outdoor bathroom

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• hi fellow hippies

i have been living in a caravan in some woods for the past 6 months, it has been wonderful despite some teething probs which i have now sorted.... but its the shower. Its such an epic waste of gas and water, works when it wants, the kids wont leave me alone when im in there thus soaking the rest of the van (its a small trailer type caravan) and its just doing my head in.... so i have decided to build an outdoor bathroom, consisting of a tin type bath/cast iron bath sat on, i dunno, a wooden pallete inside a bender.... but need some advice on how to heat the water. i was thinking a small woodburning stove (i can make one of them) but how to get the water to it to heat it?? has anyone here attempted this before? it means i can recycle the water afterwards instead of just flushing it outside all over my dry log store.... free bath and back scrub to any takers who can advise me on this!! you would have to come to kent tho... and wade through two foot of mud... negotiate the unhinged wild chicken....and dog ... and kids.... actually im not really making it sound that attractive a prospect now i come to think of it....

hail ye all!

Zee xxx

• 6 months in some woods - Very Well Done.
    I would have thought you'd get turfed out after as week.

If you had not been in a wood, I would have suggested black hose filled with water and then heated by the sun. Here is a video of what I mean. You can also use old radiators painted black.

I am not sure if this will work good for you because of the possible shade from the trees. Unless you have a clearing maybe?

Here is a vid for a hydraulic Ram pump just incase you have a river close by

Good for you - and well done again.

• stone the crows! they are excellent ideas.... thank you sooo much for taking the time to post these, shit that would have taken me ages to work out how to do.... the hose idea could work if we had a roof of some description to put it on... that is def worth considering. we dont have a river nearby, but the peeps next door have a rather murky lake... would still probably make me cleaner than i am now though!! and hark at them Florida peeps.. "oh its really cold here in Florida.." they dunno theyre born do they?!! well that little lot has given me something to think about...

thanks!

zee x

• An old recycled enameled bath (cast iron) from scrapy. Bank up two mounds of earth one at the foot of the bath (tap end) and one at the other. Leave a gap between the mounds in the middle of the bath, level with the ground. Blag a metal (fire)container the size of two biscuit tins long and about the same hight. Punch several holes in both (long sides) of the metal container. Old propane gas cylinder cut in half down its center (from top to bottom) works but you need to drill or burn or grind holes in side about 6inches down from cut edge, when laid down on the floor on its back. These are for ventilation (air for the fire to burn). Place each end of the bath on the earth banks. Tie a length of wire or chain to each end of the fire container. One length is used to pull the fire under the bath and the other to drag the fire from under the bath. Build a lattice out of pallet wood to lay on the inside botton of the bath ( keeps your skin from burning if the bath gets too hot. Fill your bath. light a fire in the metal fire container and drag it under the bath. Wait till the water is at a temperature you require and drag the fire container out and to the side of your bath. Enjoy. Remember. Missis first, then you and then the kids.

• Pretty much what alices wonderland said. I've a very basic shower in my truck, a cubicle with a tray. I have a shower head fed by a small 12v submersible pump. Under truck, I drop this pump into a 20 litre can. I put a large pasta/school dinner pot, about 12 litres I think, on the gas ring (filled with water first!), heat it up and pour it into the can, then mix in cold water till it's a good temperature. In the cubicle, I have an on/off valve, so the water isn't running while i'm soaping up etc. Sounds fiddly, but easy once done a few times. 20 litres is a very long shower, 15 litres seems about right, even 8-10 litres provides enough for a thorough clean-up, as long as i'm careful....I would think this sort of setup would work ok outside, a mate had a similar setup outside, one of them toilet tents would be pretty good, with a pallet on the bottom. Not sure about using it at -5C though!

• we used to have 2 solar shower bags, and either leave them inthe sun when the weather was nice enough, or jsut fill them with nice warm water when we were ready...tis a very slow shower tho!

oh, also used to have one of those 12v car showers and run it off an inverter? they do power through a lot of water but were more like a proper shower.

or go swimming and have fun with the kids AND all get clean at the same time
    :)

• Thankyou so much for all the advice peeps have put up here, it has been really helpful and will impact on what way we go with it. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I only have a phone and no broadband! Yes to the swimming idea, we can afford to go once a week but the kids and I get so minging with the outdoor living we do, it has to be more than once a week! Plus I like the idea of a relaxing bath as a treat... Why not?! Thanks so much again...Zee

we used to have 2 solar shower bags, and either leave them inthe sun when the weather was nice enough, or jsut fill them with nice warm water when we were ready...tis a very slow shower tho!oh, also used to have one of those 12v car showers and run it off an inverter? they do power through a lot of water but were more like a proper shower.or go swimming and have fun with the kids AND all get clean at the same time:)

• I was going to suggest the black water pipes, didn't occur to me that there wouldn't be much sun on the foest floor! haha :).

The underbath heater sounds grand, how will you manage the used water?

• I loved the under bath heater idea too! That's genius... The waste water can be used for so many things, washing up, clothes washing (saves going to launderette) I expect in the summer it can be used to water the veg and stuff, we can use it to water the animals.... Loads of options there.

I was going to suggest the black water pipes, didn't occur to me that there wouldn't be much sun on the foest floor! haha :). The underbath heater sounds grand, how will you manage the used water?

• Have just googles fatso masport and now I have stove envy! This solution is so easy and simple, I could build a bender and stick the bath in it. Make a little stove and put it inside, would keep me warm and heat the water. Getting rather exited!UOTE=alices wonderland;1138537]I have a tin bath. I heat the water ontop of my wood burner. A very large 4 gallon cast pan and a 2 gallon cast pan together at the same time. my stove is a fatso Masport. I have to add 3 gallons of cold to it to get straight in for a bath.[/QUOTE]

• When I was living on the road way back when lots of swimming baths had real baths and it was only 50p for a hot bath soap and towel used to have two a week and stand in a large bucket type thing the rest of the time
    Don't know if they still do it

• Plus I like the idea of a relaxing bath as a treat...

some friends of mine used to have a 'bush bath'... a proper size bath, i cant rememeber exactly what it was made from and voila!but it definitly wasnt a tin bath...anyway, it was raised up on bricks/slabs and they heated it with a fire underneath! put fire out obviously when its hot enough, one of those camping roll mats in the bottom so you didnt burn your arse, and voila! hot bath under the stars
    great
    :)

• When I was living on the road way back when lots of swimming baths had real baths and it was only 50p for a hot bath soap and towel used to have two a week and stand in a large bucket type thing the rest of the time
    Don't know if they still do it

The swimming pools local to me is £4.50 a shot!
    And the showers there are mostly luke warm.

£4.50 is a lot for swimming I think.

• I have short hair - no 4 comb. I can shave and shower with 4 L of warm water. Use a soapy sponge to wash over.In winter equal amounts of cold and boiling water heated in a kettle is about right. In the hot summer leaving soft drink bottles out in the sun does the trick and storing them in an insulated ice box until I am ready at night to have a shower works fine.

• some leisure centres will let you just use the shower, i've been allowed in at some for free, and some just a couple of quid ...
    worth it for a leisurely shower when your really minging :)

• some leisure centres will let you just use the shower, i've been allowed in at some for free, and some just a couple of quid ...
    worth it for a leisurely shower when your really minging :)