What Now??....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I got married this year and moved my whole family onto a barge, I have always been one for moving around quite a lot and have always been surrounded by people, this year I learned a very hard lesson about people....... People can be so awful and so horrid, and people who you thought were your closest friends turn out to be energy life sucking morons, (this may just be because my life has changed so drastically) but I find myself feeling so very lonely.......... All this drama happened, all the people I thought were good friends have buggered off, (apart from the friends who will always be) So in my head they either lied about who there were to get something from me, or I was just a stop in the road for them, in both situations they lied!!!... This upsets me greatly, I am who I am, why do people who for whatever reason need to hide a part of them selves lie to be friends with people who don't, and then end up hurting the "OK" people and then they don't give a shite?? LOL I have confused myself, anyway....... the point is... I really need someone to chat to and hang out with who live like I do and have the same things in common as me, It is so tough to talk to the people I know as I feel like I have to justify raising my kids on a barge or how I live my life, it is so tiring and so lonely trying to explain that I am not mad and that I am happy all the time, I think all you people who live Monday to Friday 9-5 in an over priced house that they don't own (or do but always have no money), are nuts!!!!! you people have live a crazy miserable life (I know not all people are unhappy living this way) and have the audacity to judge mine which is happy loving and I get up when I like earn more than you and have more, my life is enriched and healthy why do they keep making me feel crappy.......aaaaahhhhh need help people.................

• It's always the same when you step out of the herd box. Those inside put their necks above the lid and the spittle flies. Human nature at its worse - but your independence is human nature at its best. So take heart and be proud of your achievements.

• Yeah,things kinda "fall" into perspective when ya break free of the herd....over 3years on a boat now,wish I had done it years ago,as for friends? I have learnt to choose wisely

I live on a sound lil Narrowboat with me dog.pagan and happy in my skin,single and chilled

• Perhaps considering yourself separate from the lesser beings of "the herd" contributes towards people's animosity? :shrug:

I was halfway through a post saying the same thing when my phone died earlier!

• Perhaps considering yourself separate from the lesser beings of "the herd" contributes towards people's animosity? :shrug:

Lesser beings? I never mentioned animosity.....but hey! I don't know about you "dude" but don't really give a toss what people think of me,and furthermore.....I wish everyone a peacefull n fruitfull life! All I know is this,my life is good,and this lifestyle I have chosen to live is soooo much better than the housing estates I have lived in ;)

I live on a sound lil Narrowboat with me dog.pagan and happy in my skin,single and chilled

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mungo ().

• Lesser beings? I never mentioned animosity.....but hey! I don't know about you "dude" but don't really give a toss what people think of me,and furthermore.....I wish everyone a peacefull n fruitfull life! All I know is this,my life is good,and this lifestyle I have chosen to live is soooo much better than the housing estates I have lived in.....

I'm pretty sure Atomik wasn't aiming that post at you, it was the OP who seemed to come across as holier than thou because they lived on a boat

• Post by Mungo ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I'm pretty sure Atomik wasn't aiming that post at you, it was the OP who seemed to come across as holier than thou because they lived on a boat

Hey,its cool ;) I get it

• Calm down, many people know how shyte you are feeling at this moment, I certainly know, you can Email me and we can chat about all this shyte, I just want to tell you that you and the kids will have a good life, just calm down another year is looming (for the good)

• Lesser beings? I never mentioned animosity.....but hey! I don't know about you "dude" but don't really give a toss what people think of me,and furthermore.....I wish everyone a peacefull n fruitfull life! All I know is this,my life is good,and this lifestyle I have chosen to live is soooo much better than the housing estates I have lived in ;)

I'm pretty sure Atomik wasn't aiming that post at you, it was the OP who seemed to come across as holier than thou because they lived on a boat

Partially. But I was also speaking generally. It's not helpful to refer to people who have different lifestyles as "the herd" or any other similar term. I've met plenty of genuine individuals who live in houses, and I've met plenty of sheep-like morons who live on the road. And vice versa. It's not what you live in - it's who you are.

• I agree judge people for what they are. But it does get tiresome having to justify this lifestyle all the time. It can make you rather defensive.

I totally sympathise. But it works both ways. I've had to justify living in a house for years. I've lost count of the number of comments I've heard along the lines of "round walls are good, square walls are bad, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan". Or "sheeple live in houses, people live under the stars". Blah blah fuckety blah.

• Partially. But I was also speaking generally. It's not helpful to refer to people who have different lifestyles as "the herd" or any other similar term. I've met plenty of genuine individuals who live in houses, and I've met plenty of sheep-like morons who live on the road. And vice versa. It's not what you live in - it's who you are.

For us, we just cant and didn't believe people (especially our own family) would be so hostile about our lifestyle choices, it is most shocking and disheartening I can tell you, it does (and no offence is meant by this in anyway) feel like we just got out of some kind of cattle market ("hurd") and my god is it liberating, and i have to say the people who seem to have the biggest problems with it all are the ones who would like to change there life but are too afraid to........Bottom line tho is that it is very lonely out here outside the "hurd" and I hope we can make new friends who ultimately don't judge and actually like us for us :) x

• so, hi! :waves:
    tell us a bit more about your boat, where you moor etc. is it a barge? dutch? replica? how big? got any photos of it?
    i am always intereseted in discussing boats with people.
    :D

• I totally sympathise. But it works both ways. I've had to justify living in a house for years. I've lost count of the number of comments I've heard along the lines of "round walls are good, square walls are bad, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan". Or "sheeple live in houses, people live under the stars". Blah blah fuckety blah.

LOL, kinda like reverse situation (a little) never herd any of those b4, sheeple one made me chuckle, its just pants being made to feel like you have to justify "your way/my way" of life full stop, its the people who make us do this who are "The Hurd" (no offence intended (lol)), :) x

• so, hi! :waves:
    tell us a bit more about your boat, where you moor etc. is it a barge? dutch? replica? how big? got any photos of it?
    i am always intereseted in discussing boats with people.
    :D

She is a 60ft by 12ft wide beam narrow boat with a cruiser stern and semi trad lines, we had her built from the ground up on a v tight budget, she has a 70 hp beta marina engine and a wabasto heating system running off the engine and an inverter as big as a house (figgerativaly speaking), and I belive she is the only 3 bedroomed boat on the fossdyke/whitham waterways,

She is stunning and so much better than living on land (for us) but she has a fat wide ass and can be fun to steer in strong winds, coming along the Trent felt like waltzing the amount of times we span around lol, she is getting easyer to steer with time and confidence,

The boat company we went tho are not v good tho and we have a feeling within 2/3 years she might need fitting out again, but we were on a tight budget and we have learned with boats you really do get what you pay for, and never do anything unless its in righting signed sealed and delivered first, do you live aboard?? :))

• yes, we've been liveaboard for over 4 yrs on a 57'NB - widebeam wouldn't suit us as we have to use narrow locks to get onto the canals from the river.
    you will probably find loads of things you thought were built just right for you will need changing as you live on her - we had very solid ideas of how we thought our boat should be but found out as we were actually using the space that there were better ways to do things!
    how long have you been on board?

• yes, we've been liveaboard for over 4 yrs on a 57'NB - widebeam wouldn't suit us as we have to use narrow locks to get onto the canals from the river.
    you will probably find loads of things you thought were built just right for you will need changing as you live on her - we had very solid ideas of how we thought our boat should be but found out as we were actually using the space that there were better ways to do things!
    how long have you been on board?

about 3 months now, and wow why have we not done this years ago, shocked at how well suited to this life we are, even when it is freezing cold lol, first week we got her, nothing worked no heat or electric, my god it was cold, but now it is running better and we managed to work out how things work it is awesome, it was really bad of the company to deliver a boat with no instructions or no representative to show us how it all works, but we now have back up heaters one is wind powered one is solar powered and one gas heater and two electric ones so if the heating system breaks we will never be cold again lol what sort of teething problems did you guys have?? :)

• teething problems - dropped her in the water and drove off..........straight into another boat as we had no reverse gear.........flooded on day 1 as the water tank wasn't capped...........leaky flue pipe, leaky rear hatch (still is), leaking washing machine about 6 months after we fitted it.............opened a lock paddle too quick and sent the boat battering about in a wide lock - i don't recommend that at all, it's scary - just the usual stuff with electrics really :whistle:
    is that solar panels on the roof?
    and do you have a solid fuel stove?
    and how do you trust your kids up and down that ladder :panic:
    tis a big old boat you got there though!

• she it that, lol, gosh your post made me laugh, solar panel is on the heater, leave it outside it charges bring it in about 6 hours of heat we have had out of it, the boat company didnt put one in, when the boat finaly got to us it was 10pm at night we were stranderd in the marina with all our stuff in the car park im only glad it did not rain, we climbed on her while she was still on the lorry to put our stuff inside for the rest of the night and the first thing my husband said was "so wheres the log burner then?" when we finaly got the boat company on the phone they said it was not standered to have a log burner and we had not specified for one, we have to laugh at them because they treat us like we dont know what we are doing, but we had 3 years of planning and spoke to over 20 boat builders and they seem to be the only ones who dont fit log burners as standered...... I must admit I was worried about the kids and the steps down, (this was another boat company cockup) but they skip about all over her and seem fine, we have had a few heart stopping moments with my toddler who thinks he is a mountineering bungeejumping adrenaline junkie I am sure. He thought it would be fun to try and dive off the roof deaking head first, my husband caught him by the leg just it time, course all he did was laugh, and then he got stuck in the gas locker and we still have no idea how??? he has managed to climb up the side of the boat (the side that is moored to the pontoon thank god) and we found him on the roof, we have no idea how he does it, he is like lightning, he did nearly kill a duck with a whole loaf of stale bread which my Daughter gave him to hold while she did up her shoe lace, the vet said the duck had something similar to a bad concussion but would make a full recovery and be re released into the water in a few days, other than that the kids are fine lol, just re read that oh dear lol, its not as dramatic as it sounds, and my son is extreamly spirited, :) it suits Elle down to the ground she is loving every min of it, ( i think the novelty will wear off) I dont think she will ever live in a house tho, pardon the terrible punn but like a duck to water bless her, and with Oliver i think it is too early to say, he wont know any different i guess as he is just coming up to 2. How do you guys get tho the winter time?? we havnt had any cabin fever set in yet but she is a fair old size.. :)

• the bane of my life is damp - keeping warm isn't so much of a problem. and we've never had cabin fever.
    i would think seriously about a stairgate or something for the little one, we even have one for our dogs. you have to respect the water, and locks are so potentially dangerous - you really don't want littlies anywhere near em IMO, and that's after 4 yrs of it.
    i think you might benefit from a woodburner if you are relying on generating your own electricity though - all sorts of shit can go wrong, and if it goes at night and you have zero power and no light to try and fix it and your heating went with the power, well, it'll make you proper miserable. we have done more than half of our time aboard self-powered and i know how it feels when suddenly something goes pop, like the fuse in the inverter, or something comes adrift in the engine bay, or whatever, and *everything* goes!!

• Thank for the head up.. been thinking about the who stair gate idea since we got on her didn't quite realise how much of a monkey he would be, until march we are on shoreline so we have enough time to iron out any issues b4 going back onto just us, really want the log burner tho and thinking of building a cerasein tank for heating, still reading up on it, I know what you mean about the damp too got a good idea for next winter to reduce it, using these window dehumidifier things, mobile homes use them in NZ, got some friends out there who are gonna bring us some for nxt winter so ill let you know how i get on with them... also how did you fix your fuel leak, we have a weep on one of the seals but i cant seem to get to it???...

• very interested in your cure for damp.........
    we don't have a fuel leak we had a leak where we installed the flue pipe when we installed the burner, rain was getting in so we had to do some modifications on the roof to redirect the water away - tis ok now.
    go for it with the stairgate though, imagine how much you'd regret it if something happened and you hadn't had one?
    and at the risk of sounding like an old dear, just because you live aboard doesn't mean your kids don't need lifejackets. sorry but accidents can happen so so quickly and living aboard doesn't make any of us immune. :)

• shit i sound really like i'm lecturing and being condescending in that last post but i am only saying it because i can't bear the thought of accidents on the water :(