advice on windysmithy stoves please

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i have windy smithy stove(the second stove in there range) installed in my caravan , finding i am doing most of my cooking and heating with this stove

wondered if any body has a few extra tips for useage

also heard you can buy some sort of oven that fits onto top plate, as i do a lot of oven cooked food in winter would be a help

also even with mine stopped down i have a job keeping any fire going over night , always burned out by morning , good for summer fecking freexzing for winter

also has anybody thought of a smoking box to smoke food via the up chimney

• Do you put any coal in before shutting down for the night? A tip if you want a slow fire burn is cut green wood (except ash) or drift wood when near a river. There must be enough heat left in the fire though, to dry out the wet wood and burn it. I can't say much about windy smithy stove., never having owned one.

Smoking food via your chimney? I would think that would result in cooking the food, as the heat isn't a requirement of smoking food.

• most of my wood isnt seasoned, but fresh, and smokes a lot etc

i though you couldnt use coal in wood burners, i thought about coal or charcoal, i know the japanese use charcoal for long slow burns in fires

re smoking i just if could utilise some or the smoke from the chimney but you correct apart form hot smoking , it probally wouldnt work

• I've had a variety of stoves in my time. Some multi-fuel. All of them have had coal burnt in them, either in winter or at night time. If you have a good bed of ash from the days burn. Coal just sits ontop of the ashes. Never bank your stove up with coal. If you are really worried about it burning through your stove. Make/modify some sort of grate to put inside the stove. This is usually a requirement of coal burning to get oxygen under the coal.

• Send a message to Julian the Gypsy - I bet he could knock you up a chimney smoker device.....

• We have been thinking of getting a windy smithy stove for our van. The van has a fibreglass roof so I have been a bit concerned about putting a chimney through it. Did you fit your own and was there any problems. Do you have any pics of it

• I've done loads of stoves in glass roofed vans. As Alice's says, you cut a big hole, then fit a steel plate over it and cut a hole in that for the flue. I seal the hole with a dektite flashing. I can't comment in windy's stoves because I haven't used one, why don't you drop him a line? How long is your flue stack is the obvious question, if its too short you may not be getting enough draw. I think windy's second stove is almost the same size as my standard stove, and as far as I know, the record for that one is about 18 hours, though it wouldn't be chucking out any useful heat at that, but anyway it should stay in all night. If you need more then as has been said, fit a grate to burn coal, I've done it in several of mine, particularly my tiny stove, which is too small to stay in past about six hours burning wood, though it is a good stove.

• winmdy smithy stoves are good and have a built in baffle system, they dont have any nice windows so you dont get nice light danciong around caravan.
    and not as pretty as julians organic designs, but inwas offered a used one with most of the piping for 150 pounds so couldnt say no really

i fitted mine my self after talking to a few others, used rock wool to insulate stove pipe going through caravan roof, i used single wall piping wanting to keep heat in cararavan and use excess heat to dry ashing etc, its a very effective stove with a very good draw etc.need a silocon seal round chimney and been looking at silcon cake moulds in a cheapshop, about 4 pounds and should make a good seal with a bit of work
    had my stove keeping me warm and cooking food f late when i ran out of heating gas , very effective, and steak tastes so good cooked on top

anybody heard of dutch ovens, a big cast iron pot with tight fitting lid to go on top of stoves seen one today about 40 quid to buy, as i cook a lot of oven food thought it might be a good buy, otherwise going to buy a big antique cast iron fish kettle to put on top

it would be really good to have local area meets where we could all bounce ideas off each other and look at how others handle certain jobs