Any birdwatchers want to try this?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• do you mean list every one every time you see one, or just every species once? :P

Many birders do this. Basically you record each species they see in the wild each year, so you count each one once. Many also have a life list which are the birds they've seen altogether for the UK. Also some have garden, local patch, European + world lists. Some keep lists of other things such as mammals, reptiles, butterflies, dragonflies, orchids, etc.

I tend to do this as my RSPB diary always has a check list in it to tick off. usually out most of my spare time doing wildlife stuff so I'm up for it. I'm planning to be at one of my local sites in west London suburbs tomorrow if it's dry.

Many birders do this. Basically you record each species they see in the wild each year, so you count each one once. Many also have a life list which are the birds they've seen altogether for the UK. Also some have garden, local patch, European + world lists.

Well my Dad has always kept a year list so I thought I'd give it a go.

Which site are you visiting Gomphus?

• Well my Dad has always kept a year list so I thought I'd give it a go.

Which site are you visiting Gomphus?

Most likely Ruislip Woods NNR which includes the Lido which is about 5 miles from home; might also visit the country park at the bottom of the road. On a good day should see 40-50 species.

• I mean to do this every year and I started keeping a list for the Bird Atlas but never really kept it up (I always seem to
    see a lot of oystercatchers - guess I spend too much time at the beach :p ). Maybe 2012 is the year for it? :D

• 48 species locally including Buzzard, Fieldfares, Goldcrest + Redpolls. For people in other parts of the country flocks of Ring-necked Parakeets might seem strange but part of everyday life around here!

And in Brighton - I remember feeling very confused when I was about 10 seeing them in a tree when I went to the park :D

• Off to a slow start. Robin, Blackbird and Blue Tit so far and some gulls that were flying to high up to identify. Due to working nights I haven't really seen much daylight in the last couple of days.

• Are you including birds you hear? In some habitats (e.g. woodland) you hear a lot more than you see. I do a lot of birdwatching, but never make lists.

I haven't left the house yet this year (!). Out of my window I've seen/heard a mistle thrush, jackdaw, magpie, dunnock, blackbird, goldfinch, woodpigeon and blue tit.

• Are you including birds you hear? In some habitats (e.g. woodland) you hear a lot more than you see. I do a lot of birdwatching, but never make lists.

I haven't left the house yet this year (!). Out of my window I've seen/heard a mistle thrush, jackdaw, magpie, dunnock, blackbird, goldfinch, woodpigeon and blue tit.

I know most birders will count birds they hear unless it's a lifer. I always try + see a bird but some like Tawny Owl, Cetti's + Grasshopper Warblers can take some effort to see.

I added another 8 species in Richmond Park (total 66) with Grey Wagtail + Stonechat highlights.

• Forgot about this until about 4pm this evening - quick glance out of the kitchen window gave me blue tit, great tit, house sparrow, carrion crow, starling, collared dove and blackbird. Roll on April - I'll get to see the cuckoos again (not that I'm wishing my life away :p)

• I am no birdwatcher but there are lots of birds on the lake and surrounding countryside.
    Thing is I see the same ones all the time -heron, cormorant, geese, ducks, coots, swans, terns, and kites being most common, plus I hear cuckoos and woodpeckers later in the year. oh and don't forget the pheasants and the odd kingfisher :)
    I am crap at identifying birds or birdsong though.

• I am no birdwatcher but there are lots of birds on the lake and surrounding countryside.
    Thing is I see the same ones all the time -heron, cormorant, geese, ducks, coots, swans, terns, and kites being most common, plus I hear cuckoos and woodpeckers later in the year. oh and don't forget the pheasants and the odd kingfisher :)
    I am crap at identifying birds or birdsong though.

You certainly won't be seeing terns at the moment as they don't usually return until April.:)

• That's a generalisation, oi mean my post is a generalisation of what comes and goes here. the coots aren't about much at the moment either nor is the cormorant.But that's about the birds we are used to seeing in this little corner of the country :) at different times of the year as and when :)

Are you including birds you hear? In some habitats (e.g. woodland) you hear a lot more than you see. I do a lot of birdwatching, but never make lists.

Personally I'm only including ones I've actually seen as I've never been that good at linking the song to the bird. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more this year.

• Personally I'm only including ones I've actually seen as I've never been that good at linking the song to the bird. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more this year.

Now is a good time to start learning as there are only a relatively few residents singing. Near me the ones I'm hearing singing the most are Robins + Song Thrushes, but also Mistle Thrush, Wren + an occasional snatch from Dunnock + Goldcrest.

• seen mistle thrushe, fieldfare, buzzard, black bird, crow, raven, blue and great tits, house sparrow, robin, chaffinches, lesser wotsit woodpecker and chickens and call ducks so far. also wanting to learn more than the songs of a few.

• Now is a good time to start learning as there are only a relatively few residents singing. Near me the ones I'm hearing singing the most are Robins + Song Thrushes, but also Mistle Thrush, Wren + an occasional snatch from Dunnock + Goldcrest.

If I hadn't have heard the mistle thrush I would never have noticed it (or the redwing that was sat near it the first time!). I hear it all the time now and see it sitting in trees and on tv aerials. It must have a new territory around my area. It's song can't be mistaken though - depressed blackbird!

Before I learnt bird songs I had no idea there were so many species living around me.

• Right this completly probo off topic but i was working on a roof and in the garden there was robins and this great big robin like thing it had a really bright red breast like really red not orange y like a robins and a black cap ed head it was sort of like a blackbird size, what the hell was it? i am fascinated never seen anything like it before the labourer i work with spotted it but made so much row by the time i got my camera it had done one.

• Right this completly probo off topic but i was working on a roof and in the garden there was robins and this great big robin like thing it had a really bright red breast like really red not orange y like a robins and a black cap ed head it was sort of like a blackbird size, what the hell was it? i am fascinated never seen anything like it before the labourer i work with spotted it but made so much row by the time i got my camera it had done one.

Always difficult to be sure just from a description but a male Bullfinch has a bright reddish breast with a black cap- it's got a chunky build but is smaller than a blackbird.

• There was a nuthatch that used to come to the garden the last time I was on holiday in Shropshire - we don't get them up here so it was a total novelty!

I haven't started making a list yet, but the woodpecker was in my garden again yesterday morning for the second time, and on Friday I watched the barn owl hunting up and down the grassy verge next to the wood - during the day! I've never seen him in daylight before. :D

I'll need to start my list tomorrow. :)

• Mine currently stands at a disappointing 8. Robin, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Magpie, Malard, Mute Swan, Wood Pidgeon and Grey Wagtail. It's just to wet for anything to be out and about.