Ouija Boards

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Has anyone here ever used one - if so, what were the results?

If not, would you?

What about all the alleged dangers? Has anyone got any real life experiences with people becoming "possessed" or getting sectioned as a result of dabbling with one? (by this I do not mean stuff they heard from a 'friend of a friend' or read about in a book)

• Has anyone here ever used one

Yes.

- if so, what were the results?

Unsatisfactory and not what I'd hoped. After attaching the legs, I reached the conclusion that despite the novelty factor, it just wasn't big enough to make a decent coffee table.

What about all the alleged dangers?

It did get knocked over once, and a cup of coffee went flying. Fortunately I was able to dive out of the way and avoid a scalding.

• Me and some mates used a board that one of us has brought into school, it came out with bizarre messages like "The president is going to be killed by the man in the van" and "Simon likes ham". Also apparently people in the afterlife are all on first name terms...

But then it did also say I'd have a redheaded girlfriend, but it got the date wrong by about 10 years :D

• I had a couple of experiences back in my young days one of them pretty scary....

We used the old pieces of paper with letters of the alphabet, numbers 0 to 9 and Yes and No written on them all formed into a circle on a table top.

The first couple of goes were pretty innocuous - I was going out with a girl called Sheila at the time and one of the messages came up for 'Jim and Sheila to look out for the man at the window'...only we knew that some guy watched us from his bedroom window every night I dropped her off.

Then we had one to say we'd all be on a moor and there'd be a white cat sitting on a post and it was the ghost of Lancelot...we were supposed to go up to it and say 'King Arthur forgives you'

Then the last before we stopped we were going to this friends house on Cookham Moor and what should be there but a white cat on a post so I said the 'King Arthur' bit to it...it just looked at me like I was weird and sloped off into the night but the seance around the home-made board got really intense.
    We were doing the usual finger on the glass bit when it suddenly went mad going around the board but not spelling anything just acting berserk. One guy went into a trance and one of the girls had total hysterics so in the end we decided to pack it in and burn all the letters...weirdly, whilst the rest burned merrily, the piece of paper with the word No on it just kept leaping out of the flames.....we never did it again!

• I did it with a school friend on a day that was meant to be for study leave from school for our GCSE's. We thought we had been on it about an hour and felt tired so quit, looked at the clock and realised almost 9 hours had flown by and our parents were worried about us. We got into a lengthy conversation with "someone" and casually agreed that he could jump inside our bodies until we could come back and talk to him tomorrow (yeh it was kinda creepy but we didn't want it to end all the same). It was really freaky because both our pupils were really dilated and weird looking, but that could be something to do with fear thinking back. We were a bit skeptical to be honest thinking that we were subconsciously moving across the board but whatever we were talking to managed to flip a coin off a shelf on the other side of the room. My friend got really scared after thinking on it overnight though and we never got to do it again, although i was really up for it. She totally freaked out about it and started ripping the board up (we had made it ourselves on a piece of card) and burning it. She was fine a few days later though.

• When I was a kid I used them a few times, they made us all paranoid that we were being watched by things,I guess then it was just an excuse to freak each other out, I think if they are used properly you get accurate messages.

• I'm too much of a loner to have had the opportunity to have used one, you need one than one person right?

I do remember in primary school (age 10 or 11) at one of the indoor wet weather playtimes one of the older teaches caught some kids trying to set up a ouija board and went mental, she said they were really dangerous, if she caught anyone else trying to do one they'd be suspended, etc, which naturally made everyone go "wow they must work and be really scary, let's have a go".

• Me and my mates used them a lot! My mum swears that we brought spirits into our house..all the family(except me) had some kind of odd experience in the house...
    Youngest sister used to talk to the flower seller that sat on the edge of her bed on a night, my mum had someone get into bed with her(dad was working away), my other sister wont even speak about her experience.
    My dad bonfired my board.:(
    and we moved house.
    I wont have one in the house now..not ever.

• My dad and his brother and some of their mates did it once when they were teenagers. It spelled out his brother's name (Stephen). He killed himself not long afterwards.

• I’m heavily fascinated by Ouija Boards and anything of supernatural origin. And have often pondered whether the power of the Ouija Board is somehow connected to the Jinn:
    http://www.islamawareness.net/Jinn/world.html

Apparently the Jinn are even credited with building King Solomon’s temple. It also goes along way to explaining why some people receive truthful answers and other people receive mischievous messages. It seems some Jinn are of a helpful friendly disposition and some mischievous.

I realise the concept of Jinn might be a tad too farfetched for some people to comprehend. But I have studied Islam in-depth not from a religious point of view. Instead as an interested onlooker fascinated and intrigued by some of the practises carried out in adherence to their faith.

Muslims believe the Kaaba exists simultaneously in both the astral world and the earthy plane at the same time
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba

The Hajji round the Kaaba is carried out anti-clockwise:

"......The second fact is related to the anticlockwise movement of the circumambulation around the Noble Kaaba, fact that is of far-reaching significance: all movement in the universe, from the galaxy to the atom, is anticlockwise. The electron rotates around itself, then around the nucleus of the atom anticlockwise; the ovule journeying through the fallopian tube to find its way to the uterus moves anticlockwise; the earth turns around the sun anticlockwise; the moon turns around the earth anticlockwise; all planets and stars of the solar system rotate round the Milky Way galaxy anticlockwise. Thus, the anticlockwise movement is universal, and circling around the Kaaba is as it were like being caught in this cosmic `dance' whereby pilgrims achieve perfect osmosis with themselves, the world and the cosmos at large.

This cosmic dimension of Tawaf is further highlighted by an authentic hadith of the prophet's which states that there is another Kaaba in heaven just above the actual one and that 70.000 new angels circle around it every day and every minute. With all this, one feels as though one was a note in a majestic symphony being performed not only by human beings and celestial bodies but also by angels in heaven!...."

Please read the above again as even the ovule journeying through the fallopian tube travels anti-clockwise to find its way to the uterus!

I appreciate I have deviated slightly from the original subject. But I included the above information to try and corroborate or provide some credence to the existence of Jinn. And if nothing else I think you’ll agree it certainly makes interesting reading:D

• all movement in the universe, from the galaxy to the atom, is anticlockwise. The electron rotates around itself, then around the nucleus of the atom anticlockwise; the ovule journeying through the fallopian tube to find its way to the uterus moves anticlockwise; the earth turns around the sun anticlockwise; the moon turns around the earth anticlockwise; all planets and stars of the solar system rotate round the Milky Way galaxy anticlockwise. Thus, the anticlockwise movement is universal

Not necessarily. For a movement to be considered anti-clockwise you need a reference point. The direction of the Earth depends on where you're viewing if from and what you consider "up" - and it's the same with electrons; You flip an atom over and the electron will be moving in the opposite direction - I also *think* if there are two electrons in a 'shell' they will move in opposite directions to each other. Even so, the "rotation" of an electron isn't really a proper orbit anyway - the old "Newtonian" idea of perfect orbiting spheres has pretty much been superseded by quantum theory, and the true movement of an electron is more unpredictable than just spinning.

• And there I was thinking that the Ouija Board was just a Victorian board game :p

I've never had a go myself - never had any particular interest (although I vaguely remember my mum and stepdad telling me about times they used one in their teens and scaring themselves) but I find other people's stories interesting :)

I'm curious though as to why the bloke who invented it called it a Yes-Yes board, if it's got 'yes' and 'no' on it, why isn't it a Yes-No board? (Maybe something for me to google :D )

• Not necessarily. For a movement to be considered anti-clockwise you need a reference point. The direction of the Earth depends on where you're viewing if from and what you consider "up" - and it's the same with electrons; You flip an atom over and the electron will be moving in the opposite direction - I also *think* if there are two electrons in a 'shell' they will move in opposite directions to each other. Even so, the "rotation" of an electron isn't really a proper orbit anyway - the old "Newtonian" idea of perfect orbiting spheres has pretty much been superseded by quantum theory, and the true movement of an electron is more unpredictable than just spinning.

I appreciate what you’re saying Paul. But every concept is open to conjecture of some form or other. Because every time science thinks it has finally figured something out, another onion skin layer peels away to reveal a completely different paradox!

My personal research indicates even Freemasonry is ultimately connected to Islam!

I suppose the thread is starting to go slightly off tenet here so to avoid further confusing. I merely stated the Ouija Board could have some connection with the Jinn.

• I was always far to frightened as a teenager to join in when friends did it. They only did it twice and were too freaked out to try again. Then a couple of years ago a saw a documentary which included something on ouija boards and I discovered it was a really popular victorian board game played by everyone. So, if asked I'd play

• A group of friends and I dabbled with one when we were about 16 (1977-ish). It was in a friend's Dad's shed at the bottom of the garden. We had some interesting answers to some silly questions, then the glass just went round and round, faster and faster and flew off the board. We were all petrified and vowed not to do it again. Shortly afterwards one of the friends was killed on his brand new moped and the lad whose Dad owned the shed died a couple of years later. The house and garden have since been flattened and re-developed. All coincidence, no doubt, but it has stayed with me!

• I have always believed in 'things from other planes' so when a teenager, me and three other friends decided to make one and use it, we went up to the loft room and tried it, worked kind of, second night we got spooked so agreed not to continue. My friend got called into the headteachers office just a couple of days later and we found out upon her sudden absence that her dad had killed himself. In that same room. So suffice to say we smashed the glass, we just assumed that was appropriate. And I've never done anything like it since,
    It did transpire not too long after his death that he suffered from manic depression and obviously had been suffering a very down point. All very sad.
    but am still wildly fascinated by it all.
    If my teenage daughter asked, I'd say it was probably for the best to steer clear! lol

• I have never used one..but friends of mine did and after some time they had a lot of strange sounds in their house so that was the end of the Ouija Board..

• the barriers between this world and the spirit world can often be thinner than we think, at certain times spirits are able to reach out and touch us in many ways.

When we are teenagers a lot of things are changing in our bodies and minds and perhaps souls too, its a formaltive time, so maybe thats when playing with the ouija board isnt a good idea.
    Playing when drunk or under drug influances again not a good idea, if your of strong enough a amind dont think the ouija board is anything to be afraid of, i have used one several times with no ill effects,and bought and sold many boards

I prefer to dream travel to meet spirits and other souls on a one to one basis

• I sell 'em, (no surprise there) but have no problem telling my customers who buy them that I think they are a load of bollocks, funny thing is it never puts them of buying them, ahhhh, the power of the ouija board.

• Ive used one a couple of times with my sister, very strange. I still dont know whatg to think of it, some of it made sense and was basically a obituary of some random people. The second time we done it, it appeared to be messages from my grandfather. Now this isnt the kind of thing I think my sister would take the piss with but im still doubtfull till something totally bizzare happens.
    Just now id put it down to sub concious motor movments or something.
    One thing i find strange is people who say weird stuff happens in the house after words. My mum always told me she would kill me if i used one in the house, she hasnt reported anything strange happeneing...but if i told her i had used it in the house no doubt this would be difforent. The power of the mind man, more powerfull than we can even start to imagine.

Would i do it again? Yes.

• We had a few experiments with them at school using the same method as Stardusts dad.Nobody got frightened or had any wierd experiences.We just lost interest after a while.
    OH thinks they are a very bad idea after experiencing the damaging effect it can have.One ship he was on had problems with a susceptible young crew member becoming suicidal and it turned out this was due to some messing about with an ouija board.Things went back to normal after the board had been chucked overboard but it was a nasty episode. Oh and the other engineers were not involved in it.

• Ive had a play round with a Ouija Board , {yrs ago} I would like to think that im middle of the road in my opinion about them .

But theres certainly something going on with them .Theres a lot of energy iether supplied by the peeps using it ,or the Board ?

Ive used a Board about 3 times , lots of energy from the Glass etc , spelling out letters and numbers etc etc etc ,{sometimes nonesense}

As we all in life have a few Skeletons in the Cupboard and things peeps dont know about ,i was on a board one nite ,{3 of us } and a 4th person taking notes of messages ,

The message wread just one word "Sorry" and kept repeating the same word when asked different questions , but then someone asked who the message "Sorry " was for {as we were all thinking it wasnt making sense }

The board then spelt out my name !

We then asked who it was sending the message, it spelt out the word "Mother"

This was a bit confusing to everyone in the room as they new my Mother as still alive and had actualy met her ,and to them this wasnt making sense .

Little did they know {my friends} that i was actualy brought up in an Orphanage as a kid , {something that ive never spoken about }my birth Mother who i never knew ,or my Brothers or Sisters , i dont know them iether .

But it was quite an experiance .