Veggie Christmas Dinner- Help Please?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This Christmas will be my first as a vegetarian, and I have no idea what to cook for it. I am nut intolerant, so nut roast isn't really an option! I was just wondering what sort of thing other people have? I'm going home to my parents' house for Christmas day, and I don't think my mum will want me cluttering up her kitchen cooking veggie grub when she's trying to do a turkey, so something that is pretty simple to prepare would be good! I saw something in Holland and Barrett alongside the nut roasts, it was called 'Granose Meat-Free Chicken Style Roast Mix', has anyone tried that? My mother is in favour of getting me a 'Tesco meat-free chicken roast' because I think it would be easier for her to just shove it in the oven, but again I haven't really got a clue what that would taste like. I'd welcome any advice or ideas please! :)[h=1][/h]

• I have eaten the Granose Meat-Free Chicken Style roast mix, and it's pretty tasty, but it is quite soft to chew. The Quorn Family Roast (I think that's what it's called) which from memory is about £3-29 at Sainsbury's, while gently flavoured, is much more "meaty" to chew, and just takes about 55 min in the oven as it is, with no preparation, with 5 min to cool before carving. It's what we'll be having for Christmas, and when mixed with roast potatoes, gravy etc. etc. I don't think you'll notice much difference. Good luck! :)

• You could make a mushroom wellington at home and take it with you, then your Mum could put it on your plate instead of turkey and you could have all those lovely veg and roasties with it :)

• You could make a mushroom wellington at home and take it with you, then your Mum could put it on your plate instead of turkey and you could have all those lovely veg and roasties with it :)

Is there a recipe for that in the veggie recipe section? I haven't eaten meat for almost twelve months now and have learnt quite a few recipes, but I just don't think there will be time for me to make anything at my mother's. I'm there for the week, so I couldn't prepare anything at home beforehand, and the atmosphere is always so manic at their house I don't think I can face making anything while I'm there, I'm just hoping to get through Christmas as quietly as possible, without causing extra stress for people!

I'll definitely consider the toad in the hole option Atomik, thanks :)

• Quorn fillets are nice. Pan fry them off with some onion for a couple of minutes each side, then chuck in the oven with the onion and add herbs. Cover with foil to keep in the moisture.

• I've had the Quorn Roast a couple of times. It was a while back but I think it was ok. It was quite big too with lots left over, which was good for the following days when my family were having turkey sandwiches etc.... I could join in! Maybe you could cook it the day before so you're not battling for the oven on Christmas day??

I have no freakin' idea what I'm having this year!

• i know there are loadss of yummy and fancy options available but if it were me, to keep it simple and quick i would opt for either my fave veggie sausages and veggie gravy (bisto do a nice caremelised onion granules) and have all the yorkies, roasts, veg, stuffing etc.
    or go for quorn stuffed roast, again with a veggie gravy and all the trimmings, maybe quorn roast and veggie snorks - well it is christmas dinner after all - and both can be oven cooked on a separate roasting tray.

• My brothers a veggie,and it amazes me how nice spag bog tastes with Quorn mince,the texture of the mince,in my opinion,is much nicer than meat. Never had a veggie "meatloaf" but I think I could quite easily get into a diet supplemented with the humane option.

I live on a sound lil Narrowboat with me dog.pagan and happy in my skin,single and chilled

• I think Mum's cooking me the quorn roast this year. From memory it's stuffed with stuffing which tastes nice and again I can only manage about half of it on Christmas day and have the left overs after.

• I was going to suggest vegetarian haggis but realised it's got nuts in :(

I'm doing a mushroom and chestnut wellington but you easily do it without nuts in :)

Ahem. :whistle:

I'm there for the week, so I couldn't prepare anything at home beforehand, and the atmosphere is always so manic at their house I don't think I can face making anything while I'm there

• i had an early christmas dinner at the weekend with linda mccartney pies :)
    i made veggie pigs in blankets last yr too, yum

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting