Van Insurance

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• So i bought a van, yey me!
    Insurance is looking super expensive though so where does everyone else get theres? Especially interested to know about any under 25 year olds cos i think it must be my age that is making it so much. thanks for your help :) xxx

• ive got mine insured with direct line, its around 400 for the year, its a long wheelbase high top plain white van with no windows.
    what i put inside it has nothing to do with the insurance company.
    make sure its insured as leisure only, limit the mileage if you can (they rarely, if ever check)
    makesure that an occupation cant possibly be associated with van usage otherwise the insurance just assume its for that, even if you tell them otherwise.

not sure what else can help....

• ive got mine insured with direct line, its around 400 for the year, its a long wheelbase high top plain white van with no windows.
    what i put inside it has nothing to do with the insurance company.
    make sure its insured as leisure only, limit the mileage if you can (they rarely, if ever check)
    makesure that an occupation cant possibly be associated with van usage otherwise the insurance just assume its for that, even if you tell them otherwise.

not sure what else can help....

yeah i have said its leisure only, occupation is student and milage is 5000, and i have 5 years no claims. my down sides are my age, 22 and that its kept on the street over night but theres nothing i can do about them

• Yay! Nice van! Can you do anything about the postcode? i.e. Where it's registered? It can make a hell of a difference.

its very nice :D not really, don't like the idea of risking saying i live at another address. i want a small excess on it cos i cant afford to pay out lots if anything does happen, and that doesn't seem to make a big difference to the insurance quotes im getting anyway

• its very nice :D not really, don't like the idea of risking saying i live at another address. i want a small excess on it cos i cant afford to pay out lots if anything does happen, and that doesn't seem to make a big difference to the insurance quotes im getting anyway

I wasn't suggesting lying as such, just being a little bit...creative? Can you find somewhere to park it off-road? Might be worth seeing if you could rent a place for a couple of quid a week if it makes that much difference. On the upside, it would be safer too of course. It's a pain when they get broken into, it happened to me. Of course I had to pay the excess and then next years insurance went up too. Cheaper to pay to park it somewhere safe.

• I wasn't suggesting lying as such, just being a little bit...creative? Can you find somewhere to park it off-road? Might be worth seeing if you could rent a place for a couple of quid a week if it makes that much difference. On the upside, it would be safer too of course. It's a pain when they get broken into, it happened to me. Of course I had to pay the excess and then next years insurance went up too. Cheaper to pay to park it somewhere safe.

doubt there would be anywhere that would be near enough to bother with that would be affordable

• The Co-op have always been pretty good for me, though I don't know how they are with under 25s. Worth a shot though. 08457 464646. :)

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• well so far aviva are proving to be soooo much cheaper than anyone else which is kinda cool, but keep giving me name sof insurers and il try them, the price comparison websites are rubbish!

• yeh its all a bit confusing, swift cover have told me they will beat any other price i find. but so far my best price is a bout a third of what there best price was