LDV pilot,fitting a stove.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Before I even think of buying another van I need to solve the stove problem.I need heat cos I really suffer if cold and I need a comfy bed cos I is a cat. So because I don't want to end up with a huge van that is too greedy on diesel and cannot afford the VW's which seem to hold their price I need to work out a layout that would work.
    My thoughts were that the stove needs to stand in an insulated open fronted hearth/enclosure and the bed needs to be safely away from it.I would put a fireguard accross the front of the stove enclosure as well.Other needs are a boot area for outdoor tat and gas bottle and a place to keep and use a 2 burner and grill camp stove.So I thought probably the bed needs to go across the back of the van with storage under accessed from the back doors and the stove behind a passenger seat.I don't need a fixed sink or anything fancy,just a bit of storage in the van for clothes etc.LED lights and a sound system and a skylight for ventilation and dumping exess heat.I will have to look at air inlet for the stove as well ,grill in the side door maybe?
    So thoughts and advice please,not planning to be full time live in allthough I have managed with less .
    Julian what sort of smallish stoves do you make?

• Hiya, I do make a really small stove, which has been fitted in some tiny vans. I wish I knew where to find the threads, there are plenty of pics on here somewhere, I shall have a hunt. If you can find the "the weekend we fixed up the bus" thread, it shows weecab's van being fitted out and has loads of piccies.

• http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/s…ekend+we+fixed+up+the+bus

Wow you make these?? What sort of size space are these good for heating? hopefully getting a 13 foot (ish) van soon and need a burner but struggling for space to put one!

Course I do, it's wot I do, innit! I've fitted one of these in a short wheelbase transit before now, it should heat a 13 foot van no problem. Make sure you have plenty of insulation though or you'll need it roaring on full bore in really cold weather. Insulation is at least as important as heating anyway, no sense burning wood to lose all the heat to atmosphere. :)

• Hi Julian,I remember the fix up thread and will look at it again. Will be in touch about a stove if I ever get this project sorted. This year is fix the boat year,some hull repairs to be done but if Sid the shed gives up the ghost then I know I
    can look at slightly bigger vans without having to buy a big monster truck!!
    Cheers madcat

• Amazing! could you tell me the dimensions of the one in the picture please? Also..how much would you charge for one like that? Cheers :)

That one is 7" wide by 11" deep and 16" high including the legs which are 6". A basic one is £150 and £25 for a grate if you want to burn coal as well. It comes in any colour you like as long as its available and has an ashpan too. It also has tabs with holes for screwing it to the floor as standard and it has a removable baffle for cleaning the flue, which as far as I know is unique and is definitely very useful. Drop me a pm or post here if you need any more info. :)

• It reminders me of a Ray Mears trip into the Canadian arctic where he has a wood burning portable heater, really small, that he used a ridge tent. It looked as though it was made from mild steel and was no bigger than a 12 inch cube!

• It reminders me of a Ray Mears trip into the Canadian arctic where he has a wood burning portable heater, really small, that he used a ridge tent. It looked as though it was made from mild steel and was no bigger than a 12 inch cube!

The tent one would be a bit lighter, you wouldn't want to lug one of mine across the wilderness, it's probably at least twice as thick steel, and the baffle plate alone weighs a kilo, but then it's made to be used day in-day out, not for fitting in a backpack once a year! Surprising how something so simple as a steel box to hold fire can end up being put together so many ways really. :D