My niece was in a nativity play today: 'Angels in White instead of Men In Black'...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Apparently the story went like this: the Angels In White (aside from their black ties & shades of course) are sent to Bethlehem to make perfect the setting for Christs birth...Mary gets a phonecall from the Powers That Be to stop making it so perfect or people will get suspiscious, so the angels make it 'messy' again, and tell the audience 'you'll never know we were here', "flashy thing" them and disappear!

So...Christ was brought to Earth by Aliens, or was one? I like this theory...and I have a religious studies degree! ;)
    Anyone else?

(no offense intended to anyone, of course!) :D

xx

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; its about learning to dance in the rain.

• LOL! 'A Spaceman Came Travelling' really frightened me as a child!

Yes, possibly even less far-fetched ;)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; its about learning to dance in the rain.

• I agree, its nice for them to do something a little different. both my older children came home convinced that jesus and god was exactly how it is. They both we're in traditional nativity plays.
    I find it very offensive that mainstream schools force christianity into such tiny kids heads.

• But the nativity is part of a christian festival?

My son actually went to a Church of England primary school as the education there was much better than the other local school. Christianity was obviously pretty hot on the agenda! I wouldn't say it was offensive, I just made sure that I educated my son in other religions so that he was aware. For many years he believed in an old man, dressed in a nighty sitting on a cloud, as did I at his age ;) but now he's as disillusioned with religion as he is with politics.......

Personally I don't feel being taught christianity at a young age is such a bad thing as long as they're not being preached to........brimstone and fire type thing that scares the shit out of them. The stories are enjoyable and teach them morals. The libraries are full of childrens books on other religions too so you can have fun exploring them with them to give them a fuller picture.

And Happyflower I think it's great to have a different nativity. I was a dancing girl in my first nativity!! Bikini and everything........the PC brigade would've had a fit if they were around way back then :D

• A dancing girl, thats ace! :) I was a narrator in my church one, and a sunbeam in my CoE school one :)

DaisyDreamer I totally agree - the important thing to take from teaching kids about christianity is the moral aspect, rather than 'this is the only way because school says its true' idea :)

• We did the story of Babushka one year in school and I got to play the main part - I was awesome, obviously. ;) Little old Russian lady, looking for the Christ child for all eternity and leaving a present with each sleeping child she finds 'just in case', completely plausible :p :D