Living Somewhere!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm still trying to work this thing out. There has to be an alternative to climbing aboard the ridiculous property market in this country and still be able to own your own space!

The goal is a comfortable abode for under around £70,000 in total. Not crazy, not impossible.

So... Livaboard boat questions...
    Does anyone know if you need to pay a waterways license if your boat is on a closed body of water? i.e. a lake or pond?
    Do you need planning permission to 'park' a boat on water?

Bus/Timber house question...
    How difficult is it to change the use of land to get permission to live on a site?
    Is it easier to get planning permission for a structure that will not be lived in? i.e. a garage/workshop?

If anyone has any ideas i'd be interested to hear them!

• If its a private lake or pond,you just need the owners permission,but......if you are staying there,that is,if you are gonne stay in that spot,believe it or not,you may get some tosser from the council trying to grab council tax off you

I live on a sound lil Narrowboat with me dog.pagan and happy in my skin,single and chilled

• You'd think with around 70K there would be so many possibilities.... Doesn't seem so though..The system is entirely geared up to ensure to live 'inside the system'. Obstacles are put in place to prevent any escape....!

Similarly to you, I would like to live a simple alternative life, but in this country this is difficult to achieve.

• Yeah I totally get where you're coming from. It just seems there's no way to live outside of an overpriced bricks and mortar house without constantly having to fight your corner legally.

• it is extremely difficult.. but not impossible. alot of folk seem to be interested in climbing over that fence and legging it off into nomadsville and its not hard to understand why.. have you thought about buying up some woodland? a few acres wouldnt set you back too much. choose well, go for an out of the way plot which would be hard for anyone to see what you are up too.. then you could go for a yhurt (sorry poor spelling) or a bell tent, or a small caravan - some friends of ours have done this, they started off with a small caravan and have upgraded after a few yrs to a bigger one... putting it under a canvas tarp so its not visible from above.. there are a few possibilities. we have just moved into a caravan on some land, we arent supposed to be there but we are keeping our heads down and living as off grid as poss. composting loo, solar energy, we have a woodburner for heat and gas if we need to cook. all basic. am building an outdoor kitchen and bathroom under a canvas tarp out of crap that has been left behind. its a big change for us as we had the house and all the indoor trappings and i always smell of bonfires but we are loving it. i hope all here who want to change their living style find a way xxxxx good luck.

• This is killing me right now. The knowledge that I'll never own my own home; never be able to do the things I want with the place that I live is really crappy :( I want to create a proper family home for my children, not gonna happen in rented houses. Urgh, I hate this country sometimes :(

• I'm still trying to work this thing out. There has to be an alternative to climbing aboard the ridiculous property market in this country and still be able to own your own space!
    The goal is a comfortable abode for under around £70,000 in total. Not crazy, not impossible.
    If anyone has any ideas i'd be interested to hear them!

Sadly, that's the reason there are so many of us that have opted to quit England and move to somewhere where buying cheap property IS still a possibility. We did have a house out in the sticks in the UK - but I would have had to try and keep working till aged 75 to pay off the mortgage. That plus 5 hours commuting a day to my place of work. After 6 years of 4:30am starts, then getting back home at 19:00, I was exhausted, so looked at all of the options available.
    We opted to come and check out the poorest and most rural part of France, as back in 2003 the prices had risen a lot from 5 years previous, but were still manageable. Luckily we were able to raise enough cash from selling the UK property to buy our house in France outright. It didn't even need a lot of work - mostly cosmetic (and yet to be completed!). Yes, we still need to have an income, so I had to work on the markets as an artistic artisan, but with a frugal lifestyle and long hot summers, we got through.
    I know that for you younger people, who maybe don't have any available capital, commercial life skills or more than one language under your belts, that would probably not be an option - but you wouldn't believe just how many young Brit families have taken the plunge and live out here. It's probably the same for Spain and Portugal, too. BUT..... with the latest financial downturns, there are also many casualties. Those who didn't check that they had the skills to do up, perhaps a property in a poor state of repair, or who thought that they would get by with not speaking the language, as well as those that thought they could climb onto the social support system having never contributed to it, are at the top of that list. Others, however are flourishing - property & garden maintenance, geriatric care (we have a large ageing population locally), computer nerds who can work from where-ever, for example.
    I know that it wouldn't suit everyone, especially those with close UK family ties - but certainly for me, I know that as long as I live carefully, I am off the treadmill, and can enjoy the rest of my life in relative freedom.

Just my 2-penneth worth.....

• I know how you feel..... so I and my family risked everything sold everything we owned begged and borrowed and we now live aboard a boat well a barge with our two kids and we save £1000 a month on bills and have never been happier, we had her (our Boat) built from scratch it was over £100000 cheeper than buying a house, and the best bit is we never have to pack for a British holiday ever again, our house comes with us, keep your chin up and never give up hope, (also the ability to think outside the box helps too) xx

• Its such a frustrating, fucking country that we live in, hey?
    Born to work and join the Rat Race.
    And those that choose to opt for a different way of life are almost stopped in their tracks for trying to do so.
    Just gives me the urge even more to try and do so..

• I gotta admit tho,on the other end of the spectrum there are people like me who live on tired old ex rental boats which are brought with a shitty 20 odd grand loan,and some cash what took an eon to save. Boat life is alright,its an "illusion" of escapement,ya still gotta pay thru the nose for licence,moorings n spares....ya still have a strange "them and us" feeling against the slightly well off weekend boaters,who chug past at Warp 9,and have ya shouting at em thru the window! (In reality,its their contributions to british waterways what oil the cogs)......I digress!...It is a good life,but its not freedom by a long shot..OH,one more thing....do you know what BOAT stands for? "Bung On Another Thousand".......

I live on a sound lil Narrowboat with me dog.pagan and happy in my skin,single and chilled