UK Riots

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I don t really think this mans a racist, ok he s a bloody fool, however i do believe his choice of words was a tad foolish, ok in inner city london, you do get white kids talking very strangly, however this theaory is sort of bollocks because you get kids in salford still looting and there accents are northern! however if i had a kid that came home on a night and started talking like a ganster rapper id be honestly pissed off, id also be pissed off if me lad talked like a er (chav) basicly, in all cultures this harsh rough spreak has a stigma a bit like accents used to haVE, but hey most people drop theese accents be it northern etc or soften them a bit to get on with everyone.

• Any one bringing up Enoch Powel's rivers of blood speech IMO is racist He was rude and out of order on newsnight

English has assimilated many words from other cultures
    Well used words such as bungalow, pyjama, pundit, dinghy, trek, amok, cul de sac, beef, pork, admiral, chemistry, alcohol, assasin

Its what language does it evolves and changes

• did anyone watch young voters question time last night i hope the powers that be where and they need 2 listen and not to ignore or it will happen again

they need 2 talk to the peeps around these places listen 2 whats being said and act on it, not ignore it like every bit of advise they get that they dont like .if not this wont go away peeps dont riot on this scale without a reason,it will happen again otherwise !!

also there on about evicting peeps from council houses exc that realy is an incentive 4 parents 2 grass there kids up isnt it,heres my kid and heres my keys ,yeh right :wall:

• I haven't seen anyone so respected be so wrong on so many levels and in so many ways for...in fact I can't remember, he managed to insult and patronise in so many ways I thought I'd puke. Hopefully, this will put an end to his tv career, just like the author of "rivers of blood", who ruined a promising career. Good riddance.

• I can tell the stereotype of teenagers isn't going to improve after this. I'm young and I wasn't rioting on Monday night, I was volunteering at a children's hospice. Yet according to a lot of 'intelligent' people with power in this country - all teenagers are trouble.

• I can tell the stereotype of teenagers isn't going to improve after this. I'm young and I wasn't rioting on Monday night, I was volunteering at a children's hospice. Yet according to a lot of 'intelligent' people with power in this country - all teenagers are trouble.

You have my sympathy, my sons weren't out rioting either but the truth is unimportant. Our leaders want all teenagers to be villains so they can appear tough on them. At least for the moment. I wonder if Cameron has forgotten "hug a hoodie". Blair certainly forgot the bit about "tough on the causes of crime", and now youth facilities are closing left right and centre and the buildings sold off. Our council said "it's not about buildings, it's about providing services". Just how they think they can run a youth centre without an actual youth centre is beyond me.
    Congratulations on the voluntary work and I hope this lot don't get you down, not everyone thinks teenagers are evil, only politicians. I'd avoid politicians like the plague. In fact if you see one I think you ought to report it...

• i find the closing of youth clubs to be particularly annoying. had some great times down ours when i was younger and the weekly discos were a definite high point. their closing down seems to me to be symbolic of the establishments attitude to the young in general. we still got upto no good so i'm not saying they're the cure but it at least shows interest in providing activities and entertainment for young folk in a safe environment.

• I must be missing something. Can someone please explain why grammar school educated getaway driver Laura Johnson is remanded on bail after coming up before the bench, yet most others are remanded in custody?:whistle:

• I haven't seen anyone so respected be so wrong on so many levels and in so many ways for...in fact I can't remember, he managed to insult and patronise in so many ways I thought I'd puke. Hopefully, this will put an end to his tv career, just like the author of "rivers of blood", who ruined a promising career. Good riddance.

I don't know why he's so respected, as a historian he's completely biased in his telling of history. He's offensive when he's on Question Time most times he appears. He's fond of slagging off the Scots and now he's going further and being openly prejudice to non whites basically. I don't know why they ask him on these shows. In Glasgow terms he's a bawbag!

• Anarchists do not belong....

I Cant believe whats gone on in tottenham, Its just unreal. I've said it before and i'll say it again, were regressing, hello 1981. Fucking anarchists once again destorying the reputation of honest protesters, makes me sick.

I must point out that the recent riots were not anarchist led! I might also point out that I am working class and do not have faith in any political party of any colour. I certainly would not follow, or be led any armchair theorist from the middle classes. Useless turds in my view.

• I was working at a festival when this started and didn't know anything about it till the Tuesday when I stopped at a shop.

Seems like the people who got nicked will have the book thrown at them because they threatened middle class peoples shops and businesses. When this sort of thing happens in the estates no one seems to care apart from the poor people who get burned out their homes. Personally the people I feel sorry for were the ones in rental flats above shops that got burned as they've lost everything and got no insurance.

• Many of the businesses that were trashed were not middle class shops and businesses; independent convenience stores, newsagents, hairdressers often run by first or second generation immigrants. The two former who could easily lose out to the major supermarkets, who even if their extra layers of security were breached will be back up and running much sooner thanks to the vast scale of their organisations, and the fact that they won't have to wait at least a fortnight for their insurance companies to cough up.

Those smaller businesses could easily suffer a double hit, the riot and then the delayed restart.

• Just to further prove that race has nothing to do with it ...

"Some of the looters in the Cafe de Paris cut off the people's fingers to get the rings," recalled Ballard Berkeley, a policeman during the Blitz who later found fame as the 'Major' in Fawlty Towers. Even the wounded in the Cafe de Paris were robbed of their jewellery amid the confusion and carnage.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/…tz-spirit-uk-riots-london

• Forget the riots the politics and social anger . If from the start the police delt with it as they do on every town on Saturday night it would have been normal , but ... why it din't happen ? This was the perfect trainig exercise ! {the excuse was there }the seed was on the grownd ,who gave it the fertelizer and benefit from that ? The police!!!! Net under control ! CHECK!!! Cofirm address ! CHECK !!! Do you want me to go on?

• yeah live in your protected bubble, the guy shot dead, which is a tragic thing, did he ever carry a gun? did he shoot at police? or was he the lovely boy that helped grandmothers cross the street? take your pick.......................