Winter boots dilemma...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey guys, I'm looking for other veggie/vegan opinions on my wee dilemma.

Every winter I get soaked, freezing. numb feet because I don't wear leather shoes/boots. I often end up wearing wellies in 2-3ft of snow, and my tootsies get frozen, and the snow even gets in my wellies which makes it worse.
    I've spent all of yesterday on the internet looking for a nice pair of waterproof boots, which will be warm inside (preferably fur lined) and fully waterproof so that even in waist-deep snow my feet at least will be warm. I've looked for hours for veggie alternatives to winter boots, but not found anything properly waterproof.

The best pair I've found is these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Tec…F8&qid=1316953827&sr=8-17
    They're the best pair I've found, but the problem is - they have leather upper :(

I've not worn leather shoes since I was 12, but I spent ages thinking about this. They would last so much longer than wellies (I go through wellies like nothing else) and environmentally, it's better than constantly throwing out holey wellies to go in the bin. And of course, from a comfort point of view, I'm not going to be freezing my toes off. But, could I actually wear them if I did buy them, or would I feel bad about wearing an animal's skin on my feet? But am I selling out? I don't want another year of soaking, cold feet, and they would last years, so...I don't know...

Your thoughts?

• There are loads of choices out there, if you put vegan winter boots into google and then switch to images there is an abundance. I would never choose to wear an animals skin but different people make different decisions, i would probably go for a less toasty boot and invest in some super warm socks to wear with them. Good luck with your quest x

We come with justice and fire. We come with honour and ideas. We come with decency and desire. We come now and we come as unstoppable as the rain

• Goretex socks?
    If you fancy Goretex as an option, go for Army Issue, generally speaking tougher wearing than most hiking brands, and cheaper too.

See here for an example:
    http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like…edPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Or maybe go round the charity shops and find some second-hand leather boots - some veggies/vegans find this option acceptable on the basis that they're not financially supporting the animal bi-product industry via such a purchase.

• There looks to be loads on google images.

I have goretex trainers which are amazing - I can walk the dog in the morning and still have dry feet to go to work without changing shoes and socks. Unfortunatly I think they may have leather uppers so they're not completely veggie.

I personally find wellies are terrible at keeping in what little warmth your feet try to give out so I'm muchy colder after a day in wellies anyway even if my feet aren't wet.

Hope you find a nice pair that tick all the boxes....and let us know which ones as I'm nosey!!

• Hey peeps :)

Thanks for all your lovely input so far, I just found a lovely vegan pair via Google - http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm…ode=339&Category_Code=020

The only problem is price :'( My family are really skint (like, REALLY) and it would be much cheaper to get them off eBay, and they don't have any! There is a pair of the ones in my original post above on eBay, but I'm not 100% about bidding...I wish I had more money, then I wouldn't have to worry about these things!

• ooooh they're lush!

i know your pain - my last pair of water tight shoes went through (you saw the thread ;)) and i had to go to the royal bank of dad's credit card and pay him off in bits to afford mine - things never wear out when you are flush!!!!

• Goretex socks?
    If you fancy Goretex as an option, go for Army Issue, generally speaking tougher wearing than most hiking brands, and cheaper too.

See here for an example:
    http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like…edPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Bad link above, so here's another for anyone else following this thread who might consider army gore-tex for waterproofing their leaky boots. More correctly these are actually boot liners (rather than socks like I said) and should be teamed with a thin pair of socks. I've heard good things about them anyway from hard-core walkers:
    http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Pr…urrentPage/0/Default.aspx

• I have this dilemma every year too. Waterproof veggie boots/shoes are so expensive and there's limited choice in terms of style. I also like to try things on before I buy as there's usually a lot of variation in size. That's not usually possible as they are usually internet purchases. I think this year I might have a look at second hand leather footwear on ebay. I have no ethical issues with that.

The one area I have made an exception, however, is with walking boots. I bought new leather boots as the vegan alternatives were so expensive, I couldn't try them on, and I was in a bit of a hurry to get a pair.

• I have this dilemma every year too. Waterproof veggie boots/shoes are so expensive and there's limited choice in terms of style. I also like to try things on before I buy as there's usually a lot of variation in size. That's not usually possible as they are usually internet purchases. I think this year I might have a look at second hand leather footwear on ebay. I have no ethical issues with that.

The one area I have made an exception, however, is with walking boots. I bought new leather boots as the vegan alternatives were so expensive, I couldn't try them on, and I was in a bit of a hurry to get a pair.

That's where I have an issue too, the cost, as I'm on a low income and have to financially support my mum and brother, and also the fact that I need a PROPERLY waterproof pair for the crappy weather we have here (it rains most days in Scotland!). I'm not planning on only buying leather shoes from now on, it's just this pair....