Pumpkin's Controversial Weight Loss Plan

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• sugar free jelly! i have trouble with the evenings too....did brilliantly yesterday only to scupper myself at ten oclock at night.....but with a bowl of sugar free jelly made up in the fridge i can munch on it for ages....with sod all calories:) you can add fruit to it too if you want to be super healthy, and a dollop of muller light yoghurt...toffee flavour is good, or banana and custard:) makes a lovely pudding/snack thingy and wont ruin your diet:)

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• I've enjoyed a meal! Went shopping and got loads of yummy stuff (turned out cheaper than normal too). We had goulash made from scratch. Even my little boy ate every single bite. Hubby put his in the bin and had cereal, bums to him! I'm very please with us both and going to tackle noodles tonight.

Due to another thread too i'm on a big mission to look after myself more and I now know food is going to play a large part of this.

Just thought i'd let you know it's going well. And thanks for helping to motivate me.

• Me?I stopped doing set meals and ate when I was hungry - I cooked plenty of veg, got protein from legumes and eggs, snacked on salads and made eating for function more important than eating for taste. Some of the stuff I'd eat was quite unconventional ... like roasting up parsnips to snack on or eating fried spinach and mushrooms for breakfast. :D

Yes Thanks for that Paul

• doesn'tt the weight all go back on again once you start eating normally though. (im not talking about the crap way i eat now but a normal healthy diet which includes grains and dairy) i could stand that for maybe a few weeks but to eat like that forever would just not suit me at all.

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• Potentially yes - but that's the same with all diets. I think stopping a diet and reverting to junk food is clearly a bad idea - but we don't need to be in a constant state of "dieting" to stay slim.

I think that knowing my potential and keeping myself in check has stopped me from piling it all back on. I know how easy I can lose it, I know how much I hated the weight gain and I know how much I love being in shape.

I may pile it all back on in the long term - it isn't my intention, but I also have the knowledge to do something about it.

• lol see this is why i dont ever want to be 'on a diet' ever again, i just want to eat a healthy amount of food, get all my goodness and not go up on the scales for evermore, lol. in order to do that though i have to get over my tendancies to round off the days eating with excess empty calories for comfort.

i have been keeping a food diary the last week and it has really helped me see my patterns, what works and what just doesnt. i have been told to do it for years but never have, lol but it is a helpful tool to analyse what you eat and when and why.

• I think it's important to get into good habits, but I also think fast results are great for boosting your enthusiasm.

I agree with getting into good habits but I don't necessarily agree with fast results being good for you - if you have a history of having a disordered relationship with food, particularly if that history involves anorexic and/or bulimic tendencies, then going on a diet that gives fast results can be enough to kick start the disordered thinking again. You lose a few pounds quickly and you might get the kick of enthusiasm but it can easily move beyond that and it's easy to return to the disordered mindset without even being aware of it happening. And this doesn't just include 'diets' that involves counting calories, or points, or fat grams, or carbs or what have you. If someone embarks on a 'diet' that promises optimum health and weight loss by removing wheat and dairy from the diet for example, then that can kick start the obsessional thought processes as well. Just the knowledge that you're on a 'diet' can be enough and I think, for a lot of people, the word 'diet' needs to be removed completely from the vocabulary. It really doesn't help.

I think if you're doing something, and it's giving you the results you desire, then carry on - if not, then try something different. :)

Same thing as above. And many, many people (and t'be honest I feel it's primarily women, but its starting to effect men more I think) have a disordered relationship with food, be that over-eating, anorexic/bulimic tendencies or something in between, and there's a whole host of complicated reasons behind it that going on a 'diet' won't fix.

• Well of course, if someone has a specific eating disorder then they would need to work within the scope of that - that would apply to anyone with any specific diet or health related condition.

I don't count calories - I just eat the healthiest foods I can without beating myself up too much if I don't ... but many foods popularly considered healthy aren't necessarily so - and certain foods have an almost addictive quality to them - so they're the ones I try to avoid most.

I also believe in being a bit pragmatic in certain social situations - rather than being the "bloke with the weird food thing", I'll be less strict when I'm in company or having something prepared for me.

I was 13 stone 4 - I'm currently 11 stone 4 - I've gained an extra couple of pounds from weight training, but I'm totally cool with that - I have no idea what works for other people, I'm just sharing what works for me with the intention that someone else might find inspiration from it - but yeah, don't do anything silly like kill yourself, 'cos that would be daft. :)

• frustrated, after a nice steady loss of 3 lb over the last two weeks, i put on 2 pounds since yesterday...i weigh myself when i get on the wii to do my stretches and stuff in the mornings, usually around the same time, pisses me off that it can fluctuate like that, i find it very demoralising, keep telling myself it could be water retention, or needing the loo or whatever, that it take s time etc but im pissed off, i've worked hard lately, especially this last week and i find staying motivated very very hard. meh. heres to a better week next week aye.

• lol i know, but the wii does it, and its nice to see the little graphwith allits ups and downs to reassure me it could go down a lot more tomoro, its so weird how it fluctuiates over a month

• If you are going to weigh yourself every day, do it first thing in the morning after going to the loo. You'll get the most consistent results that way :)

• :) thats what i try to do most days, though it depends on if im running late for the school run or not, lol

• darlings i am following this thread as it winds its way through our stories of now...i am mega busy with life stuff and for once am not abusing my internet access ;) (you impressed? i certainly am)

i am warmed to see you supporting each other - i knew you lot had a sordid little food addiction in common with me - oh i feel so normal now thanx...

i just munched a bowl of brown rice, veg and halloumi and washed it down with a bit fat rum and full sugar coke - who says you cant have it all

Auntie Pumpkin has your collective backs as ever and i will devote an evening to you all soon

COLLECTIVE HOMEWORK

complete and utter honesty in this ere thread pleasey...i wanna know the pitfalls, the moments of madness (3 chocolate mini rolls, half a bag of doritos and a half a box of ferrero rocher anyone :o) the smug bastard successes and all that jazz - i drop in to read every day and will stroke egos or kick arse as i see fit

AUNTIE PUMPKIN IS WATCHING YOU...

*snoggage*

• ooops, i forgot to report back. well, the homework went very well, so well infact that we decided i should do it every night i was with him :D :p
    this week is going to be interesting on the diet front, moved in to uni halls yesterday & have a mad week of inductions, enrollments & all that jazz. plus they left a 'welcome box' in my room full of unhealthy things, i am thinking of hiding them around my room in awkward places so i have to make the effort to locate them if i am tempted :p

* Go tell the sun * Go tell the rain * Something inbetween *
    * Is happening these days *

• Today I am just under 12 stone. I started weight watchers a couple of months ago at 13 stone, and considering I am not able to do even a tiny bit of exercise I am pretty damn pleased with myself! :D

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• well i have been ill all weekend so not eaten loads to be honest but have been lying around mostly feeling sorry for my self
    will get back on it when feeling a1 again

well done stardust well chuffed for ya hunny

lyns sugar free jelly in the fridge as i type

its donnas bday today and i made cake so going to have a really small piece

• I have been on holiday for a few weeks and I let my diet go a little (I'm looking at you burger with bacon and cheese). Set myself a target of no alcohol, caffeine or ridiculously large amounts of food between now and my birthday. I'm also planning on restarting my workouts when we are settled in at home again and will be joining you guys on this thread :). The new plan starts at 104.6 KG (16.5 st or 230lb).

• no, you can fix it for yourself though - effort is the thing - approach it obliquely - free up energy from other parts of your life so you have it to point at swinging your eating habits back to where you would like them ;)

I looked at what I ate yesterday and I am ashamed to say I ate just over 800 cals :(
    Todays is gonna add up to just around 1000.
    My BMI is 22 so I am not underweight but I know I am not eating enough.

how are you getting on groovester?

Auntie Pumpkin, please give me the kick up the arse I need to stop eating any crap at all!

The good thing is, I have tried losing weight before and been really strict about it for 2-3 weeks and then when I couldn't see any change, gave up and went back to eating once a day and snacking. This time, I seem to of stuck with it for a couple of months and can see in my mind that i AM going to lose weight and get down to a size 12-14, whatever it takes and I can do it, I will do it and for my own happiness and wellbeing, I need to do it.

Waffle over :)

bend over then ;)

Vik you don't have enough self worth - you are a pleaser and you capitulate when really you want to stand firm - for years now you have complimented me on my strength, courage, power - no doubt because you see qualities you desire in yourself - well the kicking is thus

YOU ARE ALREADY GOOD ENOUGH...and that secret part of yourself which you cant lie to knows it - your actions sometimes will be out of sync with that bit of you - the real, eternal you and the inner conflict is easy to distract with a bit of food

now - you have survived and triumphed over a period of adversity - bettering yourself through lifestyle, housing and gaining of skills while being a fab mum, girlfriend, friend

now its YOUR time...find your voice, grab your life by the balls and give it a shake and the rest will follow cos if you are LIVING the tone of putting yourself first the food thing will click

love ya girl!

I think my prob is exercise

yes, yes it is ;) keep on keeping on sensi - dont worry too much about what you're eating - by dieting you might be stealing energy you really culd be using for looking the aggy in the eyeballs and smiting it with flaming sword

but i will take it one stap at a time, i need to give myself credit for what i have achieved in the past and look on this as a relapse, not a faliure...im dealing with a lot of hard stuff at the moment, but i will get there, i will come through it in the end.

yes, you will - the power is within you lynz - like i said to vik this is your time now - no more surviving - time to LIVE!!! and sculpt the body you want to enjoy that life with

Hugs to everyone on this thread, losing weight is a bitch and It took me a long time to admit I had a problem in the first place. At the beginning of this year I was heavy enough my scales couldn't give me a reading, new scales showed me a scary 21 Stone, I think that was the moment it all changed. I couldn't walk up stairs or run around after koby without getting breathless. Since then I have been using the same methods on this thread in regards to building meals and cutting portions, I started an exercise program using an Xbox 360 Kinect game UFC: Personal Trainer which gave me strict workout routine while keeping track of things like Reps and Time so I could see my progress. I'm no longer using the trainer due to crazy travelling and an even more hectic lifestyle but am now down to 16.5 Stone and feel so much better. Some weeks I go without losing weight and others I will lose 1-2Kg and I have learnt not to stress about whether I have or not.

Be strong people it will take as long as it takes and there is no set method for everyone, I still enjoy a nice burger and can of energy drinks. Dieting doesn't have to mean eating things you hate.

:thumbup:

bloody well done to you Mr!!!

• :eek: There you go! try smoking just a little bit of it :D no wonder you get the munchies :)

Only joking girls. :reddevil: This thread is brilliant & well done to all for facing your demons. :thumbup: change your head and the rest will come after.

fnar fnar :D you're right - its all about the headology innit?

Help!!

what do you need help with hippynurse?

Bought swimming costume yesterday - went to the pool today and because it was early afternoon it was really quiet and I had a whole lane to myself :D

Thought I'd go for the 10 lengths as planned, finished up pushing myself for 32 lengths (half a mile). Breast stroke mind - I tried front crawl and manged half a length lol No photographic evidence mind. No way am I posting a pic of me wearing a swimsuit online :p

(Had my goggles on too tight - still have read marks across the bridge of my nose!! :eek: )

you're a motherfucking superstar innit?

I'm doing so badly at all of this. Fucking comfort eating. :(

ach dont worry about it - what you need to learn is forgiveness - to forgive yourself for slipping up and realising you are normal!

Me too I do really well in the day then when it gets too evening icant help it I just have some biscuits and try telling myself it's a one off but it's not
    I know what i need to do I need to get happier and that means properly conquering the aggy
    Get out for walks etc so I don't have so much whirling round my head in the evenjng

go for a walk in the evening ;) you spend each day busy busy and then at night you are in the same physical space as all that whirlymessfamilyshizzle - you need to go somewhere else to break the cycle

or, if thats too big a deal just yet

HOMEWORK: get the kids and ste to make you a sensi space down the garden - fire pit, kindling, wood to burn, something to cook on the fire and then you and him settle down there and tell em you're not accepting visitors - its on your turf, safe, secure - means you get some nurturing in return from your now adult children and also sends them a message of mum needs looking after too

press your case, stand up for yourself and DO IT!

listen to the batty one - she knows her onions - one thing i will say though is if you start to get results then it all becomes A LOT easier

• Me?

I stopped doing set meals and ate when I was hungry - I cooked plenty of veg, got protein from legumes and eggs, snacked on salads and made eating for function more important than eating for taste. Some of the stuff I'd eat was quite unconventional ... like roasting up parsnips to snack on or eating fried spinach and mushrooms for breakfast. :D

absolutely second this - the best thing you can do is forget about mealtimes and listen to your body - dont eat cos its lunchtime - eat cos you're hungry (obviously work restricts this in some cases but there are ways round it)

sugar free jelly! i have trouble with the evenings too....did brilliantly yesterday only to scupper myself at ten oclock at night.....but with a bowl of sugar free jelly made up in the fridge i can munch on it for ages....with sod all calories:) you can add fruit to it too if you want to be super healthy, and a dollop of muller light yoghurt...toffee flavour is good, or banana and custard:) makes a lovely pudding/snack thingy and wont ruin your diet:)

:clap: oatcakes and good quality yoghurt is also a good one - cos then you get slow release carbs to keep yer blood sugar level

I've enjoyed a meal! Went shopping and got loads of yummy stuff (turned out cheaper than normal too). We had goulash made from scratch. Even my little boy ate every single bite. Hubby put his in the bin and had cereal, bums to him! I'm very please with us both and going to tackle noodles tonight.

Due to another thread too i'm on a big mission to look after myself more and I now know food is going to play a large part of this.

Just thought i'd let you know it's going well. And thanks for helping to motivate me.

you are more than welcome - this has had me grinning from ear to ear - bloody well done you!!!

lol see this is why i dont ever want to be 'on a diet' ever again, i just want to eat a healthy amount of food, get all my goodness and not go up on the scales for evermore, lol. in order to do that though i have to get over my tendancies to round off the days eating with excess empty calories for comfort.

i have been keeping a food diary the last week and it has really helped me see my patterns, what works and what just doesnt. i have been told to do it for years but never have, lol but it is a helpful tool to analyse what you eat and when and why.

good for you - i am enjoying watching your progress lynz :D and yup - i am not on a diet - i eat healthily and cos i eat healthy most of the time i can have fish and chips and chinese and cake and rum and crisps every now and then if i want - i dont deny myself anything - i value myself enough to keep it in moderation

Potentially yes - but that's the same with all diets. I think stopping a diet and reverting to junk food is clearly a bad idea - but we don't need to be in a constant state of "dieting" to stay slim.

I think that knowing my potential and keeping myself in check has stopped me from piling it all back on. I know how easy I can lose it, I know how much I hated the weight gain and I know how much I love being in shape.

I may pile it all back on in the long term - it isn't my intention, but I also have the knowledge to do something about it.

YES! this is the thing - i lost weight dramatically at times through illness - sickness bugs etc - and instead of worry about it i was glad i had the reserves to lose then used it as a psychological springboard to keep eating well

I agree with getting into good habits but I don't necessarily agree with fast results being good for you - if you have a history of having a disordered relationship with food, particularly if that history involves anorexic and/or bulimic tendencies, then going on a diet that gives fast results can be enough to kick start the disordered thinking again. You lose a few pounds quickly and you might get the kick of enthusiasm but it can easily move beyond that and it's easy to return to the disordered mindset without even being aware of it happening. And this doesn't just include 'diets' that involves counting calories, or points, or fat grams, or carbs or what have you. If someone embarks on a 'diet' that promises optimum health and weight loss by removing wheat and dairy from the diet for example, then that can kick start the obsessional thought processes as well. Just the knowledge that you're on a 'diet' can be enough and I think, for a lot of people, the word 'diet' needs to be removed completely from the vocabulary. It really doesn't help.

Same thing as above. And many, many people (and t'be honest I feel it's primarily women, but its starting to effect men more I think) have a disordered relationship with food, be that over-eating, anorexic/bulimic tendencies or something in between, and there's a whole host of complicated reasons behind it that going on a 'diet' won't fix.

i agree - 'diet' implies there is a different 'normal' way of eating and somehow we are failures for not being slim while eating like that

like i said above a good kickstart has helped me a few times - either illness or having to walk up from town a lot with a loaded buggy and toddler cos life just worked like that...i always get bigger in the school hols cos my exercise drops away but i dont sweat it cos i know i am eating right and come term time i will slim down again

health is the thing - go for being healthy inside and out - your actual body size is immaterial

I don't count calories - I just eat the healthiest foods I can without beating myself up too much if I don't ... but many foods popularly considered healthy aren't necessarily so - and certain foods have an almost addictive quality to them - so they're the ones I try to avoid most.

I also believe in being a bit pragmatic in certain social situations - rather than being the "bloke with the weird food thing", I'll be less strict when I'm in company or having something prepared for me.

I was 13 stone 4 - I'm currently 11 stone 4 - I've gained an extra couple of pounds from weight training, but I'm totally cool with that - I have no idea what works for other people, I'm just sharing what works for me with the intention that someone else might find inspiration from it - but yeah, don't do anything silly like kill yourself, 'cos that would be daft. :)

agreed with all of this ;)

frustrated, after a nice steady loss of 3 lb over the last two weeks, i put on 2 pounds since yesterday...i weigh myself when i get on the wii to do my stretches and stuff in the mornings, usually around the same time, pisses me off that it can fluctuate like that, i find it very demoralising, keep telling myself it could be water retention, or needing the loo or whatever, that it take s time etc but im pissed off, i've worked hard lately, especially this last week and i find staying motivated very very hard. meh. heres to a better week next week aye.

weigh yourself much less often - i know the wii tells you but look at the BMI bit not the lbs bit - you are playing the long game with all this - come to me in 6 months and we'll see how you've done

ooops, i forgot to report back. well, the homework went very well, so well infact that we decided i should do it every night i was with him :D :p
    this week is going to be interesting on the diet front, moved in to uni halls yesterday & have a mad week of inductions, enrollments & all that jazz. plus they left a 'welcome box' in my room full of unhealthy things, i am thinking of hiding them around my room in awkward places so i have to make the effort to locate them if i am tempted :p

superb (nice one tom - i knew you wouldnt let me down - she really is scrummy isnt she?) don't worry lovely - life is hectic at time - i ate rubbish and big family cooked roasty meals for a good week or so recently and i bloody enjoyed every mouthful cos i knew it was 'normal' for me and a food holiday - you'll keep on with it i can tell and starting uni is a great way to invest in new habits

Today I am just under 12 stone. I started weight watchers a couple of months ago at 13 stone, and considering I am not able to do even a tiny bit of exercise I am pretty damn pleased with myself! :D

GO STARDUST!!!

have a HUGE piece and enjoy it - its her birthday - its not about denying yourself - you are not suffering by eating well - you are living and investing in yourself

• I have been on holiday for a few weeks and I let my diet go a little (I'm looking at you burger with bacon and cheese). Set myself a target of no alcohol, caffeine or ridiculously large amounts of food between now and my birthday. I'm also planning on restarting my workouts when we are settled in at home again and will be joining you guys on this thread :). The new plan starts at 104.6 KG (16.5 st or 230lb).

missed this one off that epic post sorry lewis!

being mindful is the thing - every time you say 'yes' to some junk you have to say 'no' one more time to catch up ;)

• and now for me...

well...

remember i had let myself creep upwards a bit? clothes all tight?

i have sacked off the bad foods again now life has settled down a touch - i am glad i caught myself and being accountable to you lot certainly helps my willpower

i am currently dressed in clothing which is all size 10 or 12 (the only way i measure my size) and am actively seeking opportunities to exercise

all going well methinks

i am going to start a food diary thread where we can all confess our sins or big our smug selves up

• Oooh, can I have a moment of smugness? :angel:

I have stopped all sugar in all drinks and on cereals. I used to be the biggest sugar addict I knew! I have also kicked caffine on the head coz I got so ill every time I ran out. I'm only drinking roobosh now. I've nearly cut out all aditives and preservatives. I'm not just on a mission just to lose weight (although I need to) I'm more on a mission to make myself well.

For people who have a need for something sweet and are struggling, I have been allowing myself one of these a day. Nothing in it apart from dried apples and strawberries. They're yummy, and only one weightwatchers point! This company is great and deliver really fast if you're thinking of using them.

That's one thing I've found really handy is having healthy snacks to hand coz then I don't reach for the nearest unhealthy thing I can find!

And yes, chocolate is now an incredibly rare part of my diet! :eek:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Ooh I love them too, not had one in ages.
    My problem with food is that I get bored in the evening and find myself in the kitchen, opening cupboards aimlessly looking for something to eat.