Cholesterol-low diets

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hm, where to start with this?

Ok, this isn't to do with any health issues I've been having. It could be, but for now it's not.

My dad's been in and out of the doctor's, hospital, all that jazz having tests to do with his cholesterol. It turns out that some gland in his neck is messed up and not producing something? And his chol. count is sky-high. They can sort it out with tablets, but it will also involve dietary changes. My mum was telling me about the conversation the Dr had with them...

"So what sort of food will I be restricted to?"
    "Well...just think of all the food that you enjoy eating - the sort of food you like?"
    "Yeah...?"
    "You'll have to stop eating all of that."
    "Bugger. "

Now, personally I don't believe it for a second. Part of the reason is because I'm an agumentative cranky bastard :D but there's also a world of alternatives out there. I've already done a bit of research and found some vegetarian bacon substitutes have no cholesterol in them whatsoever.

So, being good at looking things up on the internet but useless at cooking, I'm wondering whether anyone has any advice on this. Any particular sources for low cholesterol recipes, any articles I should read.

I guess I'll update this on Saturday when we feed him a vegetarian bacon sandwich without telling him to see if he notices. :D

• I'm supposed to be on a low fat diet due to having a clogged artery in my leg. It's the same thing, whatever you like is banned, but actually it doesn't have to be that bad. Grill bacon instead of frying it, in fact grill everything. Use low fat salad cream or mayo etc, you won't notice the difference. Grate cheese for things like cheese salad sandwiches, you'll use half the cheese without noticing, so instant low fat sarnie. Sardines in brine instead of oil. Same taste no oil. There are loads of other ways to cheat the system without living on raw carrots, especially for people with imagination. Good luck and hope he gets sorted.

• I shall watch this thread with interest as I've just had my cholesterol done as part of my annual check - it was 5.9 before going onto statins so it'll be interesting to see if it drops.

What Julian says regards grilling and also try to vary the diet as much as possible to stop it getting boring because that's when 'full English' cravings set in.

Trouble with sardines in brine is that it pokes up your salt intake...I eat the ones in olive oil these days.

• There are foods which are especially good for reducing cholestrol such as oat bran - a bowl of porridge every day is yum and healthy!

• I shall watch this thread with interest as I've just had my cholesterol done as part of my annual check - it was 5.9 before going onto statins so it'll be interesting to see if it drops.

What Julian says regards grilling and also try to vary the diet as much as possible to stop it getting boring because that's when 'full English' cravings set in.

Trouble with sardines in brine is that it pokes up your salt intake...I eat the ones in olive oil these days.

My blood pressure is fine, so I don't worry about salt too much, and my chloresterol was at 3.5 last time they tested, which is really low for a normal person I believe, but essential if have limescale in yer pipes. Olive oil is well recommended though, and we have a tin of olive oil aerosol stuff for frying things. Baked spuds are great, except I always want to plaster them with butter. Olive oil spread works just as well though, if still not actually good for you in great quantities. The one that hurts is shrimps. No fat at all but apparently send your chloresterol skywards. Occasional treat then...