Summer Solstice at Stonehenge

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey folk, this year for the first time I'm going to head down to Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice. I've never been before but have always wanted to. I just want to enjoy a few days away in the country with likeminded people, vibe from the energy there, get away from townlife for a bit and watch the Sun rise gloriously over the horizon. I know that there are a lot of disrespectful people and people getting drunk and such and its not what it used to be, I'm expecting this, but I've always wanted to go. I'm going alone, and I know the solstice is not until the 20th but I was thinking of travelling down on the 18th. I was wondering though, would people be there by this point or would I be alone? Would the camp ground be open by this time and would many people be camping?

And on that note, is there place to camp for free by stonehenge? Is it an easy to find campsite? Is it open before/after the solstice?

Any info greatly appreciated, as I said I've never been before.

• Hey folk, this year for the first time I'm going to head down to Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice. I've never been before but have always wanted to. I just want to enjoy a few days away in the country with likeminded people, vibe from the energy there, get away from townlife for a bit and watch the Sun rise gloriously over the horizon. I know that there are a lot of disrespectful people (Yes but the police will be buzy this year with the olympics) and people getting drunk and such and its not what it used to be,(Your having a laugh ain't you? Drunk is what we do while waiting for something else to kick in) :D I'm expecting this, but I've always wanted to go. I'm going alone, and I know the solstice is not until the 20th but I was thinking of travelling down on the 18th. I was wondering though, would people be there by this point or would I be alone? (every two hours from early morning to evening there will be coach after coach of Asian tourists) Would the camp ground be open by this time and would many people be camping?

And on that note, is there place to camp for free by stonehenge? (Not since 1983) s it an easy to find campsite? Is it open before/after the solstice?

Any info greatly appreciated, as I said I've never been before.

With any luck this year the police will be that stretched that much with other commitments, It could turn into a great solstice at Stonehenge. Although the army may take control this year. Go see for yourself, have fun and be friendly.

• Thanks, I guess my main question is if I turn up on the 18th will there be people there? If so then thats cool.

Also, should I just turn up with a tent and figure out what to do for camping there (as someone suggested) or is there something I should organise beforehand?

• I'd be interested in hearing about your experience if you do get to go. My friend wanted to go for SS this year but sadly I think I'm at work and she rarely has money so doubt she'd afford it. But still, would be nice to organise another year. Let us know :)

• easy way of camping:
    take a sleeping bag, a goretex cover for the sleeping bag and a small groundsheet with two short poles. improv tent that will be ignored 90% of the time

i once slept on a village green in one of those, plenty comfy

• I'm intending to go this year, although the restrictions and hassle I've heard people get off the cops is putting me off a little. Plus I need to find a cost effective way to get there from the South Wales Valleys, I shall find a way.

• I went last year. Possibly again this year. Its good- not entirely what I expected as there was a large % of people who were there literally as tourists- lost count of the number of photos I posed for with randoms- and a very large contingent who were there just to get trashed, which was a shame.
    I dont know who said to take a tent to you, as far as I know no camping is allowed at the stones? I went back to my car for a couple of hours kip.

• Last time I went I had flashbacks
    Never been back since

That was the eighties good and bad times at the stones
    My eldest is 30 this year she was born on the solstice
    So we will celebrate with fire food and merriment

Have fun and stay safe

• Last time I went & not just drove past the stones, was seven years ago. I parked up in the carpark. Got out and bought a cup of soup from the cafe. Then jumped back in the luton and drove back the 200+ miles. It was so cold & windy there. But it was the millions of tourists with cameras, that put me off. 1982 was the last time I camped there for a long peace loving 3 x week festival.

• I went last year. Possibly again this year. Its good- not entirely what I expected as there was a large % of people who were there literally as tourists- lost count of the number of photos I posed for with randoms- and a very large contingent who were there just to get trashed, which was a shame.
    I dont know who said to take a tent to you, as far as I know no camping is allowed at the stones? I went back to my car for a couple of hours kip.

Not camping right at the stones, but I'm pretty sure there's a campsite somewhere near by? I'm certain that people camp somewhere nearby for the solstice.

• Not camping right at the stones, but I'm pretty sure there's a campsite somewhere near by? I'm certain that people camp somewhere nearby for the solstice.

I went a couple of summers ago, we had a tent in the next field over next to the car :)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; its about learning to dance in the rain.

• I think that if you show up and try to camp there in the days beforehand you're probably asking for hassle. Generally most people show up the night before and head home after the sun comes up. Last time I went, they tolerated the party but then began to purposefully clear the site before they opened for the fee-paying tourists. As Neonpixie and others have commented, it's a big tourist attraction. I've never been to Avebury for the solstice but I suspect Mobs is probably right and you'll find a better vibe there.

• I'm not aware of any free camping but the stonehenge campsite - inevitably www.stonehengecampsite.co.uk is nice.

I used to know a man who passed away at the age of 97 who, in the 1930s, went cycling round the west country when it was legal to camp anywhere. He and his friend put their tent up in the middle of the circle of stonehenge because there was open access then and slept the night there.

Even in his 90s he was really quite radical and had a great deal to say about the amount of unnecessary rules we have to live by now. My role model for old age! He played for a morris side and even in his late 90s still taught music and went to the pub at least twice a week. Recipe for a long life?

Isn't it amazing how much we've lost?

• Hey guys and girls, in my humble opinion I think Avebury is a lot more chilled and nicer vibe than stonehenge for the solstice, there also is free camping provided by the NT as well :)

• Herro! Haven't been to Stone Henge for the Solstice, but Avebury carries a very spiritual and intimate feel, it was the most enjoyable few days of the year for me when I went a couple of years back. I've booked time off work & will be heading there on Tuesday from the Reading area. Will find somewhere to set up camp which means waking on Wednesday to the longest day, then camping overnight to leave on Thursday. If anyone wants a lift from Reading are I'm happy to car-share as I have an Espace with plenty of space, but I may be going on from Avebury to find some remote beach on the South Coast on the Thursday to do some camping there & can't offer a lift back. Hopefully I'll have the company of my friend, but it depends how messy we get at Glade :)