Scottish independence - would it be good for England?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Would Independence for Scotland be good for England? 9

1. Good (0) 0%
    2. Bad (5) 56%
    3. Not sure (3) 33%
    4. Don't care (1) 11%

Alex Salmond is really pushing the question of a referendum for Scottish independence these days...or being pushed to push for it...and my question is would it be good for England - not for the UK or Wales or Northern Ireland but just for England.

My initial thoughts are mixed - for one thing it might bring an end to the vexing West Lothian Question that allows Scots MPs to vote on purely English matters.

It will mean that - as a nation - Scotland would have to stand on its own feet financially and not rely on money from the taxpayers south of the border ... buy on the other hand they would get to keep oil revenues obtained from their part of the North Sea.

I'm really not sure how the people of Scotland would vote on this and whether it would be a good thing if they did have their independence followed by Wales and Northern Ireland...leading to the eventual demise of the United Kingdom...any one have any thoughts?

• the euro has shown what you get if you have a single currency without political or fiscal union.. quite happy for the scots to do anything they want... as long as they dont expect to keep sterling as a currency.

• I very much support Anti-patriotism and Anti-nationalism. I love the multiculturalism here in Derby which has something like 182 nationalities and 72 languages. Defining something creates separatism and combined with the current fragility throughout the whole world I personally think we should be promoting unity rather than dividing even further.

These are just my personal views and think everyone is entitled to their own opinion:whistle:

• To answer the question (rather than all the other questions it raises!)..... no. It would reduce our cultural diversity, it would diminish our influence in the world, it would potentially create greater momentum towards a further breakup of the union, it would leave England stuck with a permanent Tory government, and it would probably lead to a small exodus of intellectual and artistic talent. England would be left as a post-Imperial rump.

Alex Salmond is really pushing the question of a referendum for Scottish independence these days...or being pushed to push for it...and my question is would it be good for England - not for the UK or Wales or Northern Ireland but just for England.

It depends on what you believe is good for England. From my point of view it will be bad for working English people because there is a possibility of more Tory majorities.

My initial thoughts are mixed - for one thing it might bring an end to the vexing West Lothian Question that allows Scots MPs to vote on purely English matters.

It won't really because you'll still have Welsh and Northern Irish MP's voting on English only issues.

It will mean that - as a nation - Scotland would have to stand on its own feet financially and not rely on money from the taxpayers south of the border ... buy on the other hand they would get to keep oil revenues obtained from their part of the North Sea.

We don't rely on English taxpayers. More money is raised in Scotland and sent to London than is spent in Scotland it self. Scotland would likely be financially stronger after independence than we currently are under Union. Money shouldn't be the deciding factor though. Independence will give the opportunity to build a fairer more equal society in Scotland than is possible as a part of the UK.

I'm really not sure how the people of Scotland would vote on this and whether it would be a good thing if they did have their independence followed by Wales and Northern Ireland...leading to the eventual demise of the United Kingdom...any one have any thoughts?

I think if there is an honest, open debate then the Scots will vote for independence. I know the Unionists parties in Scotland and as Douglas Alexander said it is their job to engender fear in the Scottish electorate of independence. That said the debate seems to be moving on and there doesn't seem to be any strong argument at all that we would be worse off if independent and the Unionists can't seem to find any positive reasons to make the Union appealing to Scottish voters.

As for the other countries in the Union. I think it's their right to decide their own future and is none of my business.

• Interesting, I don't agree people would vote for it, we already have had a referendum in the 90's at the same time as we elected the Scottish government, it was an out and out NO and I would say that still stands, I don't know another Scot that thinks its a good idea. It would be a huge step backwards for everyone, Scotland would not survive, we DON'T have the revenue from oil, Maggie put paid to that, we have no military, health care, industry (fishing/ship yards,steel works ect, again, cheers Maggie!)As for not having English taxes to depend on, yes, you Dad :pp, Scots pay taxes too!! thats not to mention England would loose revenue from us, tourist and whisky bring in a big pile of dosh to this kingdom.
    That aside i think it is culturally a disaster and short sighted to think that Scotland would unite with independence, we can't unite as a race, never mind a governing one.

Interesting, I don't agree people would vote for it, we already have had a referendum in the 90's at the same time as we elected the Scottish government, it was an out and out NO and I would say that still stands, I don't know another Scot that thinks its a good idea. It would be a huge step backwards for everyone, Scotland would not survive, we DON'T have the revenue from oil, Maggie put paid to that, we have no military, health care, industry (fishing/ship yards,steel works ect, again, cheers Maggie!

)

Even if you don't know any other Scot who wants independence support for independence is growing with recent polls showing a a majority of Scots supporting going it alone. (who can tell with polls however) We didn't have a referendum on independence in the 90's it was on devolution and we voted resoundingly yes. There is no doubt Scotland would survive on it's own. We are reasonably wealthy, oil rich nation that has been in economic surplus in the last few years even while the UK it self runs a deficit. Even the Tories are starting to admit this fact. Of course we have health care, we have NHS Scotland which is devolved while industry is growing faster in Scotland than the rest of the UK. We will continue to have revenue from the oil but we could use it to the benefit for Scotland, the UK as a whole has benefited from it for a long time now. Scotland has an opportunity to look to other it's neighbour Norway, a small, oil rich, social democratic nation and take inspiration to try and build a fairer society here. We're stronger running things for ourselves than being run by a government the nation was united in voting against. With regard to military Scotland has been a part of the UK and so has a share of things like the military. A disproportionate amount of the UK military is from Scottish servicemen so it wont be a case of we're left with nothing. We are currently balancing our books without receiving all revenue raised in Scotland so there is no doubt we would survive financially if we were to be in receipt of all the funds raised here.

That aside i think it is culturally a disaster, its time to unite and not fight. :hippy:

Independence would hopefully lead to less animosity between Scotland and England. Scotland would be able to take responsibility for it self which is the way things should be. From the point of view of someone in Scotland what is the point of being united when it means we get Tory governments we don't want and who have a negative impact on our lives. There's nothing to be gained in being British anymore. The country is moving further to the right and it doesn't have to be like that in Scotland. The whole political debate up here is between two centre left parties and that is very different from the UK.

• Sorry, I don't agree with you.

It was a yes no vote, yes for devolution, no for independence, I was there.

No it was Yes for Devolution and Yes for tax raising powers. There hasn't ever been a referendum on independence. If you look into it you'll find that was the way it was.

• interestingly, tho slightly aside.. i know a guy who grew up in aberdeen, not scottish by blood, but he studied scottish gaelic and german at uni with the hope of becoming a translator for the EU (you need 3 languages to do this). They told him gaelic didn't count and to bugger off. so he went and lived in norway for 5 years. now he's been offered a job in brussels, translating stuff into gaelic. :) changing times :P

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Scottish oil is in decline though. It's not really viable to depend on it for a large portion of GDP in the future.

There's a lot of oil and revenue still to come and there is the possibility of more oil off the West coast around Lewis but I agree with you we can't rely on it forever and we need to plan for when we don't have it. I think it's crucial that the oil revenue is used wisely for the future. They were talking yesterday about how they could use the budget surplus we have each year for an oil fund and this would grow through interest like Norway has done. Oil aside we need to be looking to the future yes but I think we are stronger doing that ourselves.