hmmm what job ?

• hey all,

im stuck in a dead end job which dosnt suit my outdoorsy relaxed nature. i just wanted to ask you opinions on what are good outdoor jobs ... now im looking my minds drawn a blank lol or you need a specific qualification and a few years at college to do it.
    i love nature i love being outdoors and feel very strongly about animal rights
    any inpout will be much appreciated

• i love nature i love being outdoors and feel very strongly about animal rights

Hello.... well I love nature conservation, and also animal welfare. I chose to follow a career in nature conservation because this gives the potential to work outdoors and is less distressing to think about on a daily basis (I'm very emotional!).

It depends on what kind of work you'd like to do. A warden on a nature reserve? Practical conservationist? Wildlife surveyor? Field teacher? Does it need to be entirely outdoors, or would you prefer a mixture of outdoor work and office work? Would you be prepared to work short-term contracts?, like a lot of the positions advertised.

These jobs are highly competitive at the moment and require a lot of experience, usually voluntary (to show your commitment), and usually at least a basic qualification such as a BSc. There may be shorter college courses you could take instead, however. I have a BSc, an MSc and around 6 months voluntary work experience, and have only just got my first paid position.

Try looking on www.environmentjob.co.uk and www.countryside-jobs.com to give you an idea of the types of jobs available and what qualifications/experience you'll need to apply.

I think I was about your age when I decided to go down that route. I was doing hospital laboratory work prior to that and hated being stuck indoors!

• ah thanks for the advise and links! yer unfortuatly my qualifications are more basic then that i have three level 2 qualifications one in maths one in english and one in door supervision (im a licanced "bouncer" but i work in genral security, its just a horrible world to work in, stuck in doors, 12 hr shifts no breaks, only see the horrible side of human nature, lots of racism and genral prejadice from other team members), and then i have a level 2 certifcate in food hygine... so nothing even really relivant there only really equiviland to A grade GCSE.
    if i was completly outdoors id be more happy but i could deal with sometimes indoors

• What sort of living situation are you in if you don't mind me asking?

For example, are you living with other people, own your own home, have children, able to move around easilly, able to go back into education if you chose, what type of job do you currently have?

• What sort of living situation are you in if you don't mind me asking?

For example, are you living with other people, own your own home, have children, able to move around easilly, able to go back into education if you chose, what type of job do you currently have?

well i live back with my perants at the moment, plus my gf is here 6 nights a week so we kinda live together lol no kids no real bills (other then a couple of finances i could easily pay off in the next couple of months if i put my money to it) im 23 so education isnt really a option for me i dont have enough money to go if i loose my job and i dont have the time to go if i keep my job so thats a catch 22 really .. i am a security officer i basicly secure a multi billion £ building at night or on day shift work in the reception desk deliver mail around the building and remove violent/ threatening or otherwise unwelcome people from the premisis..and monitor the CCTV's etc.
    previously i have been a little involved with greenpeace , assisted on farms (agrocultural not live stock appart from free range eggs from chickens and ducks in a situation where the chickens and ducks had run of the farm and left to have a life) and i have experince doing gardening and some landscaping but no formal qualifications to prove it.

• What is it you want to do? Work with animals? plants? building/labouring work? What sort of thing appeals? :)
    I think you'll probably have to either go back to college, or get an apprenticeship, no matter what you want to do.

• Ditto what Elfie says. A lot of the 'enjoyable' outdoor work to do with conservation, working with animals etc., is filled in with volunteers. So to get a job doing something like this you need qualifications/experience. Perhaps you could start volunteering sometimes, at least that would get you outside and doing stuff, and would count as experience too.
    But it depends what you want, what you mean by 'outdoors'. I'm an outdoor education instructor (ML trained), so this focuses on the 'leisure' side of the outdoors. If you don't want to go back to college/uni and are quite active there may be training you could do for this kind of thing near you. If you're hoping for a more 'saving the planet' type outdoor job (conservation, surveying, land management etc.) you will need a degree or apprenticeship. Or both. It's tough out there at the moment. Govt. went chopchopchop to defra.
    But whatever you end up doing, there will be inside bits and grim, boring, admin bits. Unless you're a beach lifeguard perhaps.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• thanks for your advise guys, tbh there isnt mush specific i have a lot of passions and love getting involved with most jobs that are outdoors , though im not to proud of it for a short while i was in the armed forces loved the survival/ bushcraft side of things and the humanitarian side of things i just got out of there dodge because of the crappy mannor of what it is... but i was desprate for cash at the time it was that or rent boy lol i have worked on farms, worked with plants, and activly taken a big interest in wildlife as well as helped out with green peace where i could im kind of a jack of all trades i like learning things and trying new things volenteering is hard because im working in security i do 12 hr shifts no breaks etc so im dead the rest of the time and if im active in my free time im dead at work and cant function lol i have taken on board everyones advice im gonna have a long think about things but i think the main thing is i am going to have to save up enough money to float without a job for a while eather its paying for college or working for free to get my foot in the door thanks all and still any new ideas are very welcome :) :hippy:

• What about altering your lifestyle to allow you more outside time. I have always run, climbed and love bushcraft ect, in the past I've been a climbing instructor, mountin leader ect, now i live in a bus and love the outdoor life it brings. Its a cheap way to live meaning you dont need to earn loads therefore leaving lots of time to do what you enjoy

• What about altering your lifestyle to allow you more outside time. I have always run, climbed and love bushcraft ect, in the past I've been a climbing instructor, mountin leader ect, now i live in a bus and love the outdoor life it brings. Its a cheap way to live meaning you dont need to earn loads therefore leaving lots of time to do what you enjoy

yer that could be a option i could get a more chilled job if the cost of living is less the main problem in my life is the job i do now lol its gotta go

• Save up. Save up. Save up. While you are doing this long hours job, and while you are living with your parents. Maybe if you are saving up for something important, you will feel better about your current job, because you will see the way forward :).

• Hi i have just had a change of job and love it. i have a city and guilds in saddlery not very relavent to any thing and have always done bar work or waitresing. I now milk cows its great realy nice envrioment to work in the cows are just great been doing it 3 months and getting to know there personalitys. I reackon you should just go find some thing and try it you may like it and if u dont try some thing else good luck

• Been having a think about this. Here are some thoughts if you're inerested :flower:.

Just going for it and trying things out is a very liberating idea:). (Akitio's suggestion above)

I reckon you should seriousely consider going back into education, but perhaps not yet, perhaps you should save up, experiment, but still consider further education later on :). If you entered 'further education' you would probably be entitled to a grant of £1500 for the year to help you, oh, actually... that might only be in Wales, shit. But if you did higher education you would be entitled to student loans and everything, so do consider this if you think of something you would like to do but the practicalities of time spend studying puts you off.

Have you thought about farm work like the cow milking? Have you considered work like gardening and tree surgery? There are licencies and stuff relating to using things like chainsaws and strimmer which may be helpful if you wanted to apply for jobs like that in the future. Sometimes short courses/fast track courses in tree surgery are free/funded, but usually only for unemployed people.

If you save up enough to take some time off work and travel, experiment, look for random jobs, or whatever, consider volunteering. There are likely to be charities and business you can do voluntary work for outdoors. An organisation like WWOOF might be good for you :) (google it). If you go travelling, I recomend in combination with whatever money you have saved up, making use of hitchhiking, staying with people you know, using couchsurfing (again google it and look at their website) and volunteering for people who may be able to offer you somewhere to stay (or even food while you stay there, very occasionally help with travel expenses).

In the summer, possibly next summer, or the one after that, you could try working some festivals. There is likely to be paid security work, but it is not likely you will have much time to enjoy the festies or be working with the nicest bunch of people, so I recomend you seriousely consider what would best suit you. There may be work setting up equipment (my instincts tell me this is a good option for youm but truly, I have never even met you(!) so...), as a security person or steward of some kind, litter picking, working with children's activites, working for shops or stalls. It might make you feel good just to be out in the sunshine seeing people enjoying life.

Have you consider going into some sort of work as an outdoor activites instructor? There are sometimes jobs in this type of work where you have to go to the activities center, do a load of training, get accomodation there, and when the season rolls around you then take groups of people, probably a lot of children (do you like children?) about the place doing activities, messing about and making them laugh, and also being responsible for their safety.
    I'll try to post a link to something like that, but not sure if the link will work http://jobseekers.direct.gov.u…885d89a&pid=3&j=CRY/79612

Have you considered being some sort of tour guide? Some types of tour guidey people walk people around places (only some are outdoors, depends on your location a lot I guess) of cultural or historical interest, and some even take groups on guided nature walks and stuff like that. I think for this as well you have to be patient with people and charming, entertaining or funny.

How about learning to do something with forestry. Or how about forest school things, that's activities again really.

How do you feel about construction work? I don't know about this but others do.

Or perhaps boat building? Some of this sort of work is outdoors, but not always.

There are likely to be opportunities available to volunteer for groups who are trying to build alternative or eco houses and stuff like that, does it appeal? (maybe not a full time career but something to get a new experience and some inspiration and meet some good people).

• Or possibly look up some tree surgeons who will take you on as a labourer then get you some outdoorsy tree qulifications as you work?

Through violence you may solve one problem, but you will sow the seeds for another...

• Post by Pr1nceofPersia ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.