web programing help...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• now i told my friend im not a web designer ... im a visual designer and still he tells his mum to come to me for a website. I'm honest with her and still she wants me to do it.

SO i just on the only program i have... a very out of date version of iweb. (it seems to have been downgraded from the verison ive used in that past too which is making it all the more difficult) version 1.1.2

Its basic... but i managed to create something. I uploaded the basic versionto her host and then now ive added a gallery ... however she wants a slide show. The version of iweb i have doesnt give me a slide show option.
    I did some basic html coding when i was younger so i get the concept of coding sooooo can anyone help me create a slideshow and insert it into the site?

I saw somewhere online a post about replacing the slideshow_assets file with another file but the link ge gave was very old and didnt work :(

Please help me.

and if your wondering why i didnt use wordpress... well i cant work the damn thing out. Ive made one online wordpress site and im not happy with it and i cant find where to download wordpress to my computer (ive been searching and searching i have a very old opporating system too mac osx 10.4.11).
    A friend recommended i get Adobe Muse but i dont know how to find it or if it will work with such a fuddy duddy old lap top.

any help would be greatfuly appreciated.
    Bless
    Fleassy

• You can download Wordpress from here:

http://wordpress.org/download/

In my opinion, one of the best themes for wordpress is called "weaver", I've made sites using this that have no trace of Wordpress left on them - they just look like any other site.

Some embedded gallery software I intend to try out at some point is this:

http://juicebox.net/

I haven't used it yet, but it's the HTML5 version of Simpleviewer, which I have used and know is good (although not compatible with IOS devices). I believe there is a plugin to embed it into wordpress easily.

• you think for now i could use it and embed it into the code for the one i designed on iweb? Just cos ive spent so much time on this already and I'd like to at least get a basic one up to go for her before i start trying to recreate a whole new site.

Also don't i need to pay for wordpress?

• you think for now i could use it and embed it into the code for the one i designed on iweb? Just cos ive spent so much time on this already and I'd like to at least get a basic one up to go for her before i start trying to recreate a whole new site.

I'd assume it can be - I don't know much about iWeb but I doubt it's any different from any other website package.

Also don't i need to pay for wordpress?

Not if you're self-hosting it.

• OH MY GOD WORDPRESS IS SPEAKING ALIEN TO ME!! jeeezus! if the install process is this difficult what the fuck is the program going to be like?!
    Ok im confused... i guess i expected to be downloading a program... instead i get a folder full of .php files. SO i read the install instructions online and its talking about conecting it up to my host... i dont want to connect to a host until i have designed the site because i currently HAVE a website up that i dont want to wipe/replace with something useless.

So ... I'm so frigging confused... this is all jargen to me... im such a noob at all this.. BUT I WANT TO UNDERSTAND!

• Downloading wordpress as a package is only useful if you have an account with a hosting company. I assumed from your above posts that you already had that?

If you do then you will need to create an SQL database (done in your webhost control panel).

Then, upload the wordpress files into the relevent directory and then go to yourdomain.com/wordpress folder/wp-admin/ and follow the installation prompts.

I always thought wordpress was one of the easiest installations going - although I guess you do need a slight understanding of web language and databases.

I can't help more than that without actually being there or doing it - and I simply haven't got the ability to make time at the mo.

• To be brutally honest mate, it sounds like you've bitten off way more than you can chew :S

Wordpress isn't something that you can use to design a site off-line. You install it on the remote server, and then connect it to a database. If you've never worked with databases before, I dunno how far you're gonna get :S

• Well thanks for that guys. Ummm so bitten off more than i can chew... i hope not... i like to think i can do anything if i apply myself to it and considering thousands of other people (many complete beginners) are doing this shit i dont see why i wouldnt be able to get my lips round it.

Paul .. my friend (who im doing this for) does have a hosting company site, i've already built this for her www.tranquilitycampgrounds.com using a very old version of iweb i had on my computer. However iweb is outdated and very limited (Especially my version) and theres things she wants to be able to do (eg put in a callender she can update as and when she needs to) that is just not available on iweb.... and frankly to be honest (and im sure you know this) iweb sucks balls for anything past a basic static page.

So anyway, i created that site for her... worked out how to sign into the greengeeks hosting site and upload each of the files into the relevent places in the file manager (because i couldn't seem to get an ftp program to work on my computer at the time) ... and it works.... its basic but it works.. now i want to be able to pimp it up a bit.

.... so i got my mouth round that much... and chewed and swallowed...

Now i understand (i think) that i can hook up my wordpress folders i've downloaded directly to the hosting site andthen something magic will happen that means i can start working with themes etc.. but i'm worried that when i connect this stuff here on my computer it will wipe off the existing site thats up there.. i want to keep that until i have something ready to replace it with... i find it hard to believe that this is not possible ...otherwise it seems like a huge flaw to me.

Dont worry Paul i understand your a buisy man, don't feel that you have to be the one to answer these questions... its an open forum you have just as much right to NOT reply as you do to replying.... im just hoping someone out there might have the time to share their wisdom with me, educate and empower. :) I'm hoping i can get my head round this so i can make myself a decent page too.

xx

• I set up Wordpress on my sites with no previous knowledge of databases (and before I found myself a web developer boyfriend).

You can upload Wordpress to a folder so that it doesn't override the site that is there and the sort it all out before you swap the site all over to Wordpress.

• If you are developing with wordpress and want to keep the development site separate from your production site, your best bet would be to look at installing a LAMP (MAMP if you are using a mac) server on your computer. This will give you the MySQL databases and PHP functionality that you will need to drive wordpress.

One that I use a lot and find quite useful is XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

• Well thanks for that guys. Ummm so bitten off more than i can chew... i hope not... i like to think i can do anything if i apply myself to it and considering thousands of other people (many complete beginners) are doing this shit i dont see why i wouldnt be able to get my lips round it.

Chill, Miss Defensive. :p You're under pressure to do it to another person's requirements, and you're globetrotting. That's not the best environment for learning something quite technical is all. ;)

• it was less defensive more.. personal motivational speaking haha :p

thanks for the MAMP tip, i've actually allready downloaded it and will give it a go when i get a moment xx