I've never seen a ... (bird thread)

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Following on from the birdwatchers 2012 list thread... What bird have you always really wanted to see? I'm talking about out in the wild in its natural habitat, not in captivity... do you think you will ever get to see one??

For me, after seeing a golden eagle up on Skye many years ago, my one bird that i really really would love to see is a Puffin. I love them..always have done :) and as of yet have never managed to get to see one!! I will do one day though :)

• I saw a puffin in flight from a ferry once - it wasn't a very good view, but still pretty cute!

I would like to see a firecrest. It was my favourite bird in my Collins bird book when I was little, and I paraded it as evidence to my Brownies leader once when she said in front of everyone that there was no such thing (our group totally won that bird naming competition!!). :D

• Following on from the birdwatchers 2012 list thread... What bird have you always really wanted to see? I'm talking about out in the wild in its natural habitat, not in captivity... do you think you will ever get to see one??

For me, after seeing a golden eagle up on Skye many years ago, my one bird that i really really would love to see is a Puffin. I love them..always have done :) and as of yet have never managed to get to see one!! I will do one day though :)

I'd guess your nearest breeding puffins would be on Lundy in the Bristol Channel, though if you head a bit further up to Pembrokeshire, Skomer is a wonderful place for seabirds with lots of puffins.Year before last visited the Farnes which are amazing with the birds in touching distance- I'm hoping to return later this year.

I've seen all the British breeding birds but love to travel to watch birds + all sorts of fauna/flora but I've yet to see a wild penguin of any species, so probably that.

• My parents promised me to take me Lundy or Skomer and as yet we still not managed it hehe :) what's the best time of year to go Gomphus ? :) Penguins are so cool... i love to watch them at Bristol Zoo but it would be so awesome to see them in the wild - I hope you get to see one one day :)

The firecrest sounds like a beautiful bird (am going to google now) I also hope you get to see one Beachcomber :)

• I've seen all the British breeding birds but love to travel to watch birds + all sorts of fauna/flora but I've yet to see a wild penguin of any species, so probably that.

Wow, that must have taken some doing? Have you seen a corncrake (do they breed in the UK?), I'd love to see, or hear, one of them!

• The bird I've always wanted to see is a Capercaillie in full plumage..even if it does look a bit like a Turkey....and I agree with Puffins too.

• Skomer is excellent for puffins :D as is Skokholm. I prefer Skokholm because it's more island-y (imo) but Skomer's more accessible and when you go the puffins are wandering all over the footpath and you can get within a couple of feet of them :D

Night time on the islands is awesome for manx shearwaters and storm petrals (Skokholm and Skomer have about 75% of the breeding population of manx's over the summer). I remember sitting out one night while the warden played a recording of stormies and we had them flying in, nearly brushing our hair. :D :D

I don't think there's anything I particularly want to see - though it would've been to nice to see the Osprey's the last time I went to the Dyfi estuary instead of camera footage of an empty sky ;)

• Wow, that must have taken some doing? Have you seen a corncrake (do they breed in the UK?), I'd love to see, or hear, one of them!

Many years ago I had corncrakes calling all around me on Tiree, some seemed close but never got a glimpse. I've been to countries like Poland + Estonia + again heard then only, but I did see one on the Isles of Scilly which was obviously on it's migration.

There's a good population on some of the Hebridean islands where there are grants for the farmers to manage in a corncrake friendly manner which seems to be working. A few years back some birds were released in the Nene Washes as part of a re-introduction scheme. the first time this has been tried for a migratory species + appears to be having some success. Certainly not an easy bird to see!

• In the UK I would like to see: puffin, bittern, a perched kingfisher (they're always flying by, but think I saw one when I was very young), hawfinch, capercaillie, nightjar, crested tit, hoopoe, bee-eater, and various birds of prey and owls that I haven't seen yet.

Elsewhere: Lots! - budgerigar, cockatiel, toucan, macaws, resplendent quetzel, bee hummingbird, cock-of-the-rock!, victoria crowned pigeon, vultures, kea, kakapo, shoebill, albatross all of the birds of paradise.

Wish I had the chance to see moa, haast's eagle (although scary), dodo and great auk.

I'd love to see everything really :)

• Never seen a Merlin in the wild and would love to see one in flight although I've seen them in captivity. I've been visited the Hawk Concervancy in Andover all my life which has fueled my obsession with birds of prey. Also Goshawk and Snowy Owl.

• I've never seen a kingfisher, they are wonderful birds.

I used to know a vet nurse who had one home to care for (it had flown into a window), so I got a really good look at it. It was such a beautiful wee thing. They put it to sleep in the end :(.

• It's suddenly dawning on me how many birds I've actually seen :eek: :D

The first time I saw a kingfisher was on the rocky beach at Aberaeron in the middle of winter - confused the hell out of me because (personally) you don't expect to see a kingfisher among the rockpools :p (it was only after that I read they sometimes move downstream to the coast in the winter).

I would like to see a bower bird in the wild - will have to travel for that though ;) And I want to see a great bustard over here - the Great Bustard Group are bringing eggs over this year as part of the introduction rather than chicks. Exciting :D

• I love kingfishers....I was amazed how small they are..quite a few along this stretch of the Union,the blue is sooo metalic,lovely :) I would like to see an albino Rook or Raven.....

I live on a sound lil Narrowboat with me dog.pagan and happy in my skin,single and chilled

• It's suddenly dawning on me how many birds I've actually seen :eek: :D

The first time I saw a kingfisher was on the rocky beach at Aberaeron in the middle of winter - confused the hell out of me because (personally) you don't expect to see a kingfisher among the rockpools :p (it was only after that I read they sometimes move downstream to the coast in the winter).

I would like to see a bower bird in the wild - will have to travel for that though ;) And I want to see a great bustard over here - the Great Bustard Group are bringing eggs over this year as part of the introduction rather than chicks. Exciting :D

A few years ago I was at Slimbridge + was totally gobsmacked to see a great bustard flying along the Severn. Apparently before we arrived it had been infront of one of the hides. It was one of the reintroduced birds from Salisbury Plain.

Have had good luck seeing them in Spain + Hungary.Displaying little bustards make me laugh as they produce this sound like a noisy fart!:D

• And I want to see a great bustard over here - the Great Bustard Group are bringing eggs over this year as part of the introduction rather than chicks. Exciting :D

I saw them at Salisbury Plain last September. The RSPB took me there as a thank you/goodbye when I finished my internship. My friend from uni is the project officer there too. Got to see stone curlew that day too..... excellent day! :D

• I would love to see a yellow hammer again we used to have loads of them when i was a kid, i m sure they declined when the bracken was killed off make way for more lukecrative heather grouse friendly moors, the yellow hammer also we think fed on gourse, and we think possibly fed on fly s and insects on the bracken who knows we just don t see them anymore they used to come in big yellow swarms,

however my dad who had sheep on the moor was glad to see the bracken go a bit, it did choke a bit of life

but i think a balance was required.

Also would like to see little owls again my dad had loads pre foot and mouth and pre disposing off the farm, ie wherever a an animal was burried we had lots of little owls but i understand we cannot go back to burying like we used to

• I would like to see a puffin as well , I've seen a Hoopoe on Sailsbury plain but had to ask what it was .

• no, the Bustards are the ones who failed out on Salisbury plain cos they were unwell or antisocial. But if you're ever in the area, the conservancy is awesome. The vultures were stunning.