What Now??....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Ive grown up around boats, all kinds, Ive seen quite a few, and at the risk of sounding rude... what is that massive wooden thing on the roof?
    looks like someone from ground force came put decking in. wheres the gazebo?
    ;-p

• For us, we just cant and didn't believe people (especially our own family) would be so hostile about our lifestyle choices, it is most shocking and disheartening I can tell you, it does (and no offence is meant by this in anyway) feel like we just got out of some kind of cattle market ("hurd") and my god is it liberating

I sympathise, but in all honesty, I've had exactly the same experience in reverse with hippies.

• so back on topic, i think, there is no cure for damp on a boat. apart from keeping a stove burning 24hours a day at high heat, even this wont make your cupboards dry. So i have a cupboard heater. just for the clothes. Brilliant. Its fairly low powered but marina mains is pretty much essential. I also run a dehumidifier every now and then to suck some water out of the air when my hydrowotsit tells me im up to 95% humidity.
    doesnt matter how long you live on a boat, in a van, in a flat, in a yurt, in anything, someone will always be surprised and think you would be better off living in or on something else.
    boaters usually have an easy time of it compared to caravanners. for some reason boats are more socially acceptable. theres thousands of people living afloat, and its even recognised in the natioanl census that people do just that.
    theres no way around family or friends that refuse to accept your choices, whatever they may be, but if you stick at something because its what you want to do, even if they dont understand, they get used to it eventually.

but even I had a funny conversation this week with a photographer i work with. on the phone, he called and asked how i was getting on in the gales. i said, slightly slanty and i was having to hold onto the laptop to stopit flying off the table. but apart from that, and leaping up in the middle of the night when something went bang, everything was totally fine. he commented, saying, oh but sometimes you must wish to be in a house again, when its bad weather like that. I bet you dont want to leave the office where its warm and dry.
    I had to repeat myself i dont know how many times saying, but my house is warm and dry, its my home. i love it and i dont wish to be anywhere else, just as when you are reclining on your sofa, you dont wish to be anywhere else.
    he said he didnt believe me and thought i must be tired of my life afloat but wasnt saying so! i laughed.

its the only response. laugh. its a daft misunderstanding between people with totally different tastes.
    So, ye Boaty Boat, whilst your family or friends may not be supportive of your choices, dont worry about it, they are your choices not theirs. they will come around to the idea once you've been afloat for a couple of seasons. all things in good time.
    AND, being afloat, you will meet like minded people for sure. you just need to wander the towpaths to see how boaters come together. sharing wood chopping tools and duties, helping eachother with engine or generator problems, vehicle sharing to do the shopping and so on. although, you may find if you live in a marina, you are sheltered a little from the towpath telegraph.

• :eek:
    decking, on top of a deck, thats the equivalent of a house having a nicely tiled roof then putting a thatch on top surely? I'll get my coat.
    :panic:

• Hmm well asthetics aside, I spent yonks telling my daughter to get off the roof, decking would have only encouraged her, and it also gets really slippy so won't be any safer than textured paint. Maybe you could get a table and chairs and a chiminea and a BBQ up there... But where would you put all your tat?

• She is a 60ft by 12ft wide beam narrow boat with a cruiser stern and semi trad lines

That's bloomin' massive! It's not a boat, it's a ship! I'd be absolutely made up to live on that.

When I first discussed the idea of living on a boat (long before I actually did) my boss at the time said, with genuine disgust "ergh, you can't go living on a boat. You'll be like a gypsy"

Well, now that I do live on a boat, I'm quite fond of my water gypsy life, and my water gypsy friends. There's more community afloat then I ever found in 25 years of being on land.

Next time somebody puts your lifestyle down, shrug your shoulders, and quietly pity them.