Open University learning.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I started a Certificate of Accounting with the OU. It was all positive, from deciding which course to take, sorting out student finance to the support you get and monthly tutorials, they are so helpful. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish the course as i got too ill but i would definitely recommend the OU to anyone x

• I'm just finishing a degree in Social Science with the OU. It's been six years and difficult at times, but I've really enjoyed it. It means I've been able to work, move house and start a family all whilst studying at the same time. If you're able to manage your own time and have good self-discipline, then I'd recommend the OU. The tutors are generally pretty helpful and they run lots of tutorials, lectures, day schools, etc... (Although, I must say, I've never been to a single one) I can't wait to graduate this year!

• Most people I know who've studied with the OU have had really positive experiences, with excellent tutor support and a range of resources available to them. I think you need masses of self discipline and total support from your family and friends, but it's a really good option for people who cannot attend a conventional uni, but still want to study at HE level.

• I did dd304 - Understanding Cities, a 60 credit module, it was very very good for the on-line learning and the amount of resources available to help with assignments. I also had a regional tutor who would do optional tutorial sessions every month for people doing the module, in these sessions he would go over the Latest essay and we would make notes, he would then e-mail the notes out to everyone, so even those who were not in the tutorials could benefit. Whenever i had an issue all i had to do was e-mail the tutor and he would get back to me. I recommend OU study if you are a good independent learner and are able to work on your own from home to get assignments done. When you sign up part of the price includes all the core text books for your course and multimedia material, I remember getting a big box of books and thinking, wow. As soon as they send you your course materials it helps a lot to start with the preliminary reading, so when you get about to your first assignment, you won't have any issues, especially if you have not done OU study before. :waves:

• I've been looking into doing a post grad with the Open University for years. It doesn't look like work will give me the time off to do a full time course, so this could be a great option.

From what I have heard it's a good way of learning.

• They have some great free online learning resources too which you can start without being officially enrolled on any of the courses. It's good to have a look at them to get a sense of the OU's style and their excellent text books etc. My dad's done 3 degrees with the OU and loves it! He did a module in creative writing at the same time I was at uni studying it and his course materials were excellent.

• i am what youd call a mature student as i was 45 at the time and did a short taster openings course called understanding children. it was brilliant and i thoroughly enjoyed it. being only a short course it only took six months but i actually had withdrawal symptoms when i finished. Thinking of doing another but have a lot on at mo. I learnt a lot from the course as to relate to in life. The tutor was really helpful. Yes, you ned to be disciplined to study at home, but you have to be disciplined with any course surely. go for it.

• Just be aware that our marvellous government has decided to jack up the OU's fees in common with those for everywhere else, so cost benefits are greatly reduced. Make sure you check costs for the coming academic year before you start any detailed planning.

• Just be aware that our marvellous government has decided to jack up the OU's fees in common with those for everywhere else, so cost benefits are greatly reduced. Make sure you check costs for the coming academic year before you start any detailed planning.

Oh brilliant. Just to make sure that working oiks can never compete for jobs with decent rich people.

• Oh brilliant. Just to make sure that working oiks can never compete for jobs with decent rich people.

Well that and the NHS were two of the most successful creations of any Labour government.;)