my new house!!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• you need to be on face book and one of my friends due to my settings

Darn, okay thanks for letting me know. ukHippy is about as sociable as I get on the web - I don't do social networks like FB, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn etc.

Cheers anyway.
    Regards, Box.

• Darn, okay thanks for letting me know. ukHippy is about as sociable as I get on the web - I don't do social networks like FB, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn etc. Cheers anyway.Regards, Box.

Send me your email address and i will send you some pics of the inside

• had a look on your facebook pics jay and i must say i'm very impressed! looks like your doing a really good thorough job to trundle, i just hope i make as good a job as you have! and i love the big comfy chair!! :thumbup:

• Cheers tony :-) a good chair is a must! Best advice i can give is think lots then think some more before building anything. And dont but corners on the insulation even if it means waiting till you got the money. And most of all enjoy the build :)

• yeah thats what i've been doing so far, just looking round, thinking, imagining, and a fair bit of daydreaming too! i think i am going to measure up all the inside and draw up a floorplan today, and hope fully make a start on removing the main partition.
    i think i will go the kingspan route with the insulation, i'm a bit worried about fibreglass getting damp and settling too much, at least with kingspan i won't have that problem. going to price it up today too.

• Tony, have a look on the internet for insultation board because we got a load of builders off cuts really cheap late year. They were all the same size must that have come off a huge job somewhere. We weren't bothered that it meant a bit more work filling the spaces cos it was a fair saving. Sorry I can't give you an idea of the website, neither of us can remember.

• thanks for that xray, i've found some offcuts on ebay fairly cheap, but they're in somerset!! but i'll keep looking and see what turns up! hopefully can reduce costs that way!
    got a good deal with a caravan yesterday, fair modern one wi everything in, swapped it for an engine i had lying around, so didn't cost me owt really. has big fridge, hot water, cassette toilet, big oven and hob, everything i need really! really chuffed it turned up!

• Tony, have a look on the internet for insultation board because we got a load of builders off cuts really cheap late year. They were all the same size must that have come off a huge job somewhere. We weren't bothered that it meant a bit more work filling the spaces cos it was a fair saving. Sorry I can't give you an idea of the website, neither of us can remember.

look i'm sorry and realise this was most likely a typo rather than a spelling mistake but it just made me spit tea on the monitor at work laughing!!!

as you were, serious thread in progress.

• look i'm sorry and realise this was most likely a typo rather than a spelling mistake but it just made me spit tea on the monitor at work laughing!!!

as you were, serious thread in progress.

ha ha groove street , i hadn't noticed that when i replied!! no doubt there'll be a bit of 'insultation' going on during my build! :D

• Hi Tony,
    Not used my van as a live in,but i used insulation i once got from a builder,just looked on screwfix website,..looks like they have the same stuff..
    Check out: Airtec double insulation..its like a strong polythene bubble wrap,with a silver foil exterior,its easy to cut with scissors,only about 5 mm thick,but gives the same insulation as 55mm thick polystyrene.At the moment it seems to be "reduced" at 1.5 x 25 metre roll costs £107..or 1 x 25 metre roll for £77..

After cutting to shape, i stuck mine to the sides of the van with spray on carpet adhesive..a bit spayed on the van..and a bit sprayed on the insulation..it then stuck together fine:panic:..i then used thin plywood to board over it..Its another option worth thinking about

• Airtec is excellent stuff. Used it when I converted the attic to a bedroom.

Filled in between the rafters with Kingspan (though in a van I would use the stuff made from recycled plastic) then fitted the Airtec across the rafters, taping up the joins with the metal tape stuff. If you use a hairdryer in the room it is warm after 5 mins... Worth every penny, uses sod all space and gives excellent insulation.

• just need to remove the kitchen and seating area now, but will probably wait until i've got the new kitchen in, which is going near the back, along with the shower room, at the rear of the steel divider, which i'm keeping in to give a bit of rigidity to the box. it works out to be just in the right place where i was putting my wall to the shower room, so i'm now going to make the kitchen area a bit seperated to the sitting area seperated by an arch and possibly a sliding door arrangement so i can keep the heat in the sitting/sleeping area on cold nights.
    i'm just struggling finding some reasonably priced insulation! but i'm sure it will turn up eventually!!
    loving working on the box though! (still no name for her!)

• and i think this is the easy part the 'dismantling' whats already there! the hard work (but most rewarding) is yet to come when i start rebuilding the interior!

• Wow, makes our new home look like a flat comparedo yours,LOL.Good luck with the conversion.Will post pics of our newbie when we get back to Spain with her next week.Can't wait to get stuck in.Don't think I am going to sleep until we fly Friday, soooooooo excited, better than crimbo!