Eco/Sustainable Place to live in England/Wales??

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Where is Eco/Sustainable? 8

1. Totnes (4) 50%
    2. Brighton (2) 25%
    3. Stroud (0) 0%
    4. Scarborough (0) 0%
    5. Norwich (1) 13%
    6. Hebden Bridge (1) 13%
    7. Other...please suggest (1) 13%

Over 180 days ago I asked this question and am now back asking for more help (see http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/showthread.php?48309-Hi-all!-Where-s-good-to-live-in-UK-!&highlight=where+to+live)

I'm still wondering where is alternative - with a view to creative/sustainable/ethical/hippy/decent health shops/funky places. A place where I can be comfy in being myself. Also somewhere with some hills/trees and flowing water. (And somewhere that gay people are welcome helps too lol - however I can research this elsewhere)

Please keep suggestions coming in...I'm needing to get my sales pitch ready to persude the missus!

Thanks heaps guys :hippy:

:rolleyes: ***Ignore Poll**** Ignore this and add your places with reasons - Cheers :rolleyes:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tanjarine: wanted to delete the Poll. ().

• i have to say after living here on and off for 7 years cornwall seems to have more of its fair share of open minded eco friendly folk - the rub comes from being so isolated and the cost of living being higher whilst wages being lower...

• Thanks! Yeah I feel that Cornwall will sadly be too far from places - pro's and cons of this of course. Have considered Wales...and possibly still considering it. Where abouts?

• Yeah we've been to Mach before and went to CAT again recently, however just drove through Mach. I'm wondering if there's anywhere that I've yet to read about in Yorkshire, that maybe cool. If it was up to just me it will be Dorset/Devon area, however the in-laws are in east yorkshire.

Thanks lots of taking the time and thought to add your posts :)

• Stuoolong - Yep...hebden bridge is a good one - expensive and maybe overcrowded? definitely worth adding into the pot and perhaps checking properties again, as it's a cool place.

Atomik - it may be to rent then buy, or just buy...budget hmmm say around £180k. howcome you ask this - do you know of somewhere lol

• No, but I've got a good idea about prices in various parts of the country. I've been looking around with similar ideas ;)

£180k won't stretch far in most places. However, you can pick up some bargains in various parts of Wales at that price. Frankly, if you head into the sticks a bit, £180k will fetch you a High St. shop or a pub. :)

• Arh i see Atomik - cool!! It depends on the size of place that we want and also, as you say, how far in/out of a central place. Know anything about Scarborough? It seems to have some eco tendencies...and has the ocean for surfing,beaches, harbour etc which I'm attracted to. I'm looking for somewhere rural however with a bit of life and buses lol. So, Atomik where are you looking to move to/what is your criteria?

Thanks lolmoron...what goes on in Liverpool then??!

• Arh i see Atomik - cool!! It depends on the size of place that we want and also, as you say, how far in/out of a central place. Know anything about Scarborough?

Nope. Nothing, sorry!

It seems to have some eco tendencies...and has the ocean for surfing,beaches, harbour etc which I'm attracted to. I'm looking for somewhere rural however with a bit of life and buses lol.

St Ives ;)

So, Atomik where are you looking to move to/what is your criteria?

Very similar to your own, really. I just need to find somewhere semi-rural, preferably with an alternative community, and somewhere where I can generate an income!

what goes on in Liverpool then??!

Crime ;)

• bristol has lots of hippy types if thats what your after, i guess anywhere can be sustainable if you make it be tho. devon is good, i live in devon :D

• Devon and Dorset are ace places...for sure. It is becoming more obvious that we need to live near to East Yorks where family are.

@ Atomik...Hmmm...check out Scarborough or Bridport (they are my fav spots I feel). lol - come to Lincolnshire and let's change it together :hippy:

• Liverpool,s great, most of my friends are laid back people. certainly all of them help each other if required. We,ve got miles of beautifull coast.The Wirral penninsula, about 15min drive(approx) is gorgeous. Going across on the Mersey ferry is nice, more countryside than you can shake a stick at. The city really bounces at night, very multi cultured.Great architecture, great shops. I personaly like to sit out in the garden sometimes, put a few sticks in the log-burner (converted gas bottle) and have a brew while star gazing. Give us a try, you,ll love it. No I don,t work for the tourist board etc. Best wishes lolmoran.:thumbup:

• Hey there Lolmoran (firstly my appols for spelling your name differently before)...Thanks for setting the scene over there and sharing the Liverpool vibes with us :D. It certainly sounds good. I shall consider checking it out...so a big thank you.

Enjoy chilling by the burner and having a brew under the stars - fab!

• What about Glastonbury? Brighton is also arguably the most alternative city in Britain, and has a Green Party M.P!

I can second Liverpool too, a bad reputation, but actually a thriving, vibrant city with a real personality. People are friendly and lots going on. (I live nearby)

Good luck!

• No, but I've got a good idea about prices in various parts of the country. I've been looking around with similar ideas ;)

:eek::faint: Bbbbbut.... You adore Glastonbury because of all the wonderful hippies living there :D

£180k won't stretch far in most places. However, you can pick up some bargains in various parts of Wales at that price. Frankly, if you head into the sticks a bit, £180k will fetch you a High St. shop or a pub. :)

Ditto. Alternatively it would buy you 3 or 4 reasonable 2-3 bed properties in Birmingham/Manchester at auction - form yer own inner city community, or rent it all out :D

• You could get a gorgeous dutch barge for that kinda purse! And move about til ya find somewhere niiiice! They hold their value pretty well (not to be confused with widebeams) And hell!,you get a seagoing one,and most "proper" dutch barges are,you could moor up in Brighton,or the Dam,brilliant!! :)

I live on a sound lil Narrowboat with me dog.pagan and happy in my skin,single and chilled

• Hey Chook... I was reading a book the other day about this subject of eco living in groups on the land etc... if I havn't said already I will be looking to rent/purchase land in the new year (when my house is sold) and was thinking what if there was something in Lincolnshire! like you said, shame not to start something ourselves ;)

• Is no thread safe from a daily Mail link nowadays?Eccentric town, Todmorden, growing ALL its own vegQuite topical with Todmorden being so close to Hebden Bridge.It's an impressive thing to live as ecologically as sound as possible, but this takes it a step further in reaching out with an ecologically sound idea.

Well of course its fine when respectable hard working people do clever things, its only when hippies do it that it becomes a problem!

• Hebden Bridge is the hippy capital of the north. It's also the lesbian capital of Yorkshire. It's also really, really pretty.

Todmorden next to Hebdan is the real lesbian capital of Yorkshire
    but the weather's better in the South
    Brighton is expensive, so's Stroud
    and West wales is wet and not very Gay

• Hey gang...well...it's great to see such discussions :D
    At the moment I have started a group for Lincolnshire folk. However having taking loads of thoughts onboard with eco/hip/family/coastal/hilly/gay etc etc...i have a mashed head haha. Actually I think job and family lead the way to making somewhere suit what I'm looking for. We went up to Scarborough recently and had a cool time. Apparently their veggie cafe's are a little to be desired regarding food that needs imagination. lol so if anyone is looking for a catering business there's a clear opening in Scarborough! Asides from this I found a great atmosphere there and had some local info on festivals, surfing, pubs etc. I did check out the transition town side of things, online...and have yet to receive a reply...as it's rarrrther out of date!!

How about everyone just moves to Lincolnshire lol!! let's hippy it up! If you are already here and yet to join the group check it out on here.

Happy Chrimbly guys and gals :hippy:

• Hi,

Is it an eco place or more a nice place you are looking for? Anywhere can be eco, the main criteria IMO would be a place where car use age is easy to avoid, i.e. most things can be found within walking / cycling distance and somewhere where you can afford a small outside space to grow some food.