Pumpkin's Controversial Weight Loss Plan

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• and why do you want to change? is being the way you are right now really that much of a problem?

Because I feel emotionally stronger and physically healthier which makes everything else in life more enjoyable - however a victim mentality is much easier to maintain
    (I know the why's, I just need someone else to give me the initial push - once I've got the momentum I can keep on going :p )

• always listen to hannah - she speaks sense - and often silliness which will make you laugh - so its all good ;)

oooh there is no normal! i have absolutely no routine when it comes to food - i eat when i am hungry and stop when i'm full

indeed, the sillyness does make sense to me though, maybe not other people. also another tip, dont have unhealthy things in the house, I will never leave a chocolate bar unfinished! especially multi packs (even though specially offers like buy one get one free make this really really really hard!) cos then it just isnt there for you to eat and then you are forced to eat something proper. and then cos you are so good most of the time, when you are not good you dont have to feel guilty about it. and also, one thing i like to live buy is that if food is free, the calories dont count! this only works if you dont get free food very often. if it doesnt happen very often then its usually very exciting so you should make the most of it :D

• i think the reasons i don't eat are
    because i don't want to get overweight
    because i was brought up to believe that eating when you don't need to is somehow wrong or greedy or gluttenous (my mother never ate much)
    after a long time not eating much i can't eat a very lot in one go.

but then show me a curry and i can eat till i pop.

tonight i have a banana, some grapes, a small pack of mixed seeds and some thai prawns with noodles. and a diet coke.

i definitely need to do a proper shop and make sure i have plenty of couscous, salads, tuna and fruit at the ready so i don't fall into the trap of the crisps from the vending machine.

• Because I feel emotionally stronger and physically healthier which makes everything else in life more enjoyable - however a victim mentality is much easier to maintain
    (I know the why's, I just need someone else to give me the initial push - once I've got the momentum I can keep on going :p )

right then! homework - make a list of what you want to achieve and post it here then go and do something and photograph it to prove it and post pics in here - you are now accountable to the people on this thread and i delegate gargantuan butt kickings to them if i am not around and you are being a slack alice!!!

I was just wondering what types of food you eat and avoid because you have been so successful in losing weight and you look great (ooh that rhymes!)

thank you for the compliment :) my staples are...oatcakes, brown rice, eggs, halloumi, cheese, brown bread, brown pasta, cous cous, quinoa, berries, fruit, nuts, seeds, good quality yoghurt, quorn mince, home made plain popcorn, veg of all descriptions...(i'm not a veggie i just dont like the texture of most meat and dont tend to cook it at home - gimme a big mac though and i am carnivortastic!)

but i also like to eat cake so i make my own and then i see the sheer amount of fat and sugar in there it makes me eat less - i snack pretty much all day and night and have one major meal a day i still get the mega muchines and stuff my face but with raw veg and fruit - i like junk food and filth but these days my tastebuds and body prefer healthy stuff so i go for that first...

i still use bad for me food as a drug - i have put some weight on recently - i never weight myself and go on my clothes - size 12 is getting a bit tight and i am cultivating a muffin top so its time to cut back and walk more...

indeed, the sillyness does make sense to me though, maybe not other people. also another tip, dont have unhealthy things in the house, I will never leave a chocolate bar unfinished! especially multi packs (even though specially offers like buy one get one free make this really really really hard!) cos then it just isnt there for you to eat and then you are forced to eat something proper. and then cos you are so good most of the time, when you are not good you dont have to feel guilty about it. and also, one thing i like to live buy is that if food is free, the calories dont count! this only works if you dont get free food very often. if it doesnt happen very often then its usually very exciting so you should make the most of it :D

this is the easiest thing to implement - just dont buy it - i dont go down the crisp or biscuit aisles in the supermarket anymore - and when its not there you will realise just how often you go looking for food out of boredom or habit - you can double edge this trick too by making up healthy snacks like flapjack (yeah it can be healthy, load it with seeds and fruit and nuts and see the syrup for what it is and moderate your portions) raw veg sticks and a really gorgeous dip, cold rice salad or pasta salad hanging about in the fridge etc etc - oh and make a bowl of fruit salad and have a spoonful (just a spoonful) of ready made custard on the top - the key is mainly healthy but with a bit of filth to make it worthwhile ;)

ok, they sound like perfectly good reasons for your behaviour and easily tweaked in the right direction! one thing you could do is eat slow release energy rich foods so oats and brown rice - then if you dont eat again for hours you wont be suffering too badly - meet yourself where you are rather than trying to be something else...

so, homework - write a shopping list in this thread and commit to when you're gonna go do it then report back :)

• dude - you are a strange fruit who runs 15 miles before breakfast - us mere mortals approach food from the other end of the spectrum ;)

• aye - its about using whatever you put in - those of us who are triggered to eat for something other than needing fuel are buggered before we start ;) or those who simple cant do that much exercise and like to nom...

moving to a town with a HUGE hill and having to push a buggy full of toddler and shopping was what started everything off for me - nearly bloody killed me but i was suffering panic attacks at the time so i used to use the adrenaline to power me up the hill and then i had a positive spin on the anxiety ;)

• aye - its about using whatever you put in - those of us who are triggered to eat for something other than needing fuel are buggered before we start ;) or those who simple cant do that much exercise and like to nom...

moving to a town with a HUGE hill and having to push a buggy full of toddler and shopping was what started everything off for me - nearly bloody killed me but i was suffering panic attacks at the time so i used to use the adrenaline to power me up the hill and then i had a positive spin on the anxiety ;)

nice one ;) i would be lost without my health and fittness, and trust me i dont take it for granted and work hard at keeping it, would suggest to anyone reading this thread that its within yourself to feel better about you. If that means weight loss or just improved fitness as long as its for you and no one else then the sky's the limit. Well done auntie pumpkin im sure loads of them hippys will benifit from this thread :D

• Hi. I feel a bit cheeky popping in here as i'm new to this forum.
    First off well done everyone by being so honest.
    Second do you think your methods can work for a skinny girl? I'd LOVE to not be so thin but just can't eat anymore than I do without literally being sick. I hover between 7 1/2 and 8 stones when I should be 10, i'm fairly tall. More often than not I can go till tea time without eating a thing. Obviously i'm knacked ALL the time (also suffer insomnia so get about 2 hours sleep a day), the walk to school and back totally wipes me out. I kinda know I just need to eat more but the thought of it in my mouth and stomach will put me right off and feel full. I'm embarrassed infront of my hubby and cringe when I know he can feel my bones, even though we've been married 10 years and i've always been like this. I did go to the doc's about it but all he said was enjoy it, many woman dream to look like you. But they don't, I have a typical models body, which I find quite repulsive. Women are beautiful and I love the hip bit which isn't meant to be bone but a fleshy curve you can grab onto.
    I'll stop now cos I could babble forever. Sorry for intruding if this thread is limited to weight loss x

• no limits - we want you right here in the thick of it with us pixie-egg!

this thread is about finding out the REAL reasons why we do what we do - the title is a catchy hook to get people looking ;)

so - why don't you like to eat?

• nice one ;) i would be lost without my health and fittness, and trust me i dont take it for granted and work hard at keeping it, would suggest to anyone reading this thread that its within yourself to feel better about you. If that means weight loss or just improved fitness as long as its for you and no one else then the sky's the limit. Well done auntie pumpkin im sure loads of them hippys will benifit from this thread :D

hope so Jay - and thats the point innit? we can all do whatever we set our minds and hearts on but theres no shame in needing a leg up - and facing the REAL reasons for the things we need to change is (to me) the only way to go about it...

• no limits - we want you right here in the thick of it with us pixie-egg!this thread is about finding out the REAL reasons why we do what we do - the title is a catchy hook to get people looking ;)so - why don't you like to eat?

Ooh, thanks for replying!Good question that I was hoping you could help me find the answer too. When i'm in the right mood I could eat for england. Just most of the time I get full too easy. My weight didn't really bother me until I got pregnant and even family members were saying I could never carry to full term and I should expect the worse. Well fuck them, I had a healthy pregnancy and a BIG healthy baby. Then I was told i'd not be able to breastfeed. I did till HE gave it up. So since being a mother i've been made to feel lower class because of my weight. I can feel people starring and judgeing. And I also feel I should show my son a good example by finishing the super small portions but I just can't. So I don't think I don't like eating. I think eating doesn't like me.

• Ooh, thanks for replying!Good question that I was hoping you could help me find the answer too. When i'm in the right mood I could eat for england. Just most of the time I get full too easy. My weight didn't really bother me until I got pregnant and even family members were saying I could never carry to full term and I should expect the worse. Well fuck them, I had a healthy pregnancy and a BIG healthy baby. Then I was told i'd not be able to breastfeed. I did till HE gave it up. So since being a mother i've been made to feel lower class because of my weight. I can feel people starring and judgeing. And I also feel I should show my son a good example by finishing the super small portions but I just can't. So I don't think I don't like eating. I think eating doesn't like me.

excellent - i hear empowerment and a big ol dose of 'fuck you' - i like you already :)

do you think you could be being your own worst enemy? expecting too much of yourself and setting yourself up to 'fail' before you can 'succeed'?

what are your normal foods in the house and when was the last time you enjoyed eating something? do you like to eat out? or cook outdoors?

oh and i think i wanna :flame: your doctor - ignorant oaf

• Ha. I could have shot him too!

My bloody paragraphs keep disappearing when I submit post! God I hate my phone.

I think i'm definately subconsciously stopping myself eat more. I know I won't so I don't bother trying half the time. The last time I really enjoyed eating something was a big ole hog roast at beautiful days, with nearly the whole pot of apple sauce. I liked it that much I went right on back for another!

Foods in the house? This is were I might get told off. We eat lots of pasta, potatoes (baked for me!), salad, sandwiches on naughty white bread, tuna. My hubby is a meat and two veg kinda guy so I do miss having something more flavourful. So I only do "nice" stuff for my boy and I at lunch time occasionally. Hubby just won't touch anything with rice or noodles. He even wouldn't touch our home grown spud's the boy was so proud of.

Right... I'm making a shopping list next of things I think I might ENJOY but don't bother with anymore. -Ooh, you are good! X

• P.s. I do really like eating out somewhere where I know i'll be able to eat! And outdoor cooking is one of the few places i'll look like a right greedy mare x

• but you caught yourself doing it - score 1 to you ;)

i would seriously consider getting hubs to fend for himself mealwise for a little while - i am sure he wont starve and you please yourself totally - eat what you like and whenever you like - no rules, no timetable just go with the flow...

sound doable?

• Hmm, sounds very doable.

Hub's hardly eats with us anyway. Another reason I only pick at tea. I'm pissed at him for "not being hungry" after he'd known I was making a meal and trying to bribe the boy into eating something too (dog gets fed well on left overs). I'm afraid he's following me and would go days unless you reminded him. Not good since he's only 3.

Whatever I want when I want?? seems like a diet of fruit and creamcakes for a while! Nom

So i'm back to my shopping list and just getting "Bek food" :-) x

• epic :) look inside to your mamma tiger - feed yourself on what you like, when you like and let your boy see you enjoying food for foods sake - its a voyage of discovery and you're captain and he's first mate :) no charts no rules no regime just the open ocean and exciting islands to forage for new flavours (can you tell i have a 5 yo and a 2 yo?)

• ok, confession time...i have been on a major chocolate/sweets/anything sugary/fatty/crappy and bad for me fest for a few weeks now. i wasnt eating very well before tho ifn im honest...i'm 3weeks into giving up smoking and doing well with that and thinking maybe if i can kick the fags i can kick my addiction to sweet crap too...both got psycological elements...so maybe....

i lost nearly 2 stone between xmas 2009 till autumn 2010. i did bloody fabulously and felt great, happy with my shape and feeling lush, then i hurt my hip, edens dad died, my folks crap hit the fan and they almost split, and i got another huge bombshell dropped on me that im still not really handelling very well and generally life got tipped upside down and all the weight has gone back on almost. i want to get back there...to feeling fitter and looking better, having more confidence and generally getting on the way to being the woman i want to be...but i am very lacking in get up and go, i have good intentions for 5 minutes and then sort of think why bother, my original motivations for loosing somuch weight and getting fitter were related to the bombshell and no longer apply so im trying to think of some others that are strong enough to beat my tendancy to eat to stop hurting, and to satisfy the huge cravings i have for sugarty crap and make me excercise even though it really hurts just moving about right now cos the fibro is kicking my arse. arg. what do i do...where do i start?

i began today by putting sugar away and getting sweetner for my tea, got some honey in for my herbal tea's so i will have a little of that and not two spoons of white nasty sugar....i drink a lot of tea so its a start. i also stopped buying huge amounts of crap at the supermarket, got banana's amnd rice cakesin, planned a few nice meals and thought about getting on the wii.....what next??

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• Brilliant thread, Janna - you rock! :D Just a few tips that have passed through my mind, I will be repeating some stuff that's already been said.

• If you don't think you eat much or any junk, look at your portion sizes at meal times. That's a brilliant place to start. It's easy to reduce them and as Janna said, use smaller plates - the psychology is amazing!
    • Next, drink more water. The head can interpret thirst as hunger so if you think you're feeling hungry, go deeper within and challenge that thought/feeling.
    • Breakfast should be consumed and it should theoretically be the biggest meal of the day. Not only have you burned calories overnight, but you've got the morning to get through. As such dinner should be the smallest meal as generally speaking, most people use very little energy in the evening.
    • Soups for dinner regularly are brilliant. Avoid bread with soup but if you need the carbs have oatcakes or rice cakes (try not to smother in butter!)
    • Exercise. If you don't like exercise, try things that don't automatically make you think of exercise! Like walking, housework etc.
    • With all of those home-baked goodies, try substituting sugar with molasses - it makes very dark and intense flapjacks plus it's full of iron! However, I'm not sure how the calory count compares to refined sugar but it's much better for you.

Now it's my turn.....

Dear Aunty Hamma,

After being diagnosed with coeliac disease 2 years ago, during an extended time of bad stuff, I seem to have lost my ability to stop eating when I need to. I've always had this ability but now I can't stop! Not only that but because I'm so restricted in what I can eat out, if I see a gluten free product I MUST have it - and it's usually cake :S As a result, I have started to gain weight. I'm not overweight but if I don't sort out my shit now, then I may be heading that way! Saying that, the last couple of days I've made a real effort to not eat junk or overeat......but how can I maintain that? And like Noctula, I lack self-motivation with exercise - even going out for a walk is a real mental effort.

Can you fix it for me? :D

• Not only that but because I'm so restricted in what I can eat out, if I see a gluten free product I MUST have it - and it's usually cake :S As a result, I have started to gain weight. I'm not overweight but if I don't sort out my shit now, then I may be heading that way! Saying that, the last couple of days I've made a real effort to not eat junk or overeat......but how can I maintain that? And like Noctula, I lack self-motivation with exercise - even going out for a walk is a real mental effort.

Can you fix it for me? :D

I can so relate to this! Also, if I get something gluten free, Daz won't eat it because it's expensive and not as nice. That leaves me to eat a whole cake/packet of biscuits etc.
    I think I'm going to get some tupperware so I can put opened stuff in it and not use the 'it needs eating or it will go stale' excuse that I use at the moment!

• Yes, I have a container for open packets, works a treat! Annoyingly, although rather sweetly, I have a friend who makes amazing cakes and she will randomly make me stuff as a surprise - last week I got a whole bag of brownies! :panic:

• And it would be rude to turn them down!!

My mum does that, she's always giving me cake when I see her (then comments on my weight, which is only half a stone heavier than my normal-happy-weight but mothers are nice like that ;))

• I looked at what I ate yesterday and I am ashamed to say I ate just over 800 cals :(
    Todays is gonna add up to just around 1000.
    My BMI is 22 so I am not underweight but I know I am not eating enough.