I got one rejection letter saying that they didnt want be because I was a graduate and I would leave after 6 months of working there. Which is bullshit because it sounded like if I hadnt have put the degree down they would have employed me.

Part of me is regretting even doing a degree now :/ I should have worked (as I had a job before uni) to earn enough money to bugger off around the globe... I probably would have never returned knowing me.

Also even though its called a work program it seems that I jsut have to meet them once every two weeks to help and aid with my job search basically... thats what it sounds like on the front of it... but it could have some deeper sinister motive when I go on friday... who knows! :P

Exactly it is aimed for teens who have been chucked out of school with very little qualification and aimed at getting their CV written and their job interview skills up to scratch... when I was on the phone to the guy he was surprised I had a CV written, I mean really? -__-

• I was feeling pretty rubbish when I was put on the work program but it helped me to gain confidence in myself and apply for jobs. I got a job too after going to group things, which was a nightmare for me at first as I didn't even want to mix with other people at the time. That was over a year ago and I haven't signed on since. Can't say what it's like in all parts of the country but Hinckley wasn't too bad they held job club each week with plenty of computers and help and the group things were small and the same people each time all in the same position as each other.

Hope it goes well for the op:)

• when I was on the phone to the guy he was surprised I had a CV written, I mean really? -__-

Well, if you can't get a job, there must be something you're doing wrong..... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, words fail me. They need to start treating people as individuals.

• Well, if you can't get a job, there must be something you're doing wrong..... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, words fail me. They need to start treating people as individuals.

To be honest the world is going to the dogs, the last few jobs I applied for nearly 100 people applied for them, which is really depressing if you ask me :(

I am a uni graduate and I really dont know where I want to be in life.... well I do... but it isnt achievable until some $$$ come in :(

• To be honest the world is going to the dogs, the last few jobs I applied for nearly 100 people applied for them, which is really depressing if you ask me :(

I am a uni graduate and I really dont know where I want to be in life.... well I do... but it isnt achievable until some $$$ come in :(

Truth is, they've been pushing way too many people into the uni system. In the long term, there were never gonna be enough decent jobs to support that level of aspiration. Fine during a boom, but ultimately a scam leaving people with bags of debt that they'll never be earning enough to repay :(

• Truth is, they've been pushing way too many people into the uni system. In the long term, there were never gonna be enough decent jobs to support that level of aspiration. Fine during a boom, but ultimately a scam leaving people with bags of debt that they'll never be earning enough to repay :(

Aint that the truth. Unless youve put an end to boom and bust of course...oops!

• Truth is, they've been pushing way too many people into the uni system. In the long term, there were never gonna be enough decent jobs to support that level of aspiration. Fine during a boom, but ultimately a scam leaving people with bags of debt that they'll never be earning enough to repay :(

Yeah, I know a lot of people who got pushed into the system who shouldnt have been in there... but I dont know, I have never really had a long term goal, just stumbling from thing to thing and uni was another 'thing' to do...

I do keep saying to myself I want to get to canada sometime, but without a job that is impossible :(