Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Like lots of other people in this hideous recession, and following our move, I am looking for a job. I have been working for over 30 years, have a huge skills base ( having had 2 different career paths) and I went for an interview yesterday ( for a job I was really overqualified for) and one of the ladies who was interviewing me said "We are looking to have older people on our team".....:eek: Really? Cheeky or what? I only qualified for Saga 18 months ago....

I am now feeling a bit deflated and I am wondering if this is what I am going to encounter from now on.....

• Hang on....did they mean that as a positive statement? i.e. you're an 'older' person and that's what they're looking for or that they want someone older, and how old was the woman who said that?

• I don't know how old you are mama bee. Maybe they used the wrong word and meant "mature" or "wiser" or something similar. Just someone with a bit of life experience. When are employers allowed to decide what age group they want anyway?

• Hang on....did they mean that as a positive statement? i.e. you're an 'older' person and that's what they're looking for or that they want someone older, and how old was the woman who said that?

A lot younger than me ...probably in her late 20s. It didn't feel very positive at the time, possibly because no one has ever mentioned age or maturity in a job interview before. Most of the peeps who worked there seemed to be in the same age bracket as the interviewer...

• officially agism is not allowed by law,yeah right,just try getting a decent job over fifty.

Last year I was offered a job in Brighton (but couldn't get an affordable house) and no one mentioned how old I was...and yes by law you aren't supposed to ask. But I am beginning to worry that this is the shape of things to come. I have applied for 7 jobs so far today...we'll see.

• Mama bee, are you looking for "a job" or a job in a specific field? The reason I ask is, I work as a support worker. Organisations offering support are always looking for people of all ages, races etc etc because they like to have staff who are as diverse as the clients they support. Don't know if it's something you've thought of. The pay isn't great but it's very rewarding work.

• Am thinking about going into social housing which will just follow on from where I have been working and have already had a positive conversation with an potential employer this morning and have an interview in a couple of weeks.

• Sadly, when there is a big pool of workers to choose from, companies will often go for younger people. They consider that they are more likely to be flexible than older people (i.e. willing to move, work less conventional hours) and if they have less experience/qualifications they do not have to pay them as much.
    If they say as much though you can them into big trouble.
    Sounds like that woman was a bit tactless but it doesn't seem negative per se.
    Also if you're overqualified for a job it can make people feel intimidated. Esp. if they know you are more skilled than them!

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

The post was edited 1 time, last by elfqueenofrohan ().

• Sadly, when there is a big pool of workers to choose from, companies will often go for younger people. They consider that they are more likely to be flexible than older people (i.e. willing to move, work less conventional hours) and if they have less experience/qualifications they do not have to pay them as much.
    If they say as much though you can them into big trouble.
    Sounds like that woman was a bit tactless but it doesn't seem negative per se.
    Also if you're overqualified for a job it can make people feel intimidated. Esp. if they know you are more skilled than them!

My previous job included waking nights, unsociable hours, late nights and weekend shifts....how much more flexible could you get? But you are right about qualifications - I think I was probably working before the woman who interviewed me was born! When I told the guy at the job centre he was astounded.